Notices

Migraine and alcohol

Old 01-09-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Migraine and alcohol

I知 prone to severe, infrequent migraine headaches as a teetotaler. When I was drinking the migraines were absent. I have no interest in drinking again to prevent migraine. I知 just curious as to whether anyone else here has had similar experience.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I got horrendous migraines as a drinker, now sober I do still get them but they are not as bad as they were. I take Sumatriptan as soon as I feel one coming.

I hope you find a healthy solution.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get very dizzy after quitting drinking - I can be sat/laying down and I feel like I知 on a ship! Very disconcerting. But I suppose after nearly two decades of very heavy drinking, my poor body and nervous system needs time to readjust to the new status quo. Hope your migraines leave you soon for good!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dr. is likely to be the right answer for this question.

But, in my experience...

I never had migraines that I know of, but I do get headaches and body aches. My friend gets migraines and he told me it was like someone was stabbing his brain, behind his eyes, with an ice pick.

Prayers for any suffering like that you are experiencing now and in the future. Again, hopefully a medical expert is helping you.

One of many benefits of not drinking anymore is that my mind and body are not poisoned with booze.

Therefore, I have less concern about liver damage taking OTC aspirin/ibuprofen.

When I was drinking, I knew that taking that stuff while hungover was hurting me more. So, I would grudgingly take it, feel better, then drink afterwards. I was heavily addicted and uneducated.

I take aspirin/ibuprofen now when needed with little to no worry. I have yet to take malatonin because I don't want to alter my natural sleep ability. My natural sleep ability has continuously improved since I changed my lifestyle to a never drinking again proud teetotaler.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a migraine sufferer both when I was an active alcoholic and now, 7 years sober. In fact, still dealing with one right now since last night. Consult your doctor, my friend! Migraines are mysterious beasts and there are some good new options for treatment available, including a daily preemptive medication if they're very severe or become so frequent they interfere with day to day life.

I'm sorry to hear it, I feel ya and it's no darn fun dealing with Migraine.

(ps - trust me, alcohol isn't the solution).

Old 01-09-2021, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I had serious migraines for a couple decades regardless of whether I was drinking or not. Like FreeOwl says, they're mysterious and the only way out for me was menopause. I guess that's probably not going to be of help to you since you're a male I think. My paternal grandfather also suffered from migraines, so maybe there's a genetic link.

At the end, in my forties, I was on seven different daily medications to keep from having a migraine 25 out of every 30 days. Migraines are debilitating and life-crushing. I still had to take Maxalt (a triptan) three or four times a month even while taking other anti-anxiety, tricyclic, anti-seizure, and beta blocker meds.

It was costing me hundreds of dollars a month in medication and lost work. Now post-menopause I'm on zero drugs.

Keep seeking! I hope you find some relief.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

See a doc for real answers Cascabel. But my guess is that it might be like my sleep experience. When I was drinking, I "slept" 11+ hours per day. Passed out, awful sleep devoid of any restful benefit. But nevertheless, I slept. Sober, I have a terrible time getting consistent sleep. I feel tired the morning after a fitful night, but I am not hung over, my head is peaceful and clear, and I can get on with my day. With your migranes, maybe your body stopped doing that because it was so poisoned that the synapses, including the pain synapses, just weren't firing right. And now that it has a chance to focus on the matters at hand, your body is able to send you pain signals as it was designed to do.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cascabel

I’m sorry.

life long sufferer here..drinking or not didn’t seem to make any difference to me to be honest, although nowadays I get the aura kind...just as debilitating.

How long have you been sober now?