Notices

Five Years Sober Today!

Old 01-01-2021, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five Years Sober Today!

Hello and Happy New Year!

Today I am officially five years sober! I remember reading somewhere that five years constitutes long term sobriety a few years ago and I have been looking forward to hitting this milestone.

I joined SR in 2012, and spent a few years alternating between sobriety and failed attempts at moderation. Fast forward to NYE of 2015 and something in me just said enough. There was no big incident, I was just reflecting on the past year and was tired of not being able to be 100% at everything. I was tired of waking up with a foggy head, tired of thinking about when I could pour a glass of wine, tired of bartering with myself at night about whether I could just have another glass because there isn’t much left in the bottle anyway. I knew I wanted to be around for my kids, and I wanted to be healthy and present.

The first thing I did was join the January of 2016 Class. I had been on SR on and off and I knew that this would be the best place for me to get the support I needed. I instantly had a support group of others who were at the same point in their recovery journey as I was. Many of us had been in previous classes, me included, but we all were showing up and committing to making this the time that sobriety stuck. This month several of us will celebrate five years sober. Bandi, my sober twin is also celebrating her five years today, we have been on this journey together since January 1, 2016.

I knew that I was going to need to be active in my recovery if this was going to be different, and I heard the voice of Dee and many others in my head asking “What’s your plan?” So I decided to think about what had helped me in the past during stretches of sobriety, and also what the pitfalls were that led me back to drinking. After some reflecting I came up with a plan that worked for me:
  • Daily check in on SR, I read and posted here daily, and still do. Early on the support I received from the amazing members of this community helped to keep me sober, gradually I was just checking in to see how everyone else was doing. Now I check in on the 24 hour thread daily, because it is a community that I love. I have shared the good, the bad and the ugly on this forum over the past five years, and I’m so grateful for everyone here. The best thing now is that I am able to be that support for others who are just starting out on their journey.
  • Remaining in the present. This is something I still need to remind myself of even today, but I have learned mindfulness strategies to help me do so. I feel this is an important one for anyone in recovery. We cannot change what we’ve done in the past, only learn from it. As for the future, spending time worrying about the “what ifs” and “mights,” takes away any sense of calm or enjoyment in the present moment.
  • Exercise and nature. This is kind of a combo for me. I get outdoors everyday and go for a walk, I’ve also integrated short walking breaks into work to help me clear my head and refocus for the remainder of the day. There is something about the combination of being outdoors and moving that instantly calms me and allows me to let go of whatever may have happened that day.
  • Gratitude. No matter how difficult a situation, there is always something to be grateful for. This has helped me when dealing with financial stresses, the death of my mom, stressful days at work, anything life happens to throw at me.
I am so excited to continue on this journey and so grateful to each and every member of this forum for the support I have received along the way. If you are just starting out stick with it, use SR as a support, join the January of 2021 class. I promise you that you can do this, and I promise you that life is so much better sober.

Wishing everyone health, love and laughter for 2021.
❤️ Delilah
Old 01-01-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! An inspiring story!
Old 01-01-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 years! I like your plan and I'll incorporate it into mine I'm building.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amazing story and advice. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your 5 year milestone!!!
Old 01-01-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Such an inspiration. Congratulations Delilah ❤️❤️❤️
Old 01-01-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your five years.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((Delilah))) Congrats and big hugs on reaching five years sober! Lots of love from me.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thank you for sharing this and providing your plan. You’re a superstar!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RAL

Many congrats on 5 years sober and thanks for all you do here on SR supporting everyone
Old 01-01-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am honoured to be sharing this journey with you darling D.....you are my friend and my inspiration, and I adore you. ❤️

Congrats on 5 years beautiful one!!!!!

# 11 (permalink)  

Congrats!! What an inspiring post!
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thanks from me too Delilah. I'd miss not seeing you here with your just great avatar. So kind to people.

Five years sobriety is a great thing to own, and to share. Thanks, Delilah.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm really happy for you Delilah.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 01-01-2021, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your five years Delilah!!! Thank you for all of your posts. You have a lovely way with words! Xx
Old 01-01-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am honoured to be sharing this journey with you darling D.....you are my friend and my inspiration, and I adore you. ❤️

Congrats on 5 years beautiful one!!!!!

Thank you for your support and friendship, I think you are amazing Suze!!
Old 01-01-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnyCoastK View Post
Congratulations on your five years Delilah!!! Thank you for all of your posts. You have a lovely way with words! Xx
Thank you!!
Old 01-01-2021, 02:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Congratulations and thanks from me too Delilah. I'd miss not seeing you here with your just great avatar. So kind to people.

Five years sobriety is a great thing to own, and to share. Thanks, Delilah.
Thanks Steely, I am so glad you are here too!! We have a pretty amazing community.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations Delilah! You are a constant, kind and thoughtful presence on SR.

We are not quite sober twins but on a similar timeline. Five years feels good but it's because those years are made up of each day of being sober and clear-headed, living without regret.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JJ9

Such an inspiration! I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years!