Notices

Christmas Wishes

Old 12-24-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas Wishes

Christmas can really be a challenge for those of us who have had, continue to have, or are deeply caught in the struggles of addiction, alcoholism, related mental health variables.

As it's Christmas Eve Day... or even by now, Christmas for some of you who may read this - I wanted to offer my Christmas wishes for sobriety, presence, love, cherishing your life, togetherness, self love, strength..... SOBRIETY.

It was just after Christmas (in fact, that bender had already begun by now and was in full swing) that I ended my last great bender and finally admitted to myself truly and fully that I wanted sobriety more than I wanted alcohol..... and it has made such a profound difference in my life that I believe it has saved my life. It certainly has brought great richness, depth, reward and goodness to my life and those of the people I love.

Doesn't mean it's been a bed of roses, or easy, or even always awesome. But that "Christmas Gift" to myself nearly seven years ago was something that has brightened the experience and allowed me to truly cherish my life, be there for others, and leave behind so much suffering that I'd been bringing myself for years.

I wish you ALL the same Christmas Gift. Whether you're 1 year sober, 20 years sober, or yearning to be sober......

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank You, and the same to you.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you my friend. Such a nice post. Peace be with you.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you FreeOwl.

All that you say is true for myself as well, and though not as far along the track as yourself still feel the great rewards of sobriety and want always to be moving forward in this journey of discovery. Peace.

I hope you have a great Christmas FreeOwl, and thanks for being there.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for this uplifting message! I was just thinking back over my years in and out of sobriety (mostly out), but what a gift it is to be part of a community, irl or online, and resonate with people. I've begun to realize more and more how lonely I am, what a gift the friends I do have are, and motivated to be a better friend back, make new ones, and make the most out of the activities I have available to me!
Old 12-24-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first dry Christmas, five years ago. I was but a sober baby, only a couple weeks into the journey. Cranberry juice mixed with soda water was my friend. A couple of awkward conversations with people but not too many and not too awkward. People don't really care if you drink or not. I stayed close to my family - my sister and brother-in-law who looked after me that Christmas. Family, community, that's the meaning of Christmas, just like this place here.

Happy Christmas from Melbourne, Free Owl. Happy Christmas everybody!
Old 12-24-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you for that message FreeOwl. Merry Christmas to you too

D
Old 12-24-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Christmas Wishes to you also FreeOwl and everyone!

My gift to myself also is Sobriety and enjoying it, not fighting it anymore. Feeling very blessed this Christmas Eve.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas ❤️
Old 12-24-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
My first dry Christmas, five years ago. I was but a sober baby, only a couple weeks into the journey. Cranberry juice mixed with soda water was my friend. A couple of awkward conversations with people but not too many and not too awkward. People don't really care if you drink or not. I stayed close to my family - my sister and brother-in-law who looked after me that Christmas. Family, community, that's the meaning of Christmas, just like this place here.

Happy Christmas from Melbourne, Free Owl. Happy Christmas everybody!
Merry Christmas to you as well MissP. I love Melbourne, by the way. Been a long while, but I spent a fair bit of time there and Sydney when I lived in the EnZed. Claypots in St. Kilda will forever be my favorite fish restaurant of all time.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thank you for that message FreeOwl. Merry Christmas to you too

D
Thanks, D... and thank you for all of the Christmases you've helped me stay sober.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you so much - love reading your posts here.
Enjoy the holiday season in whatever way possible.