Notices

GAD Episode

Old 12-23-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

GAD Episode

I just got out of a 5 hr episode of anxiety. I felt it leave about 5 minutes ago. I was so caught up in the episode that I was unable to use any tools to get myself out quicker. To be honest I am not sure what would work when I get to that place?
(western meds are not an option)

So, I cleaned the bathroom. Paced. Checked my phone a million times. Finally took something natural to calm myself down.

Unclear communication or no communication at all sends me into a panic. A place of complete worry and its debilitating. I don't know many people who deal with this.

What did I think of in that episode? Alcohol.

Its not even noon and alcohol crossed my mind. I was like "Mizz, that is not a healthy response to this and drinking is not and never will be an option. Figure out a new way to deal"

I am alone right now in quarantine and just needed to reach out/ type out/ get through. Quarantine has had its own set of challenges and lack of control/ dependence on others etc.

I'm tired now. Thankful that the episode has passed and didnt last an entire day/ days like last time.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

MizzP- I'm so sorry you went thru this today. People are here for you. I don't have any words to help other than to say that I care and I hope you are ok.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mizz, in time these episodes will become less and less as you learn new tools.

It just takes time away from alcohol and searching for solutions.

Box Breathing always helps - this is a great visual.

I'm glad you made it through it.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slayingthedrago View Post
MizzP- I'm so sorry you went thru this today. People are here for you. I don't have any words to help other than to say that I care and I hope you are ok.
Thank You. I normally wouldnt post like this but I am a bit vulnerable. im coming to the end of a 23 day quarantine. I think its getting the best of me. Balancing my brain takes some real focus and its like a tightrope walker right now.
Safety net is here at the moment.

I couldnt relapse even if I wanted to. Im not allowed in any public places....Haha!
Old 12-23-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey mizz
Glad it has passed for you now and you got through. Anxiety can be crippling at times I know how you feel. Have you tried meditation? When I get sudden anxiety attacks I like to use an app called stop, breath & think. They have nice short guided meditations that are good get your breathing back.
I know it can be tough sometimes to get into it but it does help.
I've recently started doing some research on Crystal healing meditation also, I find the process therapeutic.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can vouch for box breathing, as well as housecleaning, exercise, and a favourite TV comedy or record album.

Sorry it was a prolonged attack MizzP.

D
Old 12-23-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you experienced this, Mizz. I've had various levels of generalized anxiety in my whole life that (weirdly, or unlike for many others) improved a lot during this year, especially during the past month being sober. But I had official diagnoses of GAD and always relate to these kinds of feelings and episodes. Anxiety doesn't tend to be a major trigger for alcohol cravings for me now, but I definitely drank to escape it at times in the past. The worst thing I can do to "relieve" my anxiety is avoidance... of course I've done way too much of that in my life. If the anxiety is conditional (at least in part), resolving or working on changing the issues(s) are much more productive and relieving than avoiding them, for me at least.

For me the, the most helpful "treatment" for it is a balanced lifestyle with a decent sleep schedule, nutrition, exercise, and learning how to relax without escaping and harmful, excessive and addictive pharmacological intervention. It's not too easy to maintain in a steady way, but when I do, it always helps. I also find it very useful to be aware that I am likely just prone to anxiety biologically (many of my family members had different forms of it, too) and it's better to accept that I may never be completely free of it - much like accepting the fact that I cannot drink alcohol. I used to have numerous panic attacks when I was younger, before I learned a lot about anxiety and realized that's what I have, and even the mere awareness made a difference - haven't had a panic attack for ~10 years now in spite of my heavy drinking, which I only stopped a month ago. There are days though when it's just higher, and it also often comes with increased irritability and sensitivity for me, without any apparent reason (e.g. had a day like that yesterday) - I try to tell myself "oh well, my brain may just be acting up a bit" and try to do something engaging, pleasant and productive. Talking with positive, friendly people also helps.

Hope you feel better soon, some rest or a nap can also help sometimes
Old 12-23-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh, MizzP, I'm glad you reached out. I can sure relate to what you describe. For me, a trigger is often lack of control in some part of my life. Being a control freak was a big reason for me beginning to drink, simply because it was so exhausting. And, since recovery, I can usually breathe, get outside or watch a comedy and get through it. I don't take any medication for anxiety either. You are not alone, and good job on getting through this.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm kinda feeling anxious now myself, Mizz. Thanks for sharing this and everyone's advice.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for such kind and thoughtful responses. I appreciate your empathy. Truly.

Lack of control can create a lot of anxiety for me, Anna. Yes. This is part of the problem.

I also can see that I am dealing with others who may not have the healthiest of behaviors and I have to take a step back and realize what is mine and what is theirs. I cannot control a response or lack of response. If I am met with silence then I go into a ******* hole that is deep, and my brain plays out every scenario it can. For me, it is so much easier to communicate instead of allowing another person to question what I am or am not thinking.

What can I control? Me. To a certain extent. Only my side of the street. So, tools. Tools. tools. tools.
I also get a lot of relief from talking about it and getting it out of my body and head.

bimini- That Box breathing is an awesome thing. Thank You.

Aellyce- Yes, I am naturally prone to being anxious. I run a bit higher in that regard. So, I very much need to keep this in mind. Thank You. I really appreciate your thoughtful response.

Brian- hang in there. Go to the Box Breathing. Its a very cool tool. Bimini posted it.

Dee, LPG and Slayin- All very good suggestions.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

(((hugs))) Maybe look up 4-7-8 Breathing Technique and practice it when you aren't in an episode. Works for me.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Box Breathing? Never heard of that before. I'm going there, right now. Thanks Bimini.

Sounds like you are starting to pick up MizzP. Good to hear.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always used Dr Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique when I had high anxiety.

It works almost immediately. He is a holistic doctor who embraces Eastern meditative practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHsE4z1gba0
Old 12-23-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

GAD and me

Originally Posted by Mizz
Unclear communication or no communication at all sends me into a panic. A place of complete worry and its debilitating. I don't know many people who deal with this.
My symptoms were tremendous sweating, thought rumination, intrusive thoughts, Just wanting to escape with no where to go. Panic Symptom; hard to catch my breath, accelerated heart beat, a vague feeling of fear.

Although you don't want to go the psychiatric med rout. I had no choice but to seek a Dr. help. Research a herbal aid to help calm you. I don't know much that but there are natural remedies out there.

My uncontrollable symptoms of GAD/depression were excruciating and crippling. I learned everything I could possible learn about my mental illness/addiction plus all the solutions that help (lots to learn like getting a bachelor's degree in understand me). I got group/personal therapy by an MFT /SW/ Phd. for years before I put all that information into a practice that worked. I had to do a total makeover mind/body/beliefs along with practicing recovery tools, recovery tools, recovery tools, recovery tools, recovery tools and yes more recovery tools

Try some of the tools below. Post how it goes if you are willing.
​​​​​​​ I'm rooting for you big time!

GAD Work Book (Record of worrying thoughts exercise at the end of the pdf.)
Stop Thought
Dialectical Behavior Therapy Self Help

​​​​​​​
Old 12-23-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ZENCAT- Thank you so much for all this info. I have these links opened on my computer and started reading the GAD Manual.

Advbike and Sugarbear- Thank you for the breathing technique.

Steely- I appreciate you. Thank You

In 8 days I have had two major episodes. Both revolving around the same subject matter. So, I now have a little more knowledge about myself. A certain thing in my life STRESSES ME THE **** OUT and I am thinking that I need to change it.
Not now. Not during this pandemic. Change must come if I plan to live past 41 without having a stroke or heart attack

Old 12-23-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Started one
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7562200 (All are welcome GAD worksheet.)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
I always used Dr Weil's 4-7-8 breathing technique when I had high anxiety.

It works almost immediately. He is a holistic doctor who embraces Eastern meditative practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHsE4z1gba0
I had to remove the original link - the site has a shop attached which means it's commercial by our rules.
I hope the YouTube from the same guy covers the same stuff.

If not maybe peeps can PM you for the other link?

D
Old 12-23-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sure, no problem Dee. Thank you.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm sorry about your struggle with anxiety, Mizz. You're not alone.

You did a courageous thing in describing your experience and reaching out for help.

Anxiety and depression are in season, so it's important to check ourselves out. Anxiety is not just being very nervous, and depression is not just being very sad. People's feelings of loneliness tend to be more intense this time of year and certainly in the conditions under which we've been living for the past ten months. With so much going on it can become difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep. At some point we experience fatigue in response to the anxiety, sometimes without knowing it.

I'm very impressed by people who find a way to communicate their suffering and reach for what they need. It can be a tremendous struggle to get there.

There are things we can do without medication. Reading through this thread, it seems as though controlled breathing has a successful history. It works for me.

I also came across this about a year ago:

https://www.sciencealert.com/we-are-...o-to-calm-down

I just saw this in the past couple of days:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/anxiety-disorder-5089639

Old 12-24-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

good morning MizzP- hope you are feeling better today. Quarantine is just about over ?