Notices

Recovered vs Recovery

Old 12-16-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovered vs Recovery

At what point do we say we are recovered from an addiction?

If a person does not use their drug of choice and goes on to live a life free from the drug of choice have they not recovered from using that drug of choice?

That is not to say that a person can go back to using. We surely know where that leads.

I am thinking of language used that is empowering and gives positivity. There seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel with the words "in recovery"

Example: If I broke my arm, I would be in a recovery stage until the arm was healed. Eventually my arm would be recovered from the break. I would not always say that my arm is in recovery.

What say you, SR?
Old 12-16-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I say the same thing I always say - I am living, I am growing, I am breathing, I am recovering...

I like the present tense. Others do not.

As long ans none of us drink, it's ok

D
Old 12-16-2020, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mizz P View Post
I am thinking of language used that is empowering and gives positivity.
I agree. Saying, "I am sober" is empowering and positive.

To insure I stay that way, I stay "in recovery."
Old 12-16-2020, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

This is one of the many reasons I don't like the whole "recovery" thing and never use that term. I like "sobriety", like to keep it old school and say/think that I was a degenerate drunk for several years and now I'm sober and older. Maybe even a little wiser!
Old 12-16-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it depends on the person and if they are also attached to a program in some cases as to how they label it.

I say I have recovered. I don’t consider my self in recovery as the damage has mostly healed. I have next to no chance of going back. I know many will say that is imposible but to be honest i still get scared of what happened and the whole detox and have gained so much and generally happy which I wasn’t before. . At some point have to move on. I also don’t describe my self as an alcoholic anymore. If people ask the words I use are diferent at times. Sometimes just tell them drinking was a problem, alcoholic, never addict. I’m so much more than any single thing. Plenty of people are ill and not associated with their illness so I don’t see why I should.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Saying I'm "recovered" would imply that I'm "cured," meaning I could go back to drinking with impunity the way I did before I became an alcoholic. That's not going to happen. Saying I'm "in recovery" acknowledges that I didn't come out of active alcoholism with quite the same brain I had going in. I can never go back, no matter how far I travel from my last drink. As long as I'm "in recovery," I'm still moving forward.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
This is one of the many reasons I don't like the whole "recovery" thing and never use that term. I like "sobriety", like to keep it old school and say/think that I was a degenerate drunk for several years and now I'm sober and older. Maybe even a little wiser!

This!
Old 12-16-2020, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buttery View Post
I think it depends on the person and if they are also attached to a program in some cases as to how they label it.

I say I have recovered. I don’t consider my self in recovery as the damage has mostly healed. I have next to no chance of going back. I know many will say that is imposible but to be honest i still get scared of what happened and the whole detox and have gained so much and generally happy which I wasn’t before. . At some point have to move on. I also don’t describe my self as an alcoholic anymore. If people ask the words I use are diferent at times. Sometimes just tell them drinking was a problem, alcoholic, never addict. I’m so much more than any single thing. Plenty of people are ill and not associated with their illness so I don’t see why I should.
I can identify with a lot of what you have said. There is a heaviness I feel when I use the word "alcoholic" and use the term "in recovery." Those words are not positives for my mental head space.

I am so proud of being sober again. Just getting off that hell ride was like climbing Mt. Everest. I don't want to weigh it down with words that create a "heaviness" in my heart and mind. What we tell ourselves does make a huge difference in how we see, treat and think of ourselves.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I think of myself as recovered. I still work on things and watch myself but other people have to do that too. I seldom even think of myself as an alcoholic anymore. That was the deal, if I don't drink I don't have to be an alcoholic.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
That was the deal, if I don't drink I don't have to be an alcoholic.
I was thinking about this. Makes sense to be.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm fine with saying I am an alcoholic in recovery. Sometimes I say, I consider myself an alcoholic in recovery. I like to own the words. They actually make me proud. Sometimes when I say it, I feel a space open up and occasionally in that space people ask questions. I happily answer them. I want more people to understand that alcoholism and addiction are more common that many think, that the stereotype of the shambling, homeless drunk doesn't always apply, and I would like to remove the stigma from it.

It also reminds me that I can never drink again.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A.A. ... to paraphrase ... Recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body ....
Old 12-16-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Recovered in the AA sense. Always an alcoholic but recovered; alcohol or any need to wish to alter my mind and thus the way I feel by using alcohol is no more. Providing I stay spiritually well I am recovered. Grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 12-16-2020, 11:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hate labels. I don’t want this to define who I am. I don’t want my “state” to indicate the predominant ‘feature’ about me.

When I drink I am unhealthy and unhappy. I just stopped doing it to be healthier and happier. That’s enough looking in my rear view mirror whilst drive forwards for me.

That said, I am newly sober (again) and maybe one day I’ll need to use different words and prescribe myself a label too, if this approach ends up being not honest enough for me to maintain a healthy life?

Old 12-17-2020, 03:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I say whatever makes you feel good and keeps you on the right path and sober is fine.
Call it what you want.

I say neither. I am not in recovery and I have not recovered.
I am sober and alcohol free and that is what matters to me.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Samantha

I think it depends on the person if they are comfortable saying they are recovered or not.
I noticed at my first AA meeting a long time ago that some day they are recovered and some don't. Some say grateful some don't.
each person is different.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Loving all the responses and opinions on this subject.
I have yet to form an opinion on the matter. Still in research mode.

I wonder if there is a timeframe? I guess it would be up to the individual.

I don't think I am recovered YET. I can see I am building pathways and creating structure to a recovered life. I have a ways to go before I see the alcoholism as a chapter that has ended.

I think this involves trust of myself and knowing that I have learned my lesson in regards to alcohol and the negative role it played in my life.

But....I am still in gathering and thinking mode.....
Old 12-17-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I feel recovered, but agreement among experts and by personal observations, I believe taking a drink will send me back to where I was. This is where the semantics takes over. Is this underlying condition I have called alcoholism? If so, I'm still an alcoholic, and technically not recovered. Maybe a better medical description would be that I am in remission.

But that pedantic explanation is not as important as what you know you have to do to stay sober whatever word you use to describe your situation. But you are not the first person to ask this question. I have asked it too. Many of the old timers in AA and some other places are quite adamant that once you are an alcoholic, you will be for the rest of your life, and as much fun as it is to argue with them about it, they are probably correct.

But if the label is a concern, here's something else to consider. How do you know you're an alcoholic? Could you prove to someone else that you are? Let's face it. You probably can't prove to them that you aren't either, and you have no doubt tried to prove that you weren't an alcoholic many times during your suffering. So once again, the label is of less importance than doing what you know you need to do to if you don't want to be known as a drunken lush, alcoholic, bum, or just someone who has no self control and needs to grow up.

Don't get too hung up on the words.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I say the same thing I always say - I am living, I am growing, I am breathing, I am recovering...

I like the present tense. Others do not.
This is me, too. Recovery for me, is a lifestyle, where I try to do my best in everything each day.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks, Driguy!
I think I will still continue thinking about this and having a thought provoking conversation which is the intention here.
Caught up, not caught up, considering what is important, what is not important..... You know ...Just thinking.