Notices

Be careful my friends. Take this advice please.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Be careful my friends. Take this advice please.

Last night as I got to day 7 alcohol free, i was so very pleased with myself. I started to feel the jitters and was white knuckling. I went outside hoping by watering my sunflowers I would be ok , the cravings would help me as it it usually no more than 7 minutes . You know, i did the urge surfing thing etc, read a LOT of SR.
I decided I would go to bed . I started shaking, hands and legs feeling like jelly .
My doc gave me valium so I thought I would do what I have done previously and do my own home detox as I did NOT want to drink.

I got my valium and told my husband I was taking double the dose just so I could sleep and not have busy brain , thinking about all the wrongs in my life .
2 hours later I had the ambulance here because Shaun couldn't wake me up.
I was SHOCKED.

This by the way, was definitely NOT a suicide attempt, I wanted respite from the skeletons that have come out of the closet in the past weeks.

Anyhow as the the lovely Dassa nurse came in before left, she explained to me that you can NOT replace alcohol with valium. It's a dangerous cycle that I didn't know about .

In fact trying to wean yourself off of valium is disgusting, takes 10 times longer and you will be really , really sick..

Please be very careful about your choices you make. I thought by not drinking and having vallium for my shakes is the best thing. Its NOT . We ALL need a plan. I would never had done this had I known. I don't want to die and I don't want any of you, my friends to die also. But we ALL need to know what is safe , because inadvertently we could accidentally be killing ourselves.

please talk to your health professionals to fully understand the risks.

They were going to send me straight from hospital to Dassa. But they were full. But for me. it's soon and I am welcoming it with open arms for mental health.

Just remember also, Christmas is only 1 Day. Then it's done. We all need to release ourselves from guilt and start to live. We cant change our past , but we CAN change our futures.

I hope this helps even just one person.

much love

Wendy xxx
Old 12-11-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

(((Snoozy))) Thank you for this life saving warning and I'm so glad you are OK.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that happened to you Wendy.

I know it took me a little while to stop thinking like an addict and wanting respite in a pill or a drink.

It also took me a while to stop thinking twice the amount of whatever was two times as good...

I assume DASSA is the Health Dept rehab there - I hope they get you a bed stat and that you go so that you can do everything you can to put active addiction behind you.

Might just be the best Chrissy present to yourself yet

take care - we don;t want to lose you

D
Old 12-11-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Wendy
Some gps don't realise how dangerous valium can be.
The withdrawal (tapering) can be very bad for some people.
This depends on the dose and or/ duration.
I was addicted to the stuff for decades and am very pleased to be one demon less.
Trust you manage to get back on track soon
---Paul.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let that be a lesson to us, but let that be a lesson to YOU.

Why do I say that? Because addiction is insanity. About two years ago I was about 4 months sober. But not sober, just dry. I had some Tramadol (a narcotic) for back pain in the house. I took two because I wanted to feel something different than how I was feeling, but not drink and “ruin my sobriety.” Two turned into 4, then into 8, 10 and I lost count just under 20 pills. Suddenly I couldn’t breathe and was having serious convulsions. I was taken to the ER via ambulance and my last words before I lost consciousness were, “tell them I love them.” (My kids). Scary right? So I would never take Tramadol again right? Wrong. Within a few months I found (or was prescribed - can’t remember) more Tramadol. There were like 10 in the bottle. I took two, then 4. And then snapped to my senses and poured the rest out. Which was a miracle. This just months after taking 20 Xanax while blacked out and waking up in vomit. Sorry to be graphic, but this is deadly stuff we’re talking about here.

My point? Addicts of my kind are insane and will do anything to not have to feel the natural feelings of life - anxiety, fear, sadness, boredom, loneliness, anger, etc. So please, if you haven’t poured out that Valium, please consider doing so (after consulting a doc), or give the pills to your husband to dispense if needed. Also strive to be honest with doctors in the future telling them you’re an addict.

So happy you are ok and a tip off the cap to you for sharing your story. But Snoozy needs to remember to take care of Snoozy. Take care ❤️.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! Very scary, Snoozy! I'm glad you're okay!
Old 12-12-2020, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Wendy....scary! Glad you are ok!
Old 12-12-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Wendy....scary! Glad you are ok!
Old 12-12-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you're OK Snoozy.

I'm not sure if it entirely relates to your Valium situation but physical activity and physical tiredness has always helped reduce my mind from motoring at bedtime. I know that is stating the obvious but it really did help me.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So glad you are ok!
Old 12-12-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Snoozy, I'm so glad that you are okay. Our addict minds are something to behold.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How much Valium did you take Wendy? Must have been hefty.

I haven't taken Valium for 21 months. Horrendous BRUTAL withdrawal. No kid.

Avoid Valium it's a sucker punch.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Snoozy - thank you for your post. It really helped me this morning.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah I tried to use Valium to get off alcohol. Beer is child’s play compared to that stuff. Withdrawal form just 10 mg a day or so was bad.

The only real answer is just don’t take or drink anything. I wanted a beer the other night and just distracted myself. Because what’s one beer going to do anyway? Not much except make you want 2 beers, then 4 then 8.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm with you on all counts Khorney. There is really no comparison in terms of withdrawal. Kicks the cns to the kerb, then comes back for another shot.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Why do I say that? Because addiction is insanity. About two years ago I was about 4 months sober. But not sober, just dry. I had some Tramadol (a narcotic) for back pain in the house. I took two because I wanted to feel something different than how I was feeling, but not drink and “ruin my sobriety.” Two turned into 4, then into 8, 10 and I lost count just under 20 pills. Suddenly I couldn’t breathe and was having serious convulsions. I was taken to the ER via ambulance and my last words before I lost consciousness were, “tell them I love them.” (My kids). Scary right? So I would never take Tramadol again right? Wrong. Within a few months I found (or was prescribed - can’t remember) more Tramadol. There were like 10 in the bottle. I took two, then 4. And then snapped to my senses and poured the rest out. Which was a miracle..
Yeah, Tramadol is nasty. A few years ago when I was sober and living in the Philippines I injured my knee pretty bad mountain biking, and had to be on crutches. There are no strong painkillers available there anyway, but the doc prescribed a "mild" painkiller - a blend of Tramadol and Paracetamol (Tylenol). It's not too much stronger than plain Tylenol. But knowing my addictive brain, I only took HALF the recommended dose, just to be safe. Well within a couple weeks, I cut that dose in HALF - now I was only taking ONE of the little pills a day, just before bed.

Then I noticed little flashes of light in my head once in a while. It had been about a month, so I tried to just quit it. More little zaps.. and I found I actually wanted one every night. Holy cow! Warning bells went off. I took the last few and cut them in half, and fortunately, my girlfriend said that's enough and wouldn't let me refill the prescription. And that was that.

But seriously, I was already getting addicted to a TINY amount of that stuff. Scary. How can something like that just be prescribed to people? I can fully understand the opiate problem now. That experience is one reason I get concerned when people mention taking any meds, if it can be avoided. Sometimes it can't of course, but we have to be vigilant

Glad you're still with us and doing better Snoozy!
Old 12-13-2020, 04:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going Snoozy?
D
Old 12-17-2020, 03:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
VinBx

Thank you for sharing this story. I'm glad to hear you are doing well and looking for active recovery. Keep at it and stay focused. You will be great. Prayers to you for a healthy recovery 🙏
Old 12-17-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
waking down

Yo, Snoozy! Glad you survived! Benzos are freaking dangerous; second leading cause of prescription deaths behind only opioids. I once saw a gal fall off her stool unconscious after one valium and one cocktail. Also, benzo detox can be fatal, as can alcohol detox, unlike most other drugs. Glad your husband was around. We shall write more haiku, gf!
Old 12-17-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks for your honesty!! Sending you love and hugs!
~SB