Notices

Alcohol Promotion

Old 12-03-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Promotion

Here in Melbourne we have gone over 30 days without one case of COVID.
So what does major brewery C.U.B. do to "celebrate".
They donate 1000 kegs of beer to 400 pubs for customers to receive two pints for the price of one,
Of course this type of thing happens in many lesser ways. Subsidised meals are provided.
Beer cards offering cheaper drinks,larger wine glasses. Even the normal size often contains 1.5 drinks.

Clearly such irresponsible behaviour is very dangerous for the recovering alcoholic.
Bars aren't supermarkets and alcohol can be a lethal poison.
Those of us with drinking problems need to be well aware of these promotional ploys....
To be forewarned is to be forearmed!
Old 12-03-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved your post here to Newcomers forum - Daily Support forum is only for continuing threads, Bub.

I pick my battles and conserve my energies - I make a difference where I can

D
Old 12-03-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'v learned that social change starts with me.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No Covid in over 30 days? In the U.S. we get like 1 billion new cases every day and the numbers keep going up. If I wasn't afraid of all of the horrible deadly animals that lived there I'd consider moving to Australia.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just ignore what doesn't suit me and go about my business. It doesn't bother me, other than it being careless and dangerous for the bar patrons' health.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
No Covid in over 30 days? In the U.S. we get like 1 billion new cases every day and the numbers keep going up. If I wasn't afraid of all of the horrible deadly animals that lived there I'd consider moving to Australia.
Well we did endure several months of extreme lock down to get this result.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I just ignore what doesn't suit me and go about my business. It doesn't bother me, other than it being careless and dangerous for the bar patrons' health.
While some of us can protect ourselves, the fact that breweries and the wine industry explot the vulnerable is quite reprehensible IMAO--
Old 12-04-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

**Any**industry explot the vulnerable...This could be "said" about almost anything.
I'll try to pick my battles on what I "think" can control and move on down the road.

YMMV
Old 12-04-2020, 02:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As in most industries they rely on the 80-20 rule. 20 percent of users make up 80 percent of sales. If everyone drank responsibly they would be going out of business pretty fast! But we are all responsible for what we put in our own bodies so don't really blame them and feel people pretty much know what they are getting into. I have a real bone to pick with the pharmaceutical Industry and State run gambling industry though but that is a different story. If only commercials were cheaper and the second half of the alcohol commercial could show the day after!
Old 12-04-2020, 03:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like Thrillhou's post. I am so sorry your country is suffering the ravages of this terrible virus Thrillhou. Other countries suffering too. It has been very stressful just watching it from afar. Hopefully things will begin to turn around with change of government, and vaccine. It's going to be a long haul methinks. Stay safe Thrillhou.

You would be most welcome in Australia, and don't be afraid of our animals they are not that scary. I'm afraid of those big brown bears you have in America. And as for rattlesnakes...head for the hills I say.

~ Steely ❤️

Old 12-04-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
As in most industries they rely on the 80-20 rule. 20 percent of users make up 80 percent of sales. If everyone drank responsibly they would be going out of business pretty fast! But we are all responsible for what we put in our own bodies so don't really blame them and feel people pretty much know what they are getting into. I have a real bone to pick with the pharmaceutical Industry and State run gambling industry though but that is a different story. If only commercials were cheaper and the second half of the alcohol commercial could show the day after!
That rule is called the Pareto Law.

Here’s the data:

“You think you drink a lot?”

GT
Old 12-04-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There were times when I was drinking where liquor stores were like essential businesses. While they did vaguely represent the seamier side of life to me, when I wanted a bottle, I expected them to be there.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

New Beginnings-
Sure all industries exploit (some more than others)-----this includes the parmaceutical industry.
Caveat Emptor applies but the behaviour of big corporations need to be held to account as well.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure those kinds of promotions were banned in Ireland some years ago. I can certainly remember "two pints for the price of one" type promotions at university, but that wasn't today or yesterday.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I agree with you Bubovski. It is depressing that the budgets for advertising, marketing and otherwise promoting booze is tens if not hundreds of times the amount spent on education - even without the added dangers of a pandemic. I'm not opposed to people drinking or having a good time but it's insidious the way the two are linked.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
New Beginnings-
Sure all industries exploit (some more than others)-----this includes the parmaceutical industry.
Caveat Emptor applies but the behaviour of big corporations need to be held to account as well.
Pharmaceutical pushed stuff like oxycodone and other opiates as being less dangerous than other pain medications and had DR's handing them out like candy. To me it is a big difference coming from a position of trust such as a DR verses an alcohol company.. Really don't see anything wrong with their 2-1 deal to be honest. Truth is anything done to excess can cause serious problems. Here in the United States poor diet and fast food cause all sorts of issues for example and they have deals all the time. Don't think McDonalds and KFC should be held responsible if I decide to go there everyday. For what should the Alcohol companies exactly be held accountable for as I don't feel they really even target alcoholics. Why would they bother as they know we don't really need any encouragement to pick up a drink in the first place.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If I had a weight problem, should I go after the grocery store for having cookies on sale/special? Just because I have a problem doesn't mean everyone else does.

YMMV
Old 12-05-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The societal narrative required to hold together the failures of late-stage western capitalism - right now - seem to be catalyzing a huge resurgence of the promotion of substances. I don't think that's any coincidence. Aldous Huxley was onto something, methinks.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Pharmaceutical pushed stuff like oxycodone and other opiates as being less dangerous than other pain medications and had DR's handing them out like candy. To me it is a big difference coming from a position of trust such as a DR verses an alcohol company.. Really don't see anything wrong with their 2-1 deal to be honest. Truth is anything done to excess can cause serious problems. Here in the United States poor diet and fast food cause all sorts of issues for example and they have deals all the time. Don't think McDonalds and KFC should be held responsible if I decide to go there everyday. For what should the Alcohol companies exactly be held accountable for as I don't feel they really even target alcoholics. Why would they bother as they know we don't really need any encouragement to pick up a drink in the first place.
I agree re pharmaceuticals.
I have had some really bad hip and sciatica pain,
I was put on a drug called pregabalin which made me very depressed.
I later learned that it was also a street drug of choice (in high doses)---

AS for "targetting alcoholics" I believe many extreme drinkers aren't even labelled alcoholics and can easily slip through the cracks---
Old 12-05-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you are aware of a personal problem or weakness.....NO you should not opt for cheap cookies.
Blatant capitalism, of course tries to exploit all our weaknesses: healthy or otherwise....