Notices

The science of cravings - interesting!

Old 11-27-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The science of cravings - interesting!

As a one time engineer (I am in what can loosely be described as engineering related Sales these days) I have always been interested in the nuts and bolts of how things work. As an alcoholic, understanding as well as I can as a lay person the science behind my addiction has, I reckon, helped a little in staying sober. Mostly by giving me the confidence that it is just a puzzle that can be solved like anything other puzzle.

Anyway, with that in mind I ran across this article recently. I had not heard of "The Temper" prior to reading the article and still don't really know who they are but I sense this has been written and produce by a drinker or drinkers with contributions by doctors and biologists rather than the other way around. Whoever they are this is (imo) an excellent article with relevance to both those in early recovery and those with some time under their belt but who still, from time to time, are taken with the desire to drink.

"I am not responsible for that first thought." We can be responsible for how we handle it. That seems to me to be the essence of not picking up. See what you think. I hope it might be helpful to some SR members.

Ps it is not an excessively long or technical article.

https://www.thetemper.com/science-be...ohol-cravings/
Old 11-27-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Sao

D
Old 11-28-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice article. I have found the dynamics of my alcohol dependency to be incredibly fascinating, perhaps in the same way that people find sharks fascinating. And yes, I'm sure that it helps tremendously to understand at least parts and pieces of the mechanisms by which we became dependent on alcohol and gave the AV so much power.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well worth a read. It should take about two minutes to read. Interesting extract below:

“=inheritDrinking alcohol to avoid anxiety, for instance, is maladaptive behavior. This is why chronic drinkers are more susceptible to drinking again during the recovery process. When the brain has been significantly altered (and the reward threshold has been significantly reduced), it takes more than the removal of alcohol to overcome the urge to drink again — it takes time, a lot of effort, and often, peer support and professional help.”
Old 11-28-2020, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Nice article. I have found the dynamics of my alcohol dependency to be incredibly fascinating, perhaps in the same way that people find sharks fascinating. And yes, I'm sure that it helps tremendously to understand at least parts and pieces of the mechanisms by which we became dependent on alcohol and gave the AV so much power.
Agreed. Understanding and demystifying booze addiction takes a little of its power away.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Well worth a read. It should take about two minutes to read. Interesting extract below:

“=inheritDrinking alcohol to avoid anxiety, for instance, is maladaptive behavior. This is why chronic drinkers are more susceptible to drinking again during the recovery process. When the brain has been significantly altered (and the reward threshold has been significantly reduced), it takes more than the removal of alcohol to overcome the urge to drink again — it takes time, a lot of effort, and often, peer support and professional help.”
This is right Hodd, I think it is why just quitting and willing myself not to drink repeatedly failed for me and I suspect for others too. People have to find that little something that enables them to sidestep some of the cravings.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whatever works works.

The article does say avoid replacing alcohol with something equally addictive, but even then I’d say chocolate, ice cream or even energy drinks are Ok in the short term for the early days.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao.

I definitely replace alcohol cravings with carbs or sugar. Sometimes I manage better than others, it does worry me as I know that I shouldn't be doing it. Emotional eating.