Notices

I really feel like drinking soon

Old 11-26-2020, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really feel like drinking soon

I need to escape the monotony of life, I am so monumentally bored.

I see so many people all around who do not have drinking problems and their lives really aren't that great, they're mental and physical health aren't exactly perfect, I'm feeling like sobriety really ain't all its cracked up to be.

I feel like life is just too flat, I miss the highs and lows, with alcohol there was always something to look forward to, now there's just endless boredom.

I keep planning a binge, it comforts me thinking about it.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

And why is it you have quit for this last period?

I just reread your previous posts.

Are you doing any videotaping this Thanksgiving?

Have you reread your previous posts?

We tend to forget past pain and anguish faster than we forget past pleasures. It makes sense; makes life more enjoyable. But the AV can use that feature of our emotional memories to spring a trap.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi pureself

A solution to boredom and monotony is not drinking.

You can prove that yourself by thinking back to your own drinking career - there’s actually nothing more boring or more monotonous than drinking yourself into a stupor.

Sounds like your inner addict might be trying to sell you on the idea that everyone’s suffering right now, everyone’s life is effed ...so why not drink?

Re-read your old posts, and other peoples. Drinking brings madness for people like us.
Chaos and destruction is not the opposite nor the antidote to boredom either.

I see a lot of people give up on sobriety because they stop drinking but make no other changes to their life.

I remember I would give up drinking but wouldn’t change anything else...I was leading a drinkers life and not drinking - that’s interminable.

Make some changes.

I know it’s hard in a pandemic but think about things you can do to alleviate boredom - what are your interests?
Connect with people even if it’s just to join a few more group threads and post more frequently here.

Give recovery a chance before you reject it pureself

D
Old 11-26-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Pureself View Post

I see so many people all around who do not have drinking problems and their lives really aren't that great, they're mental and physical health aren't exactly perfect, I'm feeling like sobriety really ain't all its cracked up to be.

I feel like life is just too flat, I miss the highs and lows, with alcohol there was always something to look forward to, now there's just endless boredom.

I hear ya Pureself, but with drinking comes misery. At least it does for me...

I'm bored to death right now, but it's better than what could happen when I'm drunk, which is nothing good.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be a mistake to believe that sobriety solves all your problems and fixes everything in your life. It doesn't. But, you have the power to change things in your life to make it more interesting. Make changes that bring you closer to having the life that you want. Drinking will just make things worse.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'll take boredom and monotony over chaos and misery any day.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The highs aren't that high, but the lows are catasrophically low. For me at least, everyone's different.

I get the missing of drama, but I don't think most people ultimately want drama, as it usually involves pain and danger. There are thrill seekers, sado masochists, but I think Im too sensitive.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Here’s another way to imagine what’s happening:

The addiction to the assault of pleasure from alcohol is like going out into the blinding sunlight. You feel it and your pupils constrict to accommodate that extreme brightness.

From there, now imagine entering one of the worlds most famous museums wherein there exist thousands of exhibits protected by ropes, glass, and protective dim lighting. These exhibits represent the vast accomplishments of mankind and womankind and it draws millions of people who want to know and appreciate what human history and accomplishment is all about.

Well, right now, you can barely see enough to avoid bumping into others and the exhibits. Our addiction tries to keep our pupils constricted from witnessing the countless subtle beauties of human existence.

But very soon, you will begin to appreciate the awesome displays of knowledge and varieties of human discovery and creation. I’ve been in there for a while and my eyes have completely adjusted. It is simply awesome what I can see, learn, share, imagine, and revel with others about. My god, being a human, lucky enough to be somewhat successful in our society on this little blue ball in the universe at this time in human progress. It’s better than winning the powerball lottery. Really!

I was missing it ALL when I was a drunkard out in the blinding sun.

PS: I tend to think boredom is a word like unicorn. It can be imagined but doesn’t really exist.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Unfortunately being sober is only the first step in a multistage process that gives you a zeal for life. Between suffering and bliss there is a wide void to cross. Filling in that 'void' is up to you. Do you seek help or rather go it alone is up to you. Either way you can heal and fill that void, to flourish. Maybe go forward to help others so as to help yourself. Without some hope in my life I would wilt and perish. Hope is free, its eternal with a everlasting life sustaining force
Old 11-26-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking was always a temporary cure for my boredom - at the expense of everything else.
Alcohol abuse is really bad for you - especially your physical and mental health. Alcohol intoxication throws your central nervous system for a loop especially if you have a history of abusing alcohol.

I would recommend literally anything else as a cure for your boredom. Or just be bored. Think about the reasons you're on this forum in the first place.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I definitely know the feeling! I pretty much always planned my binges ahead of time. It seems like one minute I was thinking about drinking at some point in the future, and the next I was drunk again in the here and now. I seek out the things that I romance in my mind.

Do you really want to open that door?

There were times I was so sick coming off a binge. A can't hold down water, head pounding, shaking, vomiting mess. Wasting days away laying in bed filled with shame and regret. Wondering how long it will be until I complete the slow suicide. Those were my lows. I don't know what yours are but I'm sure they can go lower if you execute your plans.

This time I can't let my mind even begin to go there. There's not going to be anything comforting in drinking again, especially in the long term.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sober life IS boring. There is peacefulness in the boredom. No more waking up nervous and anxiety ridden or the awful stress of doing something dumb in a drunken fog.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Tonight. I will be bored.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Boredom is a trigger.

It is a morph of the addiction.

Suffering through the boredom causes insanity.

The insanity ramps up, and up, and up...then it starts to go away.

If you relapse, the next time you try to quit it will be more difficult.

That is the way it works.

I don't look at myself as a alcoholic. I was addicted to booze. I am still addicted but only in my mind.

My grandmother (RIP) drank like a fish for most of her life. When she turned about 80 she lost her mind. She forgot she drank and smoked cigarettes.

She got really healthy and lived another 5 years. She looked great. She was no longer poisoned by the booze.

Hope this helps.

Suffering and time. The crave comes, then it is gone.

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always say it's important to build a sober life you love.
Sobriety really can be whatever you want it to be if you're prepared to work for it.

Others might see my life that way but I don't consider my life boring

D
Old 11-26-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm feeling like sobriety really ain't all its cracked up to be.
You haven't been sober long enough to make an accurate call on this.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is - and no offense to you - what some AA oldtimers call "stinking thinking".

There are certainly plenty of teetotallers who live unhealthy lifestyles in respects other than alcohol, but that's their side of the street, not yours.

Boredom is common in early recovery and yes sometimes we miss the highs and lows. But for this alcoholic, the lows included waking up in bedclothes covered in vomit because I was too messed up to make it to the bathroom, breaking into uncontrollable sweating at all times of the night and day, anxiety so bad I was afraid to leave the house for hours after waking up, and two arrests. I'm done with that life (hopefully).

Some people find that vigorous exercise in the open air can provide highs as good as if not better than alcohol without the lows - perhaps this is worth trying if you haven't already and if you are physically well.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This thread has had some great responses:
People who don't drink don't have a corner on the happiness market. I know a lot of "normies" that I wouldn't want to be. Getting sober is only the first step to a happier life, but it is a necessary first step, because when an alcoholic keeps drinking, his life always gets worse. Yes, worse that it is right now. Sobriety opens up new possibilities for happiness. It's up to each of us to find what those things are.

About boredom - getting drunk day after day is a sure fire way to bore yourself.

About the void - I believe many of us have a void inside. Sometimes we don't even realize it is there. Our first reaction is to fill that void, because we often find the void to be disturbing. Through introspection, I bumped into my void, and my reaction at first was fear. I understand the need to fill it, be it with drink, religion, drama, excitement, or whatever. Be careful what you fill it with. I found my void to be preferable to a lot of the common things normal people fill theirs with. By definition, nothing happens in a void. That sounds peaceful to me. I embraced the void. I'd rather have a quiet place I can go. If I would fill it with drama, as many people seem to do, it would not be peaceful at all. You don't need the misery of drama to feel alive. You can be alive from feeling pleasure too. I remember a guy saying one time that he often has to remind himself to be still. "Be still....." That doesn't mean you can no longer find excitement in life. You can still find those things, but be still and quiet at times too.

Before I quit drinking, I just couldn't take being drunk anymore. At the time, I wasn't looking for any more than that, but there is more, much more. It's impossible to see that when you're drinking.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
The highs aren't that high, but the lows are catasrophically low.
This is such a true statement. The lows are catastrophically low.
Living a sober life has many rewards. We get to change and grow. Find new hobbies. Actually have time for new hobbies. Drinking does not allow time for anything other than drinking. It really is no way to live a functional life. It wasn't for me and it wasn't for most, if not all, the people who are on this forum.

Things to do in life:
Take a walk
Take a run
Start a new novel
Learn how to play chess
Learn how to knit
Watch a series on Netflix (I am currently watching The Crown)
Grow your own food
Grow your own flowers
Write a book
Take up painting, pottery or stained glass
Volunteer at an animal shelter
Call a friend
Learn to dance
Learn the piano, trumpet or harmonica
Attend a recovery group meeting
Learn how to code on computers
Go back to school
Learn a new word everyday
Learn how to cook from the Julia Childs cookbook and start from recipe ONE.
Take up Yoga
Start a blog
Get organized
make jewelry
Pump some iron
Make a quilt
Meditate
Sing
Deep clean the house
Start a small business
Explore the great outdoors

Anyone want to add to things to do in sobriety that are not boring or mundane?
Old 11-26-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I promise, if you drink you will not be bored.

When I drank, there was much to do. I could go through the arrest paperwork from the night before. I could look through my texts to see the people I offended. I could try to calm down the panic. I could wrestle with the thoughts of whether I'd be better off dead or if I'd ever be able to get sober. I could live inside the anxious thoughts in my head that were relentless and arduous. Yeah, there was definitely much to do.

You can go through my posts, boredom and loneliness used to see insufferable to me. Now I'm lonely most of the time, but man does it beat the absolute agony of the day(s) after drinking. And the boredom, I've finally found a cure in a computer game, but before I would exercise, or surf SR, or call someone or go to an AA meeting. That feeling of discontent (boredom) will pass in time. You have to suffer through the early days. IT. WILL. GET. BETTER. I promise. Just stay the course. Tell yourself you'll have to suffer through some uncomfortable times in order to achieve the big prize, freedom from alcohol. It is so worth it.