Notices

Hi, I'm new.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new.

Hi everyone

So glad I came across this site, it looks a fantastic source of support which I'm most definitely needing!

I spoke to my doctor 3 weeks ago and admitted my alcohol consumption was out of control. I had been drinking 2 bottles of wine per day. I was prescribed a benzodiazapine which I took with the reduced amount of alcohol I was advised for a few days...then a friend of mine sent me a present for helping her out which was a box of 6 bottles of wine. I stopped the tablets and drank the wine over 4 days despite feeling disgusted with myself.

I started to retake them 3 days ago and reduced the amount again. I have spoken to addiction services but found the woman very judgemental and accusatory. I was completely honest about drink levels, my break from my medication because I had increased etc and was basically called a liar in a round about way so have to go for a blood test so they can tell. I'm totally fine with this but what I've now been off of is opening up.

My doctor told me after a week on the medication to call back because I'd likely need another weeks prescription. I have been so ashamed I put that off (until today although I haven't received a call back yet and it's a different doctor) but the nurse from addiction services told me NOT to go to my doctor regarding the medication and just drink 2 glasses one night, one the next, then 2 and so forth for 6 weeks.

My skin is itchy, I am struggling to sleep and have had stress-like headaches. I am doing a full time professional degree and have children so I'm worried about being told not to take medication and suffer the withdrawals while (first priority) doing whatever is needed for my children and pretending every things ok and also trying to catch up on studying. I'm certain I have damaged my liver and the thought of HAVING to drink, albeit small amounts, for 6 weeks is really getting to me.

Can anyone please advise how they safely detoxed at home? I just feel I have been given contradictory advice and also now less confident in being able to speak to 'support' services. The addictions nurse has contacted social services as well which has is obviously quite frightening as I don't want my issues on record following my children around forever. I understand it is a safe guarding issue, I suppose I just never considered that would happen as I have a fantastic relationship with my children, they are all doing very well at school, go to after school clubs and I've never passed out from drinking...I don't really feel drunk if I'm honest because of my tolerance and always make sure everything is switched off, kids are sleeping etc. I know I probably sound a bit defensive here - and I am - I just feel it was such a huge step to admit my problem and ask to be referred to addiction services but I wish I could take it back now because instead of feeling in control and positive as I did when I first sought help...I feel like garbage, my guilt is at its worst and I don't know who to trust.

Sorry for the lengthy post and I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Erica375

Welcome, RainbowUnicorn! We can't offer medical advice here, but we can offer you empathy and compassion. It's really unfortunate that you got such a negative response when you called for help.

Hopefully you will hear from the doctor today and get some sound advice. Please keep us posted!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Welcome to SR!!

I really wouldn't stress out and worry too much about your liver, but it's always good to get checked out. If I am still alive with the insane amount of vodka I drank over a 15 year time span, I'm sure you're just fine. You seem to be very "with it" in your post. How long has you been drinking 2 bottles of wine a day?

Very, veryyyyyyy few people who have withdrawals go through what are called DT's.

I have safely detoxed at home sipping on water and chicken noodle soup. Everyone is different, but you can get through this.

It just takes time. First week is going to be awful.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many alcoholics, maybe most... (I don't know), don't need to detox, but I would discuss how this should be done with a doctor before I just went ahead a tried it at home. How to do it, I have no idea. My physical withdrawal was minimal at best. Mostly, I just had the "crazies."

It's good to have you here, and keep us posted on how things go.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on taking the first step. The first time I tried to quit I did so without medical intervention and had a horrible detox. I relapsed, went to my Dr to admit to drinking, and took benzos. It wasn't easy, but I didn't suffer as many symptoms. T

An addiction services counselor that makes you feel worse should not be in that job. IMO I would follow the advice of an MD. It was a long road to the point I am now... which is no urge to drink. I am grateful everyday.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I would suggest dumping the addition services counselor and go to an AA meeting instead. At the start of the AA meeting when the chair asks if anyone is attending their first AA meeting, raise your hand!

Getting the courage to do that was a huge turning point in my recovery.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience with services. I’d be a mess from being treated that way and having social services contacted. If you can avoid working with them I would.

I can’t give medical advise obviously but I recently quit (had a slight relapse last night but I digress) after having drunk a bottle of wine plus a pint of vodka/two bottles of wine/etc for quite a long while and don’t feel like I need to taper. I don’t exactly feel great yet but certainly don’t feel like I need to consume alcohol. In any case I would stick with your doctor because they sound much more supportive and are probably better trained than anyone at addiction services as far as your health goes.

good luck to you. ❤️
Old 11-25-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wasnt able to stop drinking on my own and had
numerous consequences as a result of failing so
many times before family stepped in with help.

From there I spent 28 days in a rehab hospital to
be taught and to learn about my addiction to alcohol
and it's affects on my own mind and body as well as
others around me.

Just like going to school, I was given books and
sat in sessions to listen, learn, absorb and eventually
apply those lessons to my everyday life.

Those lessons, a recovery program, AA, helped me
and guided me to building a firm foundation a day at
a time to live my life upon moving forward.

For each and every life situation that I have encountered,
experienced, faced, I used this guideline to replace drinking
and my addiction. One that I had depended on for everything
in my life pryer to recovery.

My recovery journey began August 11, 1990, some 30 yrs
sober ago. That's a many one days added at a time, going
thru many of life challenges, changes, physical, emotional,
mentally and spiritually to get me where I am today.

A freedom from my addiction, growing, maturing, changing
into the person I am meant to be today. To achieve, health,
happiness and honesty.

Each one of us who is living a life within recovery is on
their own personal journey in life with support, care, understanding
from many just like us, so that no one ever has to go thru
anything alone or by themselves in life.

Sending strength and courage your way as you begin
learning how to remain sober each day moving forward.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

People have posted about how they detoxed. All I can say is congrats on your decision to get sober, it is a great decision for your life. AA support groups are also very helpful.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome rainbow unicorn

As you say you have responsibilities and your children are a priority....that’s reason to stop Drinking and find good medical advice. The timeline is not clear to me, but I would definitely check in with a Dr if you are still drinking and taking benzoes.

Depending on where you are in the world some GPs or MDs may give you the same advice to ‘cut down’...I was never able to do that, but you may be different to me.

Hopefully you’ll find a doctor who will go into it a little more than that. Explain your concerns just as you have here

Adding support like SR and even Aa is a good idea too. Support really helps
D

Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to meet you, Rainbow. When I found SR I was so relieved to have others to talk to about my drinking - no one else in my life understood.
You can get free and have a much better life. Welcome!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Rainbow, welcome to SR.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Rainbow Unicorns are my favorite animal!!!!!

Welcome.

Listen, you can do this..... you can be free of the nightmare cycle and not only that - but you can find for yourself a life deeper, richer, more present, more rewarding and more complete than you've ever known.

Just by embracing sobriety. For me anyway, that was key... not just a focus on not drinking, but on building the best sober life I could.

Thank you for your post today because it's helping me not only stay sober, but address my issues with cannabis that I allowed to creep back into my life. Well... no. I didn't. I CHOSE to start using that as a crutch which is a distraction from my sobriety. But, not today!

Welcome to this great community. Stick around, it's a fantastic and powerful tool in recovery.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm new. 13 days sober, but struggling with strong urges. It started last night. I want so much to say tomorrow "it's been two weeks". I'm attending AA meetings and reading everything I can get my hands on. Any suggestions to get through this day? This is my first serious attempt at sobriety.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Hey guys, welcome.
Rissa, get a cup of tea it helps me. Hugs.