Notices

Failsafe

Old 11-12-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failsafe

One thing I've learned throughout this journey to becoming sober is there is no real 'failsafe' against drinking bar one.

DO NOT PICK UP THE DRINK.

I cannot moderate.
I cannot 'handle' my liquor.
I cannot socially drink.

One memory stands out about this. I had been sober almost 6 months, I stopped by an old friends shop. He offered me a beer, I politely refused. As the night wore on, I was like, eh, one beer, what the hell... Oh what the hell is what happened. I had 8, went to the liquor store picked up another 6 pack(9% ABV) and small bottle of whiskey, and was off to the races.

That is the only failsafe I've figured out. Once it starts, I don't know where it will end. I know we all have that evil little demon that quietly whispers in your ear, 'Just one, like the old days.'
Well the old days are gone, and to ensure they stay gone, I won't pickup the drink.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some call it an allergy to alcohol.

We can get in the weeds with the medical definition of an allergy. It doesn't really matter if it fits the medical definition. One thing is certain, when people like us touch it we have a reaction that is often harmful (in new and improved ways). We can not control how much we will drink or what we will do.

Combine this allergic like reaction with an obsession to drink alcohol and its my definition of what makes me an alcoholic.

Alcoholism tries to convince you that you don't have it.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I started drinking 13 yrs ago, I broke 20 yrs of sobriety. But thank God I'll have 11 yrs next month. And somewhere along the way in my recovery, I lost the desire to drink. Just don't think of it anymore. I think practicing gratitude every day is what took away my desire to drink.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ZIP

Fully agree, Will'. It's abstinence for me...or I'd be downing a 12-pack. I simply cannot handle alcohol.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If the door to drinking is even cracked, if is guaranteed that I will over drink at some point. I did this over and over for my entire life.

The minor craves I get these days are nothing to the suffering I endured during the first year. As long as I keep the hell I went through fresh in my mind, like brushing my teeth or taking a bath, I will never ever ever drink again.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willbilly View Post
One thing I've learned throughout this journey to becoming sober is there is no real 'failsafe' against drinking bar one.

DO NOT PICK UP THE DRINK.

I cannot moderate.
I cannot 'handle' my liquor.
I cannot socially drink.

One memory stands out about this. I had been sober almost 6 months, I stopped by an old friends shop. He offered me a beer, I politely refused. As the night wore on, I was like, eh, one beer, what the hell... Oh what the hell is what happened. I had 8, went to the liquor store picked up another 6 pack(9% ABV) and small bottle of whiskey, and was off to the races.

That is the only failsafe I've figured out. Once it starts, I don't know where it will end. I know we all have that evil little demon that quietly whispers in your ear, 'Just one, like the old days.'
Well the old days are gone, and to ensure they stay gone, I won't pickup the drink.
Yes, I was exactly that type of drinker, and had many similar experience.The consumption of alcohol induced the craving for even more.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don’t drink one day at a time and you’ll be sober for the rest of your life. Having peace of mind one day at a time is what the recovery program is needed for 🙏