Notices

Need advice

Old 11-08-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chavet.
I'm sorry for your pain but staying sober is your best bet in coming out the other side of this.

D
Old 11-08-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi chavet. I'm sober less long than you but am just going through a separation after 20 years of marriage.

Its awful. There is so much to it - loss of identity, loss of future plans, nostalgia for the past. It's horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

However (and someone on here said this to me when I first found out and I hated them for it...but it proved true!) life continues. And there are positives awaiting if I can grasp them. Life doesn't end; I didn't curl up and die; I'm still sober. The sun comes up and the sun goes down, food tastes good, my children are still ace, running still gives me a buzz, finishing a task is still satisfying.

I went out with a woman the other day and it was the first time of doing that with someone other than my wife in 22 years (and other things as well 😂 ). I didn't choose to separate and I'd have rather been with my wife, but it was fun and pleasant and shows the future exists.

I feel for your situation. It sounds horrible and by staying sober you are doing well. I have learned that even weaklings like me do survive such things and can still enjoy life even when the life I thought I would have comes to a crashing halt