Notices

My boyfriend left me

Old 11-04-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My boyfriend left me

It’s a long ride below. You don’t have to sit through it. But it feels good to let it out, no matter how hurt I am now.

I've been a drinker for a few years, mostly for social reasons. Bad anxiety. It helps me talk, it helps me feel like I'm fun and entertaining. I'm an introvert and so all my friends are online. I met my boyfriend online, we had a small group chat with friends, we'd drink on voice chat, play games, watch movies. Then we started dating long distance. We'd drink together when we visited each other and have a great time. Then I moved across the country to move in! Still drank. It was ok, but would upset him when I'd get really sick from it. I tried stopping on and off, but always felt like I had it mostly under control. I was getting a bit more depressed because of being in a new state, no friends, no family, crappy job. Drinking became more frequent, and unbeknownst to me, contributing to my depression. I couldn't get myself to do anything differently to fix it. I stopped for 3 months. During this time I WANTED to stop, but it wasn't for the right reasons. I got moved to a different store for my job that I hated being at. I was having a really hard time finding things to do to pass the time. Had a hard time talking to people because I felt like I needed to be drinking to be entertaining.

We went to visit his extended family in a different state, so I had to board my dog somewhere. My dog is my life. When I'd travel, I'd leave him with a friend or family member that I trusted, but being in a new state I didn't have those. So we boarded him at a fancy place with big private rooms with webcams and a yard he spent most of the day in. Every time I checked the camera I thought he looked upset, and my anxiety over this was absolutely through the roof. I was stressed about being in a different state. We were staying at his family member's place and the room was small and I was overwhelmed and cried my eyes out. The next day, I met everybody, we had beers, everything was great, I loved his family... but I still ended up having a total of three anxiety attacks on this trip. I wanted to go home and get my dog. On our last day there I was too anxious and embarrassed to even say goodbye to or share an Uber with his parents to the airport. This whole time, he was patient. I knew I was messing up. But he was patient and kind.

We got home, got my dog, and I almost immediately started drinking heavily again to cope with my anxiety and embarrassment.

A month later - April, he's working on applying and interviewing for a new job, in another state! I'm excited because it's a new chapter, a new state, it might be better. I put together that the friend he's talking to about the job is someone he used to sleep with. Hasn't in years, but has. I'm drinking, so I go nuts for a month about it, thinking that she's trying to sleep with him again, that he wants to be with her. But he does everything he can to prove it's not true. He leaves for a night after a big fight, and I begin sobriety again June 1st.

We're doing pretty good. I'm stressed trying to find a job for 3 weeks, but it works out. Then I'm stressed about long and late hours at work, and not having weekends off with him. There's always something. But it's not him. It's my own stuff. I start drinking again at the end of August. It's not too bad because we're not fighting, but I get sick a couple times and continuously say I have to stop but never do.

3 weeks ago, I snoop on his computer, because the screen turned on, and because I just wanted to know. He has messages from April, when we were fighting, with a different girl. It's a girl he used to sleep with, that he worked with til recently. The messages are all about sleeping together, and the last time they did was one month after we started dating long distance. So he cheated. But it was a long time ago, and it never happened again. So I just accept his apology, and work to get through it, because the person I know him to be is amazing, right? Sort of... but it hurts, and then I keep drinking... and bring it up every chance I get, even when I don't want to.

Two weeks ago we had a huge fight because I got drunk again and got super upset about everything again. He left for a day, and then came back to listen to me apologize. I promised him I would never drink again. He assured me that he would never cheat, or hurt me again. Things were ok.

Three days ago we had a minor argument in the morning about the cheating, and that I was stressed out and upset and wanted to drink. I was so consumed by this, I had forgot our conversation that I promised to stop. I bought a bottle of vodka after work. I got home, we were both still mad. I had some drinks. I started a fight, the same repetitive fight. He left the next morning. I went to work. He wasn't home when I got back. He answered the phone to listen to me cry and explain myself, but said he was done, and was staying in an Airbnb, and was going to get a new apartment. I chugged the drink I poured the night before, and dumped everything else. That's all it took to quit.

I finally tried some recovery meetings on Zoom. The very first one made so much sense. But I was already done with drinking the night before.

It's been three days now, and he hasn't come home. I've sent lots of messages explaining myself, asking for an opportunity to prove myself, explaining that this relationship means more to me than anything - the same way I feel about my dog - which it absolutely does, and I've always had trouble expressing. I've always had trouble figuring out how to say hey, I want to marry you and have kids, let's do it. He's answered the phone for me twice, let me cry, explain, beg, and he says he wants to believe me but can't. Still that he got an apartment, that he's coming to get his things in a couple days.

That's all it took to quit. I lost the best man and friend I've known in my life. He loves me, and my dog, and he made it clear, and I drove him away. I can’t eat, can barely sleep, and I'm stuck on the hope he believes me comes around, but this is my fault. Alcohol made me someone I am not, and it made me lie, and lose sight of what was important. I will never give up on him, and may have to somehow figure out how to live in this empty house. But the certain thing is, I will not touch a drink again for the rest of my life.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome gldnrtrvrlvr
sorry for what brings you here, but this is a place of great support.

Honestly I think the really big thing you should be dealing with here is your drinking.

I didn't know the ins and outs of your relationship, but good relationships don't usually involve cheating, have clandestine conversations with other women, or even have people searching through the other persons phone.

It might be that this relationship had a few other problems besides you drinking, maybe?

There not a lot you can do about a broken relationship right now, but there is a lot you can do about staying sober,

You might even find that sober you wants something quite different from her relationships in future?

D

Old 11-04-2020, 02:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome gldnrtrvrlvr
sorry for what brings you here, but this is a place of great support.

Honestly I think the really big thing you should be dealing with here is your drinking.

I didn't know the ins and outs of your relationship, but good relationships don't usually involve cheating, have clandestine conversations with other women, or even have people searching through the other persons phone.

It might be that this relationship had a few other problems besides you drinking, maybe?

There not a lot you can do about a broken relationship right now, but there is a lot you can do about staying sober,

You might even find that sober you wants something quite different from her relationships in future?

D
People make mistakes, like I have. I have insecurity issues, so this exacerbated my reactions. With everything else about him in mind, this mistake, which he admitted to and took full responsibility for, was not worth my relationship ending. He is my best friend and I’ve never felt so loved. I was the problem. Always anxious, irritable. Sad, mean. I cannot forgive myself for what alcohol did to me and us, and I can’t picture myself being with someone anywhere close to as great as he was. I will never touch a drink again. And I don’t know where to go from here.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome gld, and so sorry for what brings you here.

If you read around, you will see that others, like myself, trashed relationships due to alcohol abuse. A common theme, and something I had to learn, is that the things that cause the drinking are within us. Yes, drinking magnified some ugly behavior, reactions, and trauma of mine, but take away the booze and I still had a bunch to work on to be a healthy person. And I had to be healthy to participate in a healthy relationship.

A damaged relationship may or may not be able to be repaired. Looking inward and continuing the great work you have started by putting down the bottle is the only thing you can control.

As a side note, alcohol took my existing anxiety and drove it through the roof. You may find that the very thing you were doing to help with anxiety was making it worse.
Best wishes,
-bora
Old 11-04-2020, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Totally agree with what's been said.

The first priority is to get a handle on the drinking. Only then will you be able to begin sorting out other things.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Totally agree with what's been said.

The first priority is to get a handle on the drinking. Only then will you be able to begin sorting out other things.
I agree with this. Stopping drinking should be the first priority right now. Until that happens all your problems will be more difficult than they need to be. I know this from experience.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BornSurvivor View Post
I agree with this. Stopping drinking should be the first priority right now. Until that happens all your problems will be more difficult than they need to be. I know this from experience.
I realize this. And I’ve stopped. I haven’t had the thought to drink since. My mind has done a complete swap. My only focus is fixing my relationship that was ruined due to alcohol. And I don’t know how to cope with the fact it might be gone.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I want to echo what boreas said - I separated from my wife after 20 years of marriage this year. Heartbroken. Alcohol was a major MAJOR factor.

But now I've stopped drinking I am able, calmly and soberly, to reflect on who I am, how I became this way, and (to some extent) who I would like to become. All of it has reasons, and my alcohol consumption masked these for years.

You have had a huge wake up call. It took my world to come crashing down to shock me out of my drunken stupor I called life, and now I can honestly say I am glad it happened.

You can make the right calls here and move forward. I know you can, this board is full of people who've done just that. You may well save your relationship; you might not. But only by staying sober and working on yourself have you got any chance, either way
Old 11-04-2020, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think we all have our parts in a relationship. That includes your boyfriend and his part.

Yes, not drinking and getting sober will serve you a world of good. You may be able to see things differently after sometime away from the alcohol. All you have said sounds like you are very aware of how you cope with life and that you need new healthy coping skills. One healthy thing you are doing is removing alcohol. The second thing that is healthy is the fact you reached out for support.

I would take it easy on beating yourself up over the demise of the relationship. There was a lot going on there with both of you. Just give this one day at a time and some breathing room. Focus on you and your sobriety. I know its painful. We are here for you. Keep posting. Keep reading. Do the next best thing. You are awesome for coming here and for knowing what you have to do to have a good life. You got this!

Sending hugs and light
Old 11-04-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you've stopped drinking.

Remain sober, and talk with him. These are early days.

I think your first commitment is to yourself in getting sober. Nothing good will come of it with him, or without him, if you continue to drink as you say.

Sobriety feels good.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gldnrtrvrlvr View Post
I realize this. And I’ve stopped. I haven’t had the thought to drink since. My mind has done a complete swap. My only focus is fixing my relationship that was ruined due to alcohol. And I don’t know how to cope with the fact it might be gone.
Gently...you might consider that the relationship wasn't ruined due to alcohol, nor was it ruined by one thing alone. You may not be thinking about drinking now, in the immediate aftermath of this loss, but alcohol has been your primary go-to for dealing with discomfort for a while now. Before thinking about how to get back into a relationship, it might serve you (and any future romantic partners) better to focus on figuring out how to deal with the inevitable pains and struggles with life differently. That isn't going to happen overnight, but it is worth the time it will take and the potential sacrifices you might have to make for it.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you were drinking three days ago (?), the process of quitting may be more involved than you think at this point. The SR community is wonderfully supportive and helpful. Stick around, join the class for October and/or November, share your feelings as they emerge, and read how everyone here has gone through exactly the same feelings you are having and will have.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We have all been there.

As others have said, my experience is that once you take alcohol off the table, things will change, you will change. Do better, be better.

My goal is to do the next best thing, every day. If I can do that, I am ahead and I can only do that if I am sober.

You got this, but don't make it about him or your relationship, make it about you.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by gldnrtrvrlvr View Post
My only focus is fixing my relationship that was ruined due to alcohol. And I don’t know how to cope with the fact it might be gone.
Welcome and I'm sorry for your situation. I truly think your only focus right now should be on stopping drinking and staying sober. You will not be able to fix your relationship until that happens. And, in the end, you may never be able to fix the relationship. Stay sober and I know your life will improve.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It’s been another day now, I went to work, I told four coworkers the story, I sat with my boss who is working with my schedule so I can be home when my boyfriend gets his things.

I also did a ton of talking with our mutual friends who’ve been there through everything. We all met online before we started dating, these friends are all over the country, so it’s been lots of retyping and replaying things and each time it brings up more points where I realize I was wrong and acting out of line whether it was from anxiety or moodiness or being drunk or hungover or being slightly bitter that he hated my drinking because I couldn’t handle it even when I though I could. It’s been comforting to be able to talk to them though it’s almost like I’m begging them for more, like I’m expecting them to give me all the answers and help me repair things to old times, I know that’s not what they can give me, but I can’t shake the feeling that that’s what I’m expecting.

HR at work reached out and gave me a resource, to the Employee Assistance Program. I didn’t call until 5am today when I couldn’t sleep and none of my friends were awake. I vented probably too much to the lady, and it kind of helped, but now I’m waiting for them to contact me to set up everything. I’m afraid it’ll take forever, I’m afraid I’ll use it for the wrong reasons like just begging for answers to get him back (this is exactly what I did when I was 16 with a very similar relationship problem with much less extreme circumstances).

I know this is a sober recovery forum. I reached out here because it was a mix of drinking, anxiety, and insecurity that got me to this point. But I used drinking instead of therapy or anything else to fix the problems. And the drinking though it sometimes helped calm me down, it mostly exacerbated the problems. Through all of these last few days, I have not even once considered drinking. All of this talk about what it’s done to me and him has me resenting it and I will never touch it again.

Im sorry for ranting. Your words have been comforting. I feel I need to explain myself because I’m really looking for help with getting through the relationship ending, that ended due to alcohol. I’ve been repeating things and reminding myself that he said he is getting his things and he wouldn’t lie. So I know I will have to get through that. I will have the prepare for the worst and learn to get through it because I don’t really know what’ll happen in the future, and it may not be exactly what I want, but it is something I’ll always have hope for. But I have to live.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In all honesty, I would consider leaving your personal relationship out of the professional work scene. Asking for resources from HR is a good step because HR is bound to confidentiality.

You are right. You do have to live. Focusing on yourself is the best thing that you can do for yourself right now. Getting sober and gaining some tools to maintain sobriety is really important for all of us. You will be okay. You will get through this whether or not the boyfriend comes back. There is a lot of work to do. YOU are the priority.

Keep posting. Keep reading. Keep moving forward!
Old 11-06-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"But I used drinking instead of therapy or anything else to fix the problems. And the drinking though it sometimes helped calm me down, it mostly exacerbated the problems."

This is true of probably every single person here.

First things first, take alcohol off the table. You are not going to be able to move forward with relationships, work, or conversations with online friends and coworkers, in a healthy manner, until you do this. If you were drinking just in the last few days, it's going to be weeks before you are sufficiently over the effects and begin to think in a way that is not effected by the alcohol or withdrawals on some level.

Not telling you how to interact with people, but people you come in contact with at work will soon begin saying "here comes the drunken chick that's always going off about her ex."

We all want the best for you and want to see you have success. I am blessed with some good friends, but most of them just do not have the mindset to help with staying sober.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It’s been over a week here alone now.
Five days since he got his things.
It was peaceful, I talked about steps I’m finally taking, he’s proud of me, he has seen the best me, and knows she’s amazing. We promised to stay close, we shared I love yous and long hugs.

I haven’t craved a drink since the day he left.

I can do this. I will do this. I will keep the hope to repair our relationship, but I will also and most importantly become the best me that I know I can be... if not even better.

To those saying to be careful at work... I know you’re trying to be helpful and I understand the reasoning, but I work in a place that is basically family. It’s not an office, not a corporation. There is no judgement. We care about each other. I’m out here thousands of miles away from where I lived until just recently, no family and now suddenly in the blink of an eye living alone. I needed to reach out and they listened. Same with you guys.

Thank you.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

good to read this update, gldnrtrvrlvr, and that you are hanging in there.
and great you haven't had desire to drink at all while going through these changes.
my suggestion is to prepare, much as that is possible, for that desire to come up. what will you do if/when it does?