Notices

Drinking Coworker

Old 11-01-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Coworker

I work with a coworker that is sneaking alcohol.
I can smell it on him.
And I watch him sneak away to be "secretive" about it.

I didn't say anything to anyone or even to him. But if he keeps it up, it's just a matter of time before a manager or assistant manager smells it on him.

The thing is, it reminds me of me. I used to drink at work. I hid it in my work van. Or in my car if I was driving my car to job sites (I worked construction). I would mix it with gatorade before I went to work. So I had a big ass gatorade bottle that was half vodka. I freaking cringe at the person I used to be - but I needed the booze just to get through the day because I was physically, emotionally, mentally addicted to it.
I want to help him but I also need my job, so I think it's best if I stay out of this one.

My sobriety date in my signature is still intact. To drink is to destroy my life and sabotage my plans for a happy future.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree that staying out of it is the way to go. I hope that your coworker realizes that his job could be in jeopardy and that he stops drinking.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There doesn't seem to be much you could do. I hope your coworker decides to get help.

Good to see you again.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your co worker finds the will to find help.
I'm glad to hear you are doing well in recovery ThatWasTheOld Me

D
Old 11-01-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah, that can be a tough one. not just because you might want to help him, but also because he might endanger others.
i reported one of my coworkers to a supervisor years ago, since his job was shunting trailers in a busy yard/cargo area.
the supervisor actually responded with”why are you telling me this? what do you want ME to do about it???”
i told her i didn’t know what she needed to do, all i knew was that the guy was drinking and drivindpg as we were speaking.
and then i left her office.
and yeah, that was really hard to do, and i felt conflicted and disloyal to my “union-brother”, but imagine if he’d run a trailer over someone else!
a few weeks later, after he returned to work, i told him it was me who reported him, and we chatted some about different ways to get and stay sober, and i told him about myself.
it was all good.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Wow. That's a really tough situation but I would talk to them if you can...ask if they want to go to a meeting or talk even. They clearly need help if they're drinking on the job.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Also this just makes me remember why I don't want to drink anymore. I drank one before work and it was the worst day of my entire life. I still feel guilty.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

fini,

Fortunately his job is a warehouse floor "water spider," so he just moves product from the floor where it is gathered to the truck trailer for it to be shipped. There aren't many opportunities for him to endanger anyone.

I must admit though - I hate smelling it on him. Not just because booze smells bad, but because it takes me back in a cringe sort of way.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sure you can relate to the pain and shame and suffering - I know that I would. An example of a life you no longer lead or ever have to go back to is what I would chalk that up to. Congrats on your sober time.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At times I have experienced this at my work.
I've thought a lot about what should be done. I didn't do say or do anything. I just had to stay on my side of the street and hope for the best. Its concerning for sure. Bothers me a bit. Eventually the truth will show itself.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I drank at work sometimes after the work was done. It was allowed.

But, I used to drink too much before work so I was going into work still drunk. I had/have coworkers that still do that.

Since I was that guy for years, I will not report my coworkers.

If someone else does, it is on them.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time! Being able to look at someone else who is struggling while reflecting on your own progress and cringing at your past seems like major progress in your sober journey. That's how we do it in sobriety!