Notices

Election stress!

Old 10-30-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I handle any stress I have by petting or walking my dog. (petting my cats too). Seems like after a nice walk with Billie, I feel recharged and de-stressed. No matter what the stress, interacting with Billie and my cats does the trick and relaxes me.
I've got a 13 year old puppy that's my best friend, and a 2 year old kitty. They do make life so much more manageable 💜🐶🐈
Old 10-30-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
Isnt not mentional a political statement -a political statement.
We have to use a little common sense.

As long as folks stay on the topic of stress, it’s fine.

It's a simple factual statement of feeling to say this election is stressing me out - I have an election today in my state too...I’m not stressed but who knows, others might be...

If things move towards discussion of parties, candidates ‘The Goverment’ and criticism thereof or to and fro arguments, we won’t bother removing posts, we’ll just probably have to close the thread.

We’ve been running a no politics rule for a while now. Most regulars will know where the line is.

A couple of posts have already come close to crossing the line, but now that both Anna and I have posted, we’ll see how we go

Dee
Administrator
SR

Old 10-30-2020, 04:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm not even in the US but following it closely. Such a huge event in any times but seems so much more prominent with Covid and all the world uncertainty going on right now. As others have said though, it is beyond our control and the best thing is not to drink over it.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not wanting this to be about any political side at all. I just think most in the US are stressed out, regardless of who you are rooting for. It's a tough time!
Alcoholism doesn't vote lol
Old 10-30-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I mailed in my ballot 3 weeks ago and deleted all social media accounts. I do not look at the news much anymore. I read a headline but don't dive into the article. I hear about stuff here and there but I just cannot handle this **** any longer. I am done.
Since closing myself off from everything I feel like I can live in the world peacefully again. Like my headspace is mine again. My stress levels went from insane to mildly insane.

I am glad you have a plan to go to the middle of nowhere. I think that is where my brain went a few weeks back
Keep moving forward. We are going to get through this no matter what.

(i hope i didnt break any rules here. I did stay on topic.)
Old 10-31-2020, 01:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Us politics is something from out of this world? That is a human expression...
I'm not really invested in anyone winning, but I can see why it's uniquely stressful. Trying not to go into specifics but pr emptively arguing about peaceful transition of power has never been done in US history so it rings alarm bells, whoever says it. All our systems are corrupt in some way, but they've managed to stop us killing ourselves since ww2.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Erica375

When I find myself getting worked up over the news, I watch a Disney movie. Preferably one from my children's childhood that I've seen a million times so it is familiar and soothing. Although I did watch Saving Mr. Banks last night and enjoyed it.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
I'm not really invested in anyone winning, but I can see why it's uniquely stressful. Trying not to go into specifics but pr emptively arguing about peaceful transition of power has never been done in US history so it rings alarm bells, whoever says it. All our systems are corrupt in some way, but they've managed to stop us killing ourselves since ww2.
Yeah it is a stressful time. Was just quoting Data from Star Trek. The episode in which Spock meets Data is one of my favorites. Leonard Nimoy was actually an alcoholic but was sober for decades before he passed away.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I get about as stressed as anyone. The fear I have when I think of what could happen if my candidate loses. It feels like there are powerful forces working against the American people. I feel like my people, my way of life is under attack. I'm sober but I'm an alcoholic. I have character defects and this is kind of the perfect storm.

We are a pack animal. I think its sort of human nature to belong a tribe. How would primitive man survive without a tribe? How would I survive without my modern day tribe, America? I'm not moving, America is my home. I'm kind of like the actor in step 3. If only everyone would vote for the politicians i want our country would do so well. I love this tribe and I'm stuck on this train with absolutely no control of where its going.

If ever there is a time the serenity prayer applies.

I remember an exercise my sponsor gave me early on to write out all the wonderful things I would do if I could be God. So I got to thinking, for example, a snake is hunting a rabbit. Do I let the rabbit get crushed or poisoned or make the snake starve? I really don't want to harm either animal but I'm God, I'm so smart and I know everything so this should be easy.

Maybe its better that I don't control everything. Maybe I don't have all the answers.

I voted with a sober mind for what I truly believe is the best course of action for this wonderful nation. Thats it. The rest is God's will. Things happen for a reason. Some of the presidents in history weren't the best but they were in the right place at the right time. God is in control so the only thing can do is trust in him.

Trust in him one day at a time. The election isn't for a couple days. Even after that the potential crumbling of America and Western civilization that i fear a year or so down the road has absolutely nothing to do with me staying sober today.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Newbeginnings, I did not catch the data quote. I remember that episode, but then I remember them all. I think my favorite episode is the one in which Lt. Ro goes over to the maquis to fight the cardassians. The decision of whether or not to follow your heart in a direction that will put you in direct conflict with those you care about. Sort of like making a decision regarding a political candidate or issue sometimes.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This is the clip from the episode. I enjoyed the original and have seen them all. Also seen most of next generation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvVbwwRNAQ
Old 10-31-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Recklessdrunk, that sounds like an interesting excercise.

I hear you, but America and Western Civilization is not going to crumble in the next year regardless of how the election goes. Just trying make you feel better.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Recklessdrunk, that sounds like an interesting excercise.

I hear you, but America and Western Civilization is not going to crumble in the next year regardless of how the election goes. Just trying make you feel better.
Agreed, civilization will survive in the near term. I think in the US though, most of us are concerned about what the country will look like in a decade or more.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're still drifting away from the theme of peoples personal recoveries and stresses and worry.

Plenty other of place on the web to discuss abstract things like the democracy's future, the fall of civilisation or whatever other political vents or discourse you want to engage in.

Thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 10-31-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We're still drifting away from the theme of peoples personal recoveries and stresses and worry.

Plenty other of place on the web to discuss abstract things like the democracy's future, the fall of civilisation or whatever other political vents or discourse you want to engage in.

Thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR
Party pooper! 🤪 .

Message received. Happy Halloween Dee.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too BABM

D
Old 10-31-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Us politics is something from out of this world? That is a human expression...
Not only from a earth being perspective but for the beings on Zeda-9. With a Lotherton accent it sounds more like 'humans are crazy'. I use a hyper glueon gamma transmitter powered by a hamster running a cage to communicate to many worlds beyond our mynute solar system. We humans dont know everything.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Ops I got distracted.
To the OP. distraction is good to tune out all the election stress with something that takes all your attention. Dis-connect from all the media and tune in to something is a healthy engaging distraction.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

OK, more on subject.

At inlaws for the night for a birthday. For over two decades, have brought alcohol to inlaws for purpose of zoning out. Mostly a bottle of crown in travel bag so I could go to back room and fix toddies. Have always felt out of place here and political discussion has been a part of it.

Now, I have my picks for the election, but I'm down with people having the freedom to make their own choices. Was here all of about an hour and 20 minutes before politics came up and they started in about a paid add in the paper by my candidate. You know how the commentary goes, same old crap.

I'm not going to come in someone else's house and tell them what's what. Was considering just leaving, but said before that I would pressure spray the short drive way in the morning.

Not going to resort back to making toddies to make it more tolerable. That part of my life is over.

Feel like I'm being forced into making a decision though regarding future visits and my dedication to remaining sober.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Zencat, do you have a phase one or two plasma flux capacitor coupling in that transmitter?