Notices

Election stress!

Old 11-04-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

What are others Plans In Place for weak moments? I would love to hear.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is no moment I'd feel weak enough to drink. None. Drinking is not an option anymore, it's just not.

That said, I've been petting Billie a lot today...
Old 11-04-2020, 09:58 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi guys..me again

The thread title/topic is election stress.
It seems like people need a thread like this right now, so it will stay open.

Any posts that the mod team feels veers away from the topic at hand (either partially or completely) will be sent back to the author for re-submission.

Thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 11-04-2020, 10:04 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
What are others Plans In Place for weak moments? I would love to hear.
I'm not in the US but in similar situations I generally stop watching the news, or limit myself to once or twice a day.

Sometimes I need to feel busy, so I get in and get things done around the house etc. Sometimes I'll force myself to exercise - I always feel better after that.

Other times I feel like zoning out a little so I'll play a favorite album, watch a favorite movie, check out a new series on Netflix, read a good old, or new, book, get the old guitar out.

I try to 'stay in my lane'.

I had a state election recently.
My part in the electoral process is to cast my vote.

What happens after that is up to the bean counters

Whether they're political, medical, financial, relationship related or any other kind of stress or fear... Worrying over results or what ifs, before I know the outcome is futile.

lots of links and good ideas here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...d-edition.html (Relief and Respite Covid Edition)

let me know if any links are dead...

D

Old 11-04-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

For me this speaks to the relationship between 'acceptance' without becoming passive. Not just in terms of politics but lots of things I feel passionately about.

My natural impulse is to try to 'fix' things. This has led me to do quite a lot of socially useful things and help a lot of people..but the cost to myself has been enormous. I don't want to lose that bit of me that is interested in social issues and wants to make a difference, but I realise that without 'me' thriving then it is pointless.

I suppose it comes down to balance and I, as an addict, am terrible with balance!! Balancing the selfish, good stuff that looks after me with the desire to help others and be involved in social stuff like politics and community organisations. I hope with age and practice I'll get wiser and stronger with this, and I am working on it
Old 11-05-2020, 04:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

With the anxiety settling out, I'm able to reflect a little this morning.

Definitely there is anxiety over anticipated differences between candidates and party lines in how I will be affected and the representation of values I hold dear. Anxiety over how my fellow citizens gather and process information, or not, and how issues are dealt with.

I think that the greatest stress factor of the election, speaking for myself anyway, has come from the aspect of resentments. Like sports events, politics seems to lend itself to those who only seek to run their mouth and bring anxiety upon others while having very little basis for their arguments and accusations. Plenty of people like this on both sides I'm sure.

Resentment is a very powerful motivator, speaking for myself at least, and cuts very deeply. So, it becomes an issue of wanting a particular candidate to win, if for no other reason, to satisfy a resentment held towards some loudmouth idiot who doesn't even know or care about the issues.

Letting go of the deep resentments is difficult, maybe even impossible. I am dedicated though, to not going back down the dark path. That part of my life is over. Even if it means dealing with some very uncomfortable situations.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm watching people around me with their anxiety and tension and I wonder what is wrong with me? Why am I not filled with trepidation like the rest of the group? I chalk it up to there not being enough room on the bus. Every seat has been filled.
I'm waiting for a different bus I guess?

Also, this year has given us sooooooo much to worry and stress over. I would like one week without drama. If the world could just take a moment to watch a beautiful sunset and be in that moment of beauty. To pause. I know.....It's not going to happen. Wouldn't it be nice though?

Old 11-05-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another post has been removed so this thread is on its last legs. Please use it for support for the stress and anxiety we're going through right now. Do not use it to express your views on politics.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

My anxiety is off the charts. I have never experienced so much uncertainty, unexpected crises and change in such a short period of time. Covid-19 and pandemic, husband laid off, ongoing issues with Dad in another state with Alzheimer’s, financial stress, uncertainty over distance learning in school, major work changes, and now the election. I know many people are experiencing similar in their own circumstances and feeling very stressed out.

Four years ago at this time I was still drinking. But drinking never made anything better. It made every problem worse. What I am doing to cope with this is to remember the serenity prayer and that I am not in control of this election or any outcome, and I accept that (or trying my best to and not drinking). I will be proactive and responsible in any way I can in any situation and keep a positive attitude. These are the things I have control over. In looking back over the past year, with a sober mind I can find many blessings in disguise in all of the things that seemed so tragic at first.

I have not turned on the news once today. When my husband starts watching the election coverage, I leave the room and go do something productive like some extra work that I enjoy, or exercise, or pick up one of my cats.

I’ll admit I’ve had a little too much chocolate from stress eating. But at least it’s the dark variety and no alcohol 😊
Old 11-06-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

My stress has been pretty high this week, along with insomnia. I've tried to limit myself to not checking the news too often but have only been moderately successful at that.

I have been burning off steam by scrubbing the grout between the tiles on my bathroom floor. I can pour a lot of angst into that scrubbing, and it helps a little. Then I've been reading science fiction and watching escapist movies. Also trying to remember to take walks, plug into nature, watch the birds in my backyard. And checking in with friends and family to express love and support.

This too shall pass.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:40 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I continue to pet Billie and love on her every chance I get, which is often, since she's in the room with me. She is my stress relief. I always feel calmer when I'm petting her. And it just bolsters our already-strong bond. My canine soulmate can get me thru anything.

And of course, I feel an overwhelming sense of relief that I no longer drink, or have any desire to drink.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:27 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

The big thing to keep in mind is that drinking won't help your preferred candidate at all! I certainly understand the stress and am feeling it as well but drinking would only make things worse. Do whatever you have to do! Step outside and scream at the top of your lungs, make a ****** doll, get a stress ball to squeeze, whatever it takes.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:31 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

More posts removed

Originally Posted by Anna
Please do post about your stress and what you are doing to get through this.

Please use this space to vent about your anxiety.
Folks if your post is not about election stress or what you're doing about it, chances are your post will be removed.
Its a restrictive line...but anyone who's been following this thread will know how easy it is for things to veer off topic.

Anna and I really appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 11-07-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-07-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It's definitely not only us, addicts or ex-addicts, that get very stressed out about the election. I live in New York City and people, once again, engage in all sorts of mass events to protest, celebrate, whatnot. That's also a way to try to handle anxiety in the moment, IMO. All these things show "beautifully" how impatient people are and, once again, how irrational everything is (including if NY is so concerned about COVID again, why do people do these mass gatherings and why don't the authorities interfere with this more, while they disperse and discourage many other types of mass events?). When I see these kinds of behaviors, it makes me wonder: I was apparently impatient and impulsive as an addict, making not well-considered momentary decisions to just live in the moment, not being able to wait for more established and satisfying solutions... Of course I understand how this works.

I personally haven't done anything in particular to deal with the election stress. I have years of sobriety, so thoughts of drinking to escape from something like this just no longer cross my mind as a temptation or option. But I did procrastinate and had all sorts of obsessive/compulsive thoughts. Anxiety happens just like ever before, only that it's a million times easier sober than as an alcoholic drinker, at least for me. Earlier this week, I had days when I absolutely didn't control or limit myself and kept checking the election news online every 5 minutes or so, a series of restless nights etc... but I was telling myself "and so what, it's only a few days, it'll pass, forcing myself or telling myself my feelings are wrong won't make them go away".

It's just naturally run its course by now and the anxiety/impatience kinda dissipated in my mind greatly. I guess there will be further waves in the future as things progress more in the next few months. Surely a factor is whether the way the election unfolds aligns with one's personal preference or not - I don't think we can take that element out of what's causing the anxiety or what's relieving it, whether we discuss directly or not. Maybe what can help is to cultivate an open mind regardless: who knows what the next few years will bring, really? What we can do is try to find our place in it and try to use it to our benefit, whatever that means, instead of getting hooked on intense, endless momentary judgments and resentments... or even excessive, unrealistic hope and beliefs.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

We are in a very long layover metaphorically speaking. I'm just going to sit here and people watch. Take a couple naps. Stretch it out. Rummage through my bags and reorganize. See what the latest " National Enquirer" has to say. Those magazines are terribly fascinating.
Eventually we will be going somewhere.

(this is how I am dealing with anxiety and stress)
Old 11-07-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I've been up all night waiting for a decision. Finally, it's over! Not a political post here! Just that I've been watching CNN since Tuesday....
Old 11-08-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

The key to my sanity through all this was staying off the news websites. I keep up with current events, but once I cast my ballot (I partook in early voting a couple of weeks ago), I get off social media and stay away from the news, aside from the occasional glimpse.

This applies to anything that’s out of my control, which seems to be the theme for 2020. But whether the news is good or bad, all I can do is keep my tiny corner of the universe tidy and functional. Just crossing things off my to-do list, then maybe going for a walk helps a lot.

And right now my corner of the universe has a massive stack of papers to grade, so I’m going to go do that and then enjoy the rest of my Sunday.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Bonnie floyd, sorry you have to spend your Sunday grading papers.

I agree 100% about not being locked in to the trash that is proclaimed to be news. Pretty much anything out there on tv or radio, with very few exceptions, is entertainment designed solely to get ratings and is in no way intended to provide objective information for the benefit of the listener. Not comparing Today to fox morning news, or NPR to conservative radio. They are all guilty and should be viewed as poison to our brains just as we now view alcohol as poison.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Yeah, I don't watch TV news. I took care of that whole thing by getting rid of cable TV in 2009. I can't get any regular channels without it so the only source of TV for me is either Netflix (which has its own very obvious and extreme agenda and slant...annoyingly) or if I want any specific news I have to go look for it online.

Which...

I rarely do, and when I do its just one local station who manages to stay fairly neutral. I mean, I DO live in Washington, so there's that. "Neutral" is a bit of a misnomer up here.

No facebook or instagram or twitter for me, either. I have a facebook account but the only thing I do with it is follow a couple animal-based things on there. I can't spend much time viewing them, because every person, company, and cause has its own agenda.

It's possible to live in this world without being attached to mainstream media. Not only possible, but waaaaay more peaceful between my ears.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Only a handful of friends on Facebook and a couple of local bait stores for the fishing reports. Quit all other social media except SR as part of sober package. Quit all radio talk shows. Only local morning news that covers weather, traffic, and local drama but that's just because I'm drinking coffee and the tv is supposed to be on.