Notices

Rock bottom

Old 10-25-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock bottom

Hi all been off this site for the last year was doing good until lockdown started and slowly back to drinking everyday its gotten so bad a have started having suicidal thoughts again I broke down and confessed to my girlfriend iv been secretly drinking and shes not happy but I actually felt good to be honest for once. Going to phone the doctor tomorrow and finally admit I'm an alcoholic and finally try and get sober for good. I hope my girlfriend can forgive me shes the best thing thats ever happened to me but I'd understand if she wants me out just hope I can finally beat this sick of being a let down
Old 10-25-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have hit rock bottom the only way left to go is up.

Good luck with the Dr tomorrow, make sure you are 100% honest with him.

You can do this.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the decision to stop drinking Alex. Congrats on making the decision to start talking about it. Best decision you could have made for yourself.

Keep posting.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seeing my GP was the first step I took in stopping drinking altogether. It’ll be a weight off your mind, and you’ll make your GP’s day with your honesty. Make it clear to your GP that you want to quit 100% and not just cut down. Your GP will see you mean business.

Phoning your GP (in these Covid times) will suffice. To give my experience, I went in to say I was considering taking a drug such as Antabuse or Campral. The GP then knew I’d done some research so was obviously serious. What then happened was i was referred to a counsellor (not much help to be honest) and blood tests (to make sure my liver was OK, we might as well know as any problems can be fixed early on) and I was then prescribed Campral which reduces cravings. A combination of all of these led to me stopping drinking within a few weeks. The withdrawal was quite unpleasant, but within 5 to 6 weeks, I wasn’t too bad. Nearly two years on, the cravings come and go, but life only improves without alcohol - yours will too - so I’ll steer clear of alcohol forever.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. These are tough times, and your honesty is going to really help you through this.

Big well done for giving your GP a call tomorrow. Give an exact figure of your consumption (GPs are always hearing vague guesses) and think beforehand what you plan to say, e.g. you’re giving up, you want counselling and/or medication such as Campral, etc. Good luck and well done again.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I dragged the bottom for a more than few years. Eventually I found a recovery plan of action to practice. That gave me the 'tools' and methods to put my life together better than its been before by a long shot

Keep work to your goal. Like 'really work it' and positive results are likely. You got this! I'm your cheerleader! Get it on and do it
Belessed be.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol will really take a person into the depths of depression. I do empathize with you.
Please know that there truly is a happy life waiting for you. This year has been brutal for many of us. You are not alone in that respect.
Drinking secretly just happens to be one of the things that we alcoholics do. It is something that I have heard many times from many many people. Your girlfriend doesn't have to be happy about it. That is okay. It really is. You are most likely not happy about it either.
Telling someone, anyone the truth of the matter is going to make a huge difference here. I do hope you get to the doctor soon. Tell he/ she/ they all that is happening and what steps you plan to take to recovery. Do you think you may need more help than this forum and a doctor? Rehab? AA? Therapist?
All good questions to ask oneself.

We are here. Keep posting.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m glad you reached out for help Alex.
welcome back man

Have you thought about how you’ll stay sober in lockdown this time?

D
Old 10-25-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Alex - Great to see you back.
This is where your misery can end - you sound determined to get free & stay that way.
I'm so glad you're calling your dr. - please let us know how it goes - and keep posting.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just be brutally honest with ur Dr, dont be ashamed, be proud you're finally asking for help. Perhaps write a few things down that you want to discuss with him/her as my mind often goes blank & then I'm annoyed after I've left because I forgot to ask something!!
If you show your girlfriend how much you're putting into your sobriety this time, she might stick around, good luck tomo, let us know how u get on!x
Old 10-25-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you've hit a rough patch, Alex, but as you say the truth will set you free. I hope your GF appreciates your honesty and that you can get some help from your GP.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back. I hope you'll make good use of this site to help you get sober for good this time. And if you want to strengthen your sobriety, practice gratitude every day. Start and end each day with something you're thankful for. If you do that, you'll start to find more things to be grateful for. Gratitude grows and multiplies, the more you do it.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all thanks for the friendly welcome
I phoned the doctors just waiting on him calling me back. I feel terrible today anxiety threw the roof but I haven't touched a drink. My gf is still angry but that's understandable. Can't seem to get out of bed just want to sleep all day hopefully im feeling better after talking to the doctor
Old 10-26-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alex, I have a friend of mine who also struggles with alcohol but is nearly 3 months sober now. He used to text me and I always knew when he was particularly drunk because the topic of suicide would come up. Since he's quit drinking I've not received a single text with a reference to suicide. Remove the poison and the poisonous thoughts go with it.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As said above, make some notes about what to say to the GP, Alex.

I promise you’ll feel better after speaking to your GP. Well done again.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Had a good chat with my gp and will be getting a phonecal days about treatment options. Anxiety still through the roof but I know this will calm down once I'm sober for a while. Nearly caved when I was at the shop but I put the beers down and went home so counting that as a win just hope my gf will start talking to me again but have to give her time atheist today I haven't touched a drink
Old 10-26-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done at the shop!

It might seem melodramatic, but not caving in at the shop might be one of the biggest decisions of your life. Keep doing that for just a few weeks, and it’ll start to be the norm. For the first few weeks, I automatically headed to the booze corner of my shop before realising I’d quit. In retrospect it was risky to head into the shop I guess.

Even with your GP’s support, the next couple of weeks will be tough. Just sit on your hands, keep occupied, eat chocolate, ice cream or something unhealthy to stop you wanting any alcohol. Keep your mind occupied. Nice work today.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great, you made two big steps today, phoning the doctor and putting the beer back on the shelf. Well done.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you talked to your doctor and that you're ready to make sobriety work for you. It's always a good idea to make a plan that will help you to get through each day. I also hope your girlfriend forgives you, but whatever happens, as long as you're sober you will get through it.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You'll get there. It is rough in the beginning and does take some time to get better but it is definitely worth it. Prayers to you.