Notices

Did anyone waste their twenties drinking and then get sober?

Old 10-22-2020, 02:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I drank and did drugs all through my 20's. However, it was all done socially. All my friends were also drinking socially.

When I was approaching 30, I started to drink alone. Friends were settling down and getting married so i didn't have anyone to drink with. I was drinking everyday by 30. Drank heavily until this day at 44.

You have plenty of time to do the things you thought you missed. I became an alcoholic at 29 so imagine 15 years more for me.
Hi WL,

Are you going to stop now?
I’ve seen people change their usernames, too.

GT
Old 10-22-2020, 02:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Burnt up my 20s 30s and 40s.
going on 10 months sober asobaint looking back.

Never too late until it's too late.

Do it now. You won't regret it
Old 10-22-2020, 02:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The past is the past. We can't change it. To me the relevant question is:

Do I want to waste the next 10 years?
Old 10-22-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Plenty of time. I drank my 20's, 30's, and most of my 40's away. Feeling good now after 16 months sober. Never to late and plenty of time to enjoy life. I enjoyed alot of those years also I just enjoy differently now.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

29 is beautifully young; if you stay the sober course, you have every opportunity to create the life you want.

Go for it and enjoy a wonderful life, freedomfries.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The best time to quit is yesterday! The next best time is today. We can't change the past whether one second ago or a century. At 29 you're still young! I wish I'd have been smart enough to quit when I was your age; I didn't get off the ride til my early 40's. While it wasn't all a waste it really bums me out to think where I might be today if I hadn't blown 25 years drunk.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
EndGame

How old will you be in ten years if you continue to drink? Twenty years? How much more of your life are you willing to sacrifice?

Personal development, important accomplishments in life, and experiences and relationships that can be transformative are pretty much off the table when we're drinking, even if some good things happen. Sometimes by accident and before we ruin them. We don't know how good or meaningful our lives can become until we take steps to make it that way. And there's always an excuse to start tomorrow. Or next year.

It was impossible for me to live an honest life when I was drinking. It didn't work with the way I drank. I felt forever on the edge of losing something; losing something else. The way I Iived my life made many of my nightmares come true. I could never outrun them. That's never how the game ends.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My dangerous drinking didn't really start until my 30's - I'm asking the same questions you are about my 40's lol.

We can't get back time we lost, but losing more time isn't going to help! Your still young! A sober 30's will be awesome! This sober 39 year old would give anything to be sober for my 30's! Atleast I'm ending them well 💙
Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I drank my 20's and now half of my 30's away. The first time I attempted sobriety was age 28. The second time was age 31. Now I am almost 35 and working at recovery once again. I hope I find a way to make it stick this time.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This thread is a good reminder the sooner any of us get clean and sober and keep it that way, the better.

With that said what's done is done. I never get too upset about the past. Learn from it and move on. That's all we can do.