Notices

2 months sober and got lots of mouth ulcers

Old 10-28-2020, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

2 months sober and got lots of mouth ulcers

Hi all,

I'm 2 month sober, feeling great, going strong.

For the last month, I've been having plenty of mouth ulcers. Usually I'd have one mouth ulcer when I was feeling more stressed and 5 days later, it would disappear. Now I have more than 10 at the same time. In the cheek, gums, tongue and throat. Those who have had these, one hurts, you can imagine the pain 10 can cause me.

Could this be linked to my sobriety? Could my body be expelling the toxins and lowering my mouth pH, raising its acidity, enabling all these ulcers?
Old 10-28-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 2 months!
I've no experience with those but I would think a call to the doc. would be in order.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had mouth ulcers but not related to recent recovery.
They do really hurt so I'd see a Dr about it.

D
Old 10-28-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have thought they were linked to sobriety but checking on the UK's NHS website it recommends speaking to your GP or dentist if they persist or keep coming back or become painful and red.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mouth-ulcers/
Old 10-28-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post
Hi all,

I'm 2 month sober, feeling great, going strong.

For the last month, I've been having plenty of mouth ulcers. Usually I'd have one mouth ulcer when I was feeling more stressed and 5 days later, it would disappear. Now I have more than 10 at the same time. In the cheek, gums, tongue and throat. Those who have had these, one hurts, you can imagine the pain 10 can cause me.

Could this be linked to my sobriety? Could my body be expelling the toxins and lowering my mouth pH, raising its acidity, enabling all these ulcers?
Are you taking any medication, Renegade? I had dreadful ulcers when I took anti-malaria tablets. They gradually disappeared after a couple of weeks.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Erica375

Stress? That happened to me after my dad died, and I attributed it to stress. It was indeed very painful. Didn't think to see a doctor as I was busy and stressed as it was. They went away eventually. Is there some kind of mouth rinse that might help?
Old 10-30-2020, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The best answer is Dr.

I gargle with HydroPeroxide percentage solution sometimes. Nothing bad lasts long with stuff.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

See a Dr if you’re worried. I suffer with lots of mouth ulcers from time-to-time usually related to viruses I think.yours are Unlikely to be related to sobriety I imagine but who knows 🤷‍♂️
Old 10-31-2020, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking (sober from alcohol a couple years) I developed something called ANUG, diagnosed by my dentist. I had painful sores, with bleeding and inflamed gums. He prescribed a mouth rinse that helped. I would start with an appointment with your dentist, and the sooner the better.

He suspected it was caused from stress, and a hormonal shift possibly. I waited longer than I should have to make an appointment, thinking it would go away. It did not.

Quitting drinking is stressful. It could be viral as well. They have medication for that too. Definitely see a medical profession.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Congratulations on your 2 months!! As others have said, please check with a doctor or dentist.

I had the same issue and although I checked with both professionals I happened upon a natural remedy. My body was simply deficient of both zinc & lysine. I take a good quality daily supplement of both and have had no problems for a couple of years. Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!