Notices

30 Days clean and sober....in a row.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

30 Days clean and sober....in a row.

I was begging to think the bottom for me was death. I actually would have died a month ago had there not been people around. So there is the fear factor that has helped me stay sober. It was suggested I join an online AA Zoom meeting the first day I did not drink. I was really sick and would not have gone to one but listening in on one from my home was doable. I was surprised at how much I liked it and have been joining a couple a day for a month. I'm not sure what day I was on when I started coming here.

It is obvious I can't stay sober alone. Listening to people who understand and are in the same struggle as me has done wonders for my thinking. Previously I was surrounded (still am) by "normies". Living in a world of normies trying to be one when I am not has been a massive failure. They just think I am a bad person and don't understand why I would pick up after all that has happened through the years. I have accepted that I can not afford dubious luxerys of others such as anger, resentment and self pity to name a few. Others can play those games but I can't. I turn to drink as a solution for those negative feelings. I am learning to let go and accept life as it is. People as they are. Me as I am.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Larry, so nice to see your post this morning. There is life after addiction, it just takes some time and patience. After 9 months away from alcohol, I can honestly say the addiction has faded tremendously. I can move about my day know without having to be constantly on guard. It's so freeing but hard to explain. Keep going!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats, Brother!
Old 10-13-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done Larry, congrats on 30 days!

I love this site - it cheers me up, keeps me real...and often makes me laugh out loud. I love the fact you added "...in a row" to your title because I know what is like to count sober days in a year and not come to 30!!

"How long you been sober for?"

"30 days (since 1998)"
Old 10-13-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

haha, I also like, "In a row."

I was called on in an AA meeting in early sobriety and that's exactly what I said too, "I'm sober for a week. Seven days, IN A ROW."

Good deal and congrats on your first month of many, Larry.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

By the way: Im on 229 days sober...in a row!
Old 10-13-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats again Larry

D
Old 10-13-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job Larry. Keep going!
Old 10-13-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
It is obvious I can't stay sober alone. Listening to people who understand and are in the same struggle as me has done wonders for my thinking. Previously I was surrounded (still am) by "normies". Living in a world of normies trying to be one when I am not has been a massive failure. They just think I am a bad person and don't understand why I would pick up after all that has happened through the years. I have accepted that I can not afford dubious luxerys of others such as anger, resentment and self pity to name a few. Others can play those games but I can't. I turn to drink as a solution for those negative feelings. I am learning to let go and accept life as it is. People as they are. Me as I am.
This above was super well said. It is kind of why I love sober drunks . . . . if you are going to make it you have to be a better person. Recovering from being an alcoholic is like Spiritual Bootcamp in humility .

Congrats to you fine sir.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Recovering from being an alcoholic is like Spiritual Bootcamp in humility .
I love that!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days!
Old 10-14-2020, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
It is obvious I can't stay sober alone. Listening to people who understand and are in the same struggle as me has done wonders for my thinking. Previously I was surrounded (still am) by "normies". Living in a world of normies trying to be one when I am not has been a massive failure. They just think I am a bad person and don't understand why I would pick up after all that has happened through the years.
Normies don't understand. They don't know what you are going through. They just think you should just drink less. A group of recovering alcoholics offers an environment so different from the norm that it becomes a safe place where you can be understood. Hell, you just want to be understood. It's not like you are wishing people would fall at your feet and worship you. You would just like to be understood. Such a little thing to ask, and so rare out there in the real world.

But you can also learn to listen to other alcoholics who know what you are going through and can help you find your way back to the real world. It's call sharing. But you have to learn that while you can return to the real world, you can never fit there unless you stay sober. The experience is very satisfying.

You are on your way, not quite out of the woods, but if you can do a month you can do a year, which becomes the rest of your life, and it's very rewarding. There is still lots to learn about this life of sobriety in the midst of society of drinking normies. Don't give this up. Just keep learning.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Larry, that is Awesome!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
A group of recovering alcoholics offers an environment so different from the norm that it becomes a safe place where you can be understood.
Right on point!!! Especially in our politically supercharged divided pandemic "New Normal" world. AA Zoom meetings are an hour plus of peace and sanity. I used to think it was the other way around. This crazy 2020 has actually given me more reason and motivation to look forward to meetings.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow congrats!!!!! Wishing you infinite sober days going forward!!!!
Old 10-14-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations Larry. Your post was great, and so very happy for you.

I loved "in a row" too. Also "boot camp in humility" from someone else.

Ten months for me Larry and life is so much better. Hope you stay to share your own unique experience.