Notices

How many Drinks does it take to get to the center of a POP

Old 10-16-2020, 01:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ha i was referring to the tootsie roll pop commercial I remember watching as a kid. My last drink was Tuesday. Having a bit of an existential crisis and have a lot of thinking to do. The thought of suicide used to at least give me some comfort as if I wanted to opt out of life that option was always available. Now I feel that would not solve anything. There is no real escape.. But I guess its a condition all humans must face.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that once I gave up drinking, real life wasn't actually that bad and neither was sober me?

I'm not saying my life now is all milk and honey but I don't have the need to escape from anything now.

D
Old 10-16-2020, 01:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sober style

Hang in there, NewBeginnings. Your name bodes well for the future, I'd say. Congrats for 2-3 days too, onward and upward.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is the strangest thread I have read in a long time.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Ha i was referring to the tootsie roll pop commercial I remember watching as a kid. My last drink was Tuesday. Having a bit of an existential crisis and have a lot of thinking to do. The thought of suicide used to at least give me some comfort as if I wanted to opt out of life that option was always available. Now I feel that would not solve anything. There is no real escape.. But I guess its a condition all humans must face.

“A lot of thinking to do”...the most dangerous activity for an alcoholic. The best was to fix that problem is to get with an AA sponsor and let them do the thinking for you.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If you want to stop drinking, and stay stopped, I hope you reconsider not taking the advice of the many people who have been in similar positions and have already done the experimenting for you. I don't think I need to cross-reference threads for my point to be taken. This isn't intended to be a "told you so" comment - I just know that sometimes I need to have things like this pointed out to me so I can learn from them. Take care.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, we need to take sobriety and recovery seriously. It's not just an exercise in existential philosophy, or some new eccentric lifestyle. I made that mistake (way too long) when I was much younger and, looking back, certainly think it wasn't an effective approach. Also agree with everyone who said that many of those dark thoughts will lift significantly once alcohol is out of the picture for a few months, and you make efforts to remodel your lifestyle, using a more constructive and healthier plan. Escape into death is possible, but is that what you want? If not, there is indeed no escape from yourself, but you can change many things about who you are and how you live now.