Notices

Starting over again

Old 10-02-2020, 08:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nez

Sadly my 3 year old does see what I see. She called them owies on my face. Of course she doesn't care as long as I play with her.
My goal is to retrain myself to see the world with the eyes of a child. I want to look with wonder and amazement at all the things before me, instead of through the false filters I have acquired over the years. To play with life. Owies will come and owies will go. So will life. Because of this, I want to play with life as much as possible before it is gone.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi relena. I feel for you....it sounds really hard, what you are going through. I don't have acne but I remember, when I first tired to get sober years ago, that I hated the way I looked. I couldn't tolerate being in my own skin sober and it was really upsetting.

As others have said, there is a good chance that your system is all over the place and that the toxins are coming out of your body, which is aggravating everything. Try and stick with it, and there will be an improvement soon. Be kind to yourself and take care of yourself. You deserve too and it will help to calm your system down.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Relena, I'm sorry about the breakouts you're going through, but I wonder if your skin will clear up on its own, once your body adjusts to your sober life. This may be a very temporary thing. I hope that's the case.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Hi relena. I feel for you....it sounds really hard, what you are going through. I don't have acne but I remember, when I first tired to get sober years ago, that I hated the way I looked. I couldn't tolerate being in my own skin sober and it was really upsetting.

As others have said, there is a good chance that your system is all over the place and that the toxins are coming out of your body, which is aggravating everything. Try and stick with it, and there will be an improvement soon. Be kind to yourself and take care of yourself. You deserve too and it will help to calm your system down.
Thank you so much. I will stick with it.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Relena, I'm sorry about the breakouts you're going through, but I wonder if your skin will clear up on its own, once your body adjusts to your sober life. This may be a very temporary thing. I hope that's the case.
I'm hoping that will be the case, that it clears up on it's own with proper care and sobriety. I'm going to give it a chance. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The main thing that made me want to quit was the mental anguish. For some reason, the physical symptoms/potential issues didn't scare me.

The ever increasing lingering mental hell I experienced as me clean days counted up terrified me. Some folks don't know what is happening and end up seeing a Dr and getting meds. Now they are on mental meds potentially for the rest of their life.

SR taught me that eventually the mental anguish subsides and the clinical insanity goes away. It took nearly a year start to see some big happy result. There were/are still little wins every day, but the big changes towards feeling normal took years.

That is a reason to stay sober for me. Others might find the length of time it takes to feel better a reason to never quit.

My work buddy has been clean for 15 years. He says he jumps out of bed feeling like gang busters. I can't wait for that.

I will never never never drink booze again. It is poison and a learned behavior. It can be unlearned. It is a cultural thing.

Booze alters our CNS and our ability to produce natural feel good chemicals. That is the essence of addiction. It takes a long long long time to get used to normal. That is why so many never make it out.

I will never fatigue when it comes to reviewing these considerations. The review highlights them in my mind and hopefully sparks the fire to get someone else in a position to make the transition to born again non drinker forever.

Yay!

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
The main thing that made me want to quit was the mental anguish. For some reason, the physical symptoms/potential issues didn't scare me.

The ever increasing lingering mental hell I experienced as me clean days counted up terrified me. Some folks don't know what is happening and end up seeing a Dr and getting meds. Now they are on mental meds potentially for the rest of their life.

SR taught me that eventually the mental anguish subsides and the clinical insanity goes away. It took nearly a year start to see some big happy result. There were/are still little wins every day, but the big changes towards feeling normal took years.

That is a reason to stay sober for me. Others might find the length of time it takes to feel better a reason to never quit.

My work buddy has been clean for 15 years. He says he jumps out of bed feeling like gang busters. I can't wait for that.

I will never never never drink booze again. It is poison and a learned behavior. It can be unlearned. It is a cultural thing.

Booze alters our CNS and our ability to produce natural feel good chemicals. That is the essence of addiction. It takes a long long long time to get used to normal. That is why so many never make it out.

I will never fatigue when it comes to reviewing these considerations. The review highlights them in my mind and hopefully sparks the fire to get someone else in a position to make the transition to born again non drinker forever.

Yay!

Thanks.

I'm really happy for you. I remember each time I quit I would have severe anxiety attacks for a few days. But the older I get, the anxiety is becoming so much worse and lasting a lot longer each time. You're right, that's a great incentive to want to quit.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm on the side of toxins leaving, relena.

I know there is a difference, but still, I quit smoking about about a week ago, and my skin has broken out in red angry splotches. So disappointing because thought my skin would improve.

I must be making some progress at 9 months because don't care about stuff like that so much anymore. I'm sober, and I'm now not smoking. Things are not going to improve overnight, but they will in the long run. We're in this for the long haul. The prize.

When my son was a little boy he looked me in the face and said, oh, how pretty were my owies. From the mouths of babes.

Hang in relena. Love that face of yours for being sober.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi relena,

I too suffered acne in my teen and college years and took Accutane knowing the risks. I know how distressing acne can be. On quitting drinking as a middle aged adult I did get minor breakouts at first but my face face (and hair) looked haggard and aged from all the boozing anyway. Alcohol changes the face. 21 months of sobriety later things have improved, my skin is mostly clear and my hair, once greying prematurely, is starting to return to its youthful healthy shade.

One thing to remember is if you are are a drinker your inner Addictive Voice will make any excuse to justify drinking. Perhaps you should look at your thoughts of continuing drinking with this in mind. In the UK at least, a few weeks drinking money will buy you a consultation with a private dermatologist so that's something to consider.

All the best anyway,.. Forwards.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Hi relena,

I too suffered acne in my teen and college years and took Accutane knowing the risks. I know how distressing acne can be. On quitting drinking as a middle aged adult I did get minor breakouts at first but my face face (and hair) looked haggard and aged from all the boozing anyway. Alcohol changes the face. 21 months of sobriety later things have improved, my skin is mostly clear and my hair, once greying prematurely, is starting to return to its youthful healthy shade.

One thing to remember is if you are are a drinker your inner Addictive Voice will make any excuse to justify drinking. Perhaps you should look at your thoughts of continuing drinking with this in mind. In the UK at least, a few weeks drinking money will buy you a consultation with a private dermatologist so that's something to consider.

All the best anyway,.. Forwards.
21 months omg I hope I don't have to wait that long. I can't imagine 2 more years of this. I really, really can't. I have confidence now I can remain sober. But if I still look like this or worse for 2 more years .. I really don't know what life will be like. It won't be much of a life, I know that much. I spent over a year in my house, never leaving because I was so depressed about my skin. I can see myself easily reverting back to that.

Congratulations on your sobriety. Where I live it would cost me about $200 to see a dermatologist since I don't have insurance. That wouldn't include the cost of whatever medicine they prescribed. But I really don't need a dermatologist. Over 22 years of trial and error i've learned what works for my skin. This is the first time in a long time i've been at a loss. I'm going to continue hoping it is just toxins making their way out as others in this thread have suggested.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I also wanted to ask, who here experienced severe mood swings when they quit? I was first diagnosed with depression at a very young age, so I've experienced my fair share of mood swings. But they were never like this. I can just be sitting in bed and suddenly consumed by suicidal thoughts that come out of nowhere. Same thing happens to me with intense rage and anger. I either feel numb, miserable, or angry. Those are the only 3 emotions i'm working with at the moment.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely had major mood swings - they settled down after a few weeks

D
Old 10-03-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

double post

D
Old 10-04-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
21 months of sobriety later things have improved, my skin is mostly clear and my hair, once greying prematurely, is starting to return to its youthful healthy shade.
I am so glad to hear that this can happen! My hair started turning grey at the beginning of this year following a very stressful event (during which time I decided to get sober). Lost a lot of its shine, too.

relena, I have breakouts and blotchy redness when I quit booze and smoking. Every single time. It sucks, but usually my skin starts looking a lot better around the one month mark.

And, yes, I had mood swings. They calmed after a few weeks, but I also did some work to learn soothing techniques, including posting here a lot when I felt like a basket-case because I read something mean in the news or something. It gets better.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

So i'm a little over 2 weeks sober, still going strong with no cravings. I just had a question. For those here that were able to get bloodwork and tests done by a doctor after you quit drinking, is it common they test your hormone levels?

My face is still breaking out like a 12 year old boy going through puberty who also has horrible hygiene and washes their face with bacon grease. It sucks too because I had 3 days of perfectly clear skin last weekend. Then it went right back to breaking out.

I was reading more though about alcohol and it's effects on the endocrine system. I know of course the liver can repair itself to an extent if the damage isn't too severe. And the brain bounces back somewhat. But I haven't found any studies about the endocrine system being able to sort itself out.

Not asking for medical advice. Just genuinely curious why it isn't more common for people to worry about long term damage to the endocrine system. I know everyone's first concern is the liver, and I fully understand why it would be.

Chronic consumption of a large amount of alcohol disrupts the communication between nervous, endocrine and immune system and causes hormonal disturbances that lead to profound and serious consequences at physiological and behavioral levels. These alcohol-induced hormonal dysregulations affect the entire body and can result in various disorders such as stress abnormalities, reproductive deficits, body growth defect, thyroid problems, immune dysfunction, cancers, bone disease and psychological and behavioral disorders.
I can't wait for the day I can afford good insurance, the doctor's visits and the testing I need. I just want to know what i've done to myself, and if there is anything else I could be doing to help along the healing process. I want to be as healthy as I can be. All of these unanswered questions are driving me crazy. It's seriously all I think about.

I'll remain sober. I know it hasn't even been a month. I'm just whining, wishing I could feel or see any kind of improvement. The night sweats stopped and the panic attacks aren't as bad. That's about it.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had my hormones checked as far as I know but I'm a man and I'm bearded so who knows what my face is like under there..
I can say I'm a lot healthier now that I was then due to continued sobriety, lifestyle changes and just simply the passage of time in the areas of general fitness, mental health

D