Notices

I still really hate it here

Old 10-02-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I'm like many people in that I swallowed a lot of crap early in sobriety. The anger and sometimes rage forced me to figure out how to make my way through all of it. It was too painful.

I started to take everything that came my way in sobriety as part of the price of getting sober. Training myself to accept that, doing that, eventually made some things better and clearer for me years after I started getting sober; things that I could not have anticipated from where I was standing back then.

I don't believe that we know what we're capable of until we make the attempt.
Ditto.
In spades.
Tolerating people and my tremendous discomfort with them in rehab and sober living after was one of the hardest things (perhaps the very most difficult) thing I've ever done. The single most important lesson I took from all of the nonsense I had to endure was that none of that is about me and that I can survive just about anything for Now - including Not Drinking.

If the noise bothers you, leave the area. How important is that TV show in the scheme of things?
If you can't stand the bathroom, use the other one. Or close your eyes if there is no other one.
If they tell you to clean a mess, just clean it.
The lesson is not martyrdom or sainthood.
At least it doesn't need to be.

The lesson is what you make it.

Sounds like it really sucks there, man. Believe me when I say I can relate...

O
Old 10-02-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope you don't have to put up with it for too much longer spunout, it probably is best to suck it up until then.

It is a curious time for your house leader to take a vacation. You're right that the 81 year old man needs to be in some form of care home, it's not fair on him and it's not fair on others or at least that's how it sounds.

To expand on what EndGame mentioned you can use these as additional motivation. Meanwhile I am sorry that you have to go through this, quitting is quite hard enough as it is.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
nez

I used to have to put up with a ton of crap!#%@! Somewhere along the way in recovery I learned about coexisting and although it took me a while to recognize it, in the process of doing so the ton of crap greatly diminished in size.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
One person wants to watch TV. Two people want to talk. One person wants a smoothie. Who should get to do what they want to do?
Two people were watching T.V., as I previously stated I don't mind chatter so long as the volume is reasonable, and 9 PM isn't a reasonable time to be making smoothies. You can stop gaslighting.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by spunout View Post
Two people were watching T.V., as I previously stated I don't mind chatter so long as the volume is reasonable, and 9 PM isn't a reasonable time to be making smoothies. You can stop gaslighting.
I considered it a reasonable question. I ask myself similar questions whenever I am struggling with wanting the universe to run the way I think it should. Not to worry, I will cease and desist. No point wasting your or my time.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I come from a family of 7 kids and lived in public housing. Alcoholic father, teetotal, holier than thou mother. It was crap. I can survive!
Old 10-03-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
I considered it a reasonable question. I ask myself similar questions whenever I am struggling with wanting the universe to run the way I think it should. Not to worry, I will cease and desist. No point wasting your or my time.
Conflict of interest, considering it's your own question. More gaslighting. Yeah, you do that.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

For what its worth I don't think Nez was trying to upset you or gaslight you.
There's really no point in doing that here on a forum like this.

I don't think he would mind me saying Nez is an older guy like me and our responses are likely to be different to a younger mans.

Everyones trying to help - but being a big site, you'll find a whole range of different responses here.
Take the ones that resonate with you and leave the rest, if you like.

If some posters really upset you, you can use the ignore function.
Use the drop down menu under a posters name and you won't see their posts again.

D