Notices

Quitting smoklng/vaping

Old 09-29-2020, 12:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm now 24 hours off the vape. It's been hard but I'm managing. I had some juice left so I was putting that in my mouth to stave off withdrawal but that's gone. Hopefully the nicotine withdrawal over the next few days won't be too bad. I've done it before when I was in hospital so I know I can do it.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I'm now 24 hours off the vape. It's been hard but I'm managing. I had some juice left so I was putting that in my mouth to stave off withdrawal but that's gone. Hopefully the nicotine withdrawal over the next few days won't be too bad. I've done it before when I was in hospital so I know I can do it.
Nicotine withdrawal will not kill you like alcohol can, but be prepared for an obsession the likes of which you have never seen. You haven't actually quit yet, as you have been feeding it with nibbles. Some people can actually withdraw that way, but not all can. I actually took a test in a no smoking clinic with 5 other people to determine what withdrawal method could work for us. Mine came back "Go cold Turkey." So that's the way I did it.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I didn't find quitting smoking to be physically uncomfortable, just that I had to find other coping tools. So I wouldn't necessarily think that DriGuy's dire prediction is true for everyone.

I did a taper on both alcohol and nicotine, not sure if that's good or bad - but the majority of my nicotine "withdrawal" was psychological. My pacifier was gone.

Well done, FF, keep it going.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

I stopped using combustible tobacco and switched to vaping , the first few days felt like withdrawl even though I was still using nicotine , lending credence to my theory that there is a lot of other crap in cigarettes, lol. I think there are studies that suggest that 72 hours is a good benchmark for cessation of physical addiction to nicotine.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I bought a pack of cigarettes. After this I won't buy any more. So I'll be quitting sometime tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
nez

Just because you bought them, that doesn't mean that you have to smoke them. It won't be any easier tomorrow.

I never could build up to quitting anything. I either quit or I didn't. Right now, I could quit. Tomorrow I couldn't.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Agree, you can throw them out, FF.

Do or do not. Just like alcohol, make a Big Plan.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Does anyone have any tips for quitting vaping? I've tried in the past but it's so much more addictive than alcohol.

I've decided to quit this Friday at 6pm. I'm going to destroy all my vaping gear with water and pour my remaining vape juice down the sink on Friday at 6pm. Has anyone any advice on how I can succeed?
Allen Carr method was the one thing that helped quit smoking after years of patches, etc. It's pretty much cold turkey, but buy his DVD and he will explain why.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I may be in the minority here, but I say "If it helps you to stay sober, smoke em!" You can quit nicotine when you are well into sobriety. Too many cravings all at once can be extremely triggering.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
OX

For me running helped quit smoking. Nice lung burn there.
been 13 years or so and still get cravings. Have some smokable herbs for the real tough times (maybe 3x a year at a campfire). Sage, catnip, and a bunch of others I found off google. Not healthy to inhale but hasn’t been habit forming

been quitting a lot and maybe time to think of something to add to your life