Notices

Quitting smoklng/vaping

Old 09-27-2020, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting smoklng/vaping

Does anyone have any tips for quitting vaping? I've tried in the past but it's so much more addictive than alcohol.

I've decided to quit this Friday at 6pm. I'm going to destroy all my vaping gear with water and pour my remaining vape juice down the sink on Friday at 6pm. Has anyone any advice on how I can succeed?
Old 09-27-2020, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would advise not doing that.

Fix one thing at a time.

Set yourself a goal of 1-2 years of sobriety, then set goals for anything else ... vaping, weight loss etc

I've seen it sooooo many times.

Alcoholics go on these "everything has to be fixed NOW" obsessive compulsive runs where they attempt to do it all at once and the result is always "back on the booze"

Its a marathon, not a sprint 👍

Old 09-27-2020, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't you try this before and not getting very far, or am I confusing you with another person ?

I see also you're trying to quit eating coolies as well.

Don't get me wrong - I will always encourage people to quit all addictions - but don't load yourself up too much.

If you're hyper stressed out by all this self denial - and your default solution to that stress has been alcohol... quitting everything at the same time may leave you more vulnerable to cravings or other bad ideas.

Only you can decide that.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm just sick of being a slave to all my addictions. I want to be free.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've decided I'm going to move up my quit date.

From 9am this morning:

No more junk food
No more diet soda
No more vaping

I am taking control of my life.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Give it a go if you must FF, but if you have thoughts of drinking return to Plan A. Don't drink under any circumstance. Personally, I think you are too vulnerable at the moment, but good IDEA to want to be free of it all though.

It'll happen, but no need to rush.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am taking control of my life.
My AV was pretty tricky, but I'm a pretty tricky guy.

Sometimes there was not a lot of difference to what I saw as freedom and what was actually self sabotage.

Go easy, FF

D
Old 09-28-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I'm 64 minutes off the vape. Not having too bad cravings so far. I dumped everything in a public bin so I can't get it back.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
I would advise not doing that.

Fix one thing at a time.

Set yourself a goal of 1-2 years of sobriety, then set goals for anything else ... vaping, weight loss etc

I've seen it sooooo many times.

Alcoholics go on these "everything has to be fixed NOW" obsessive compulsive runs where they attempt to do it all at once and the result is always "back on the booze"

Its a marathon, not a sprint 👍
This was my experience as well a few years ago. The result was back on the booze. I smoke and really want to quit but I am taking things easy this time sobriety is priority. If you think you can quit everything at once FF thats great but if you are struggling then going back on the vaping for a time is ok until you are stronger. You've done so well building up some time away from alcohol, be kind to yourself and try and be patient the wheels will fall off the others in time. All the best.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms are starting to kick in. Feel terrible anxiety and restlessness.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nicotine is more addictive than alcohol by a long shot. It was for me anyway. The withdrawal is even different. Many alcoholics quit drinking, but are unable to quit smoking because nicotine is so much more addictive. Quitting both at the same time seems like a big bite to me, but some people have done it. I quit smoking many years before I quit drinking, but I don't think there is a recommended order. I quit smoking because it was more dangerous than alcohol. I actually read an article from a study that found that more alcoholics die from smoking related illness than they do from alcohol. Alcohol may not kill you as fast, but it tends to make you look like a fool. Nicotine just kills you without taking away your dignity entirely. Although the perception of smokers is no longer as glamorous as it once was either.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

5hours4minutes off nicotine. This is really hard. But I'm resolved to see it through. It'll hopefully only be a few days of misery.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why did I decide to quit vaping when I'm already stressed out about college and not being registered yet? I've thrown all my gear away in a public bin so there's not going back now. But stupid timing.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I lit a candle and put on some relaxing music and lied back and focused on my breathing for a while. Calmed me down. Have a lecture now. Will do some more deep breathing after it.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

ff, go get a new vape kit. Drink a caffeine-free coke. Eat a cookie.
And yes, breathe.

I'm not kidding about any of this. You chucked too many things in the bin all at once. You needn't fix all of your vices at once, you don't need to solve world peace, and you certainly don't deserve to suffer. Your body is already doing the work of re-regulating after long (over)use of alcohol. Doing it all at once is setting yourself up for failure. Or anyhow, it would me. For me, bundling all of these things together would be a natural thought (for a compulsive person like me) and I'm sure I've done it and I can promise you I failed miserably. One cookie, one cigarette, and I'd start beating myself up for screwing things up, not being able to stick with anything, being hopeless and worthless. Guess whose talking there? AV loves it when you feel like I've messed up. Loves it.

You can fix all the rest of it later.

Just
Don't
Drink

O
Old 09-28-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I cant actually afford to buy new vape gear right now. I just dropped money on counselling and a retirement gift of chocolates and wine for my mother and some non aloholic wine so I can drink with her to celebrate. And I have to get the train to Dublin to meet a lecturer on Wednesday. So I'm tapped out til next Monday.

​​​​Upshot: I can't afford booze either.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nez

The universe is ending you a message. I am getting better at listening to the messages that come my way, and these days I am not paying as much attention to the "I want, 2 year old" that has a tendency to run the show with his tantrums. Oh what a relief it is!

Old 09-28-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

With vaping you could step down the nicotine. Maybe get some unflavored of 0mg or even mix flavors. Vape unflavored for a bit, after a while there would be no chemical addiction.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

​​​​Upshot: I can't afford booze either.
This is good, but please also stay away from the hand sanitizer FF.

D
Old 09-28-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is good, but please also stay away from the hand sanitizer FF.

D
j

Oh I'm never drinking beer again never mind hand sanitizer. Hearing that I said something so nasty to my sister has put me off drinking ever again. I am never going to put another drop of alcohol to my lips