Notices

No support from alcoholic spouse

Old 09-07-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No support from alcoholic spouse

Ok my 2nd day, feel good. My husband comes home, obviously had a few. Of course he says i only had 1 shot and 1 beer. After 20 years, i know better. Then he proceeds to tell me everything wrong with me, from my being overweight, to not doing anything, etc. I just want to cry and drink and forget, but i just said i can't do this right now. Now I'm hiding in the bedroom. I know he's drunk, cause he's repeating himself. Anyway, so frustrated. But not drinking.so that's something.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like it he is scared of losing his drinking buddy and his power over you.

Don't let him. If your marriage goes, it goes. In my case, it went and we are both so much better off. He is still a jerk, but he is someone else's jerk.

The only important thing right now is not to drink, and not to change your mind. Your alcoholic voice (AV) will use your husband's behavior and anything else it can to convince you that you cant do this, but you can.

You really can.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a nightmare. I would recommend heavy doses of both AA and Al-Anon. This person will not be a good support for you and could be detrimental to your sobriety. Please find the support and tools you will need.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you have to deal with that backtogood - but I really believe you can, and stay sober. In fact I think staying sober will help you deal even better.

D
Old 09-08-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

That's not unsupportive, that's anti-supportive. Bummer! Glad you are posting here instead of wallowing in the gloom!

You can do this!
Old 09-08-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well that doesn't sound like a good place for you.

Stay sober and make a different life plan, he's a bad bet.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My husband started doing yoga and walking about 2 weeks ago. I've been with him for 25 years and never thought in a million years he'd walk...let alone do yoga.

I have yet to start a regular exercise routine.

It's embarrassing, but I've been fighting off feelings of resentment towards him. One minute I tell him I'm happy for him and the next I turn into a nasty b****. We sat down and talked about it last night. The problem is, he's making me face my deficits and short comings and I don't like it. I think it's called "projecting feelings" in the psychology world.

With this understanding, I'm changing focus...to exercise. He's enabling me to exercise. Enabling doesn't have to be negative.

Maybe he's projecting because you're sober and he's not? If he is, you have alcohol in the mix which further complicates things.

I'm just grateful that after 8 months sober, the urge to drink has all but vanished. Now I get to work on all this "self-improvement" stuff...which I really grateful for. Keep going!

Old 09-08-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll offer my experience, for whatever its worth. My wife is an alcoholic. She still drinks. I'm sober, just got a year a few weeks ago. It's been a hard transition, but actually good for our marriage.

She's a very fighty drunk. Our marriage was definitely on the rocks by the time I checked into rehab. I saw no way that we were going to be able to stay together after I got sober. I needed that drunk blur to survive the repetitive onslaughts of anger each night. She was unamused at my getting sober, and opposed to the program. Trash talked AA at every opportunity.

But instead, with a sober mind, I managed the situation differently. I explained that being sober was paramount to me, and that her drinking in front of me wasn't helping. Therefore, I told her that if she wanted to drink I couldn't stop her, but that we simply needed to separate for the night when she wanted to drink. No hard feelings, I'm not mad about it, but that's gotta be the end of our evening.

With a sober approach, I convinced her to live with that boundary. Now, every night around 8:00 she goes upstairs. I stay downstairs. She drinks. I read, play my video game, whatever. If she comes down to fight, I've made very clear that its unacceptable, and that if she can't control that one single boundary I will leave the marriage. 95% of the time she honors the boundary.

As a result, we're fighting less. No more drunken fights with angry words building resentments. We have less time together, but its sober and productive for our relationship. We're actually enjoying some of our time in the evenings, before she heads upstairs.

It's not the marriage I may have hoped for. I'd like more time with her, and less living in fear that she'll break my boundary. I do hope she gets sober someday, but can't force her to, and I have no control over that. I've tried to forgive her for the stuff she's said drunk, blame it on the booze rather than her, and I'm doing well at working on those resentments -- but they pop back up like old trauma when she chooses to come back downstairs and pick a fight once in a while. But I'll keep working.

But there really is hope. My approach was a boundary. You may find a different approach with a little sobriety. It's amazing what we can do with a sober focused mind.

Keep up the good work. You can do it -- I've managed it, and I'm nothing special, just another cliche drunk. These situations are tricky but really, truly, there may be a path that becomes available if you stay sober and keep looking for it. Check out the Al-Anon literature, it has some good hints for living with an alcoholic partner.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, well it's a lot different for a man to lay down a, "Go somewhere else when you drink," boundary than it is for a woman to try that very same tactic. I'm assuming you're male, SoberSax.

I've been in two physically abusive live-in relationships in which the anger/emotional/physical abuse escalated with alcohol and drugs. The only safe thing for me to do was wait till they were away and move out, disappear and never go back.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yeah, well it's a lot different for a man to lay down a, "Go somewhere else when you drink," boundary than it is for a woman to try that very same tactic.

I've been in two physically abusive live-in relationships in which the anger/emotional/physical abuse escalated with alcohol and drugs. The only safe thing for me to do was wait till they were away and move out.
I respect that. I didn't lay the boundary down by force, but through discussion. If there's abuse, I'm not giving any advice in that situation AT ALL.

I'm just giving my experience that a relationship with an alcoholic partner (assuming no abuse, etc) can be managed during sobriety in some circumstances. One size never fits all, your mileage may vary, no advice offered -- just offering experience, strength and hope.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Backtogood, and I'm glad you're sober.

Verbal abuse, name-calling, is abuse. I hope you begin to see that you don't need to accept living with someone who tears you down. Maybe AlAnon in your city would be helpful for you.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberSaxophone View Post
I'll offer my experience, for whatever its worth. My wife is an alcoholic. She still drinks. I'm sober, just got a year a few weeks ago. It's been a hard transition, but actually good for our marriage.

She's a very fighty drunk. Our marriage was definitely on the rocks by the time I checked into rehab. I saw no way that we were going to be able to stay together after I got sober. I needed that drunk blur to survive the repetitive onslaughts of anger each night. She was unamused at my getting sober, and opposed to the program. Trash talked AA at every opportunity.

But instead, with a sober mind, I managed the situation differently. I explained that being sober was paramount to me, and that her drinking in front of me wasn't helping. Therefore, I told her that if she wanted to drink I couldn't stop her, but that we simply needed to separate for the night when she wanted to drink. No hard feelings, I'm not mad about it, but that's gotta be the end of our evening.

With a sober approach, I convinced her to live with that boundary. Now, every night around 8:00 she goes upstairs. I stay downstairs. She drinks. I read, play my video game, whatever. If she comes down to fight, I've made very clear that its unacceptable, and that if she can't control that one single boundary I will leave the marriage. 95% of the time she honors the boundary.

As a result, we're fighting less. No more drunken fights with angry words building resentments. We have less time together, but its sober and productive for our relationship. We're actually enjoying some of our time in the evenings, before she heads upstairs.

It's not the marriage I may have hoped for. I'd like more time with her, and less living in fear that she'll break my boundary. I do hope she gets sober someday, but can't force her to, and I have no control over that. I've tried to forgive her for the stuff she's said drunk, blame it on the booze rather than her, and I'm doing well at working on those resentments -- but they pop back up like old trauma when she chooses to come back downstairs and pick a fight once in a while. But I'll keep working.

But there really is hope. My approach was a boundary. You may find a different approach with a little sobriety. It's amazing what we can do with a sober focused mind.

Keep up the good work. You can do it -- I've managed it, and I'm nothing special, just another cliche drunk. These situations are tricky but really, truly, there may be a path that becomes available if you stay sober and keep looking for it. Check out the Al-Anon literature, it has some good hints for living with an alcoholic partner.
i appricate your view and I can relate in, I am, for myself, getting sober. We have drank together for 20 years, but I'm done and my body is done. I have not asked him to quit, cause everybody needs to quit when they choose to. He wants to and has talked about it for 20 years, but has to be his choice. But I'm day 3 in my journey and hanging out in the garage together where we always drink is a trigger. And him putting me down and wanting to fight causes me stress is a trigger. Like last night, i had to just walk away and be on separate spaces. Maybe it will be like you and your wife, maybe he will see me reap the benefits and climb on-board, maybe we split. I'm just working on my day 3.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Backtogood, and I'm glad you're sober.

Verbal abuse, name-calling, is abuse. I hope you begin to see that you don't need to accept living with someone who tears you down. Maybe AlAnon in your city would be helpful for you.
I agree, and i think in our 20 years of drinking together we both have been verbally abusive, while drunk, at some point. I'm working on me, for me. If he wants to be part of that, great. If he wants to split, i will be sad, but okay. I think at some point you become numb to the put downs.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
I agree, and i think in our 20 years of drinking together we both have been verbally abusive, while drunk, at some point. I'm working on me, for me. If he wants to be part of that, great. If he wants to split, i will be sad, but okay. I think at some point you become numb to the put downs.
Hi,

I admire your tenacity with regard to quitting drinking even though you've chosen to stay in the same house with your husband as he drinks.
I hope that works out for you and that you don't succumb.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel for you....

I have been dealing with the drunken husband too. Not abusive though, but totally unsupportive and that's been hard enough. I don't know what to say except that I'm sending love and support to you.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My spouse isn't verbally abusive to me so much as he falls into a negative toxic spiral of depression and resentment towards the world. If I am out of town, which I am for work fairly often, I cannot rely that he will not get loaded and not take care of himself and he doesn't deal with managing things except at the most minimal level. It scares the crap out of me, especially as our two dogs need care while I am away, and so far he manages it, but we all know things go downhill over time.

I have been pretty much at the end of my rope, and it has put my own sobriety at risk (including relapse and failure) many times. From this experience, I really suggest you focus on your own sobriety and don't let what he says / does compromise that. It may mean the end of your marriage, or he may choose to get with the program and get sober himself, which my spouse has recently done.

I am putting my sobriety first at this point, and hoping that he truly is getting sober for good, but I know I will have to think deeply about what I want from the rest of my life if he decides to continue drinking in the future. At this point, I hate alcohol and everything to do with it, and I don't want it in my life or home in any form. That feeling just gets stronger the longer I am sober.

I wish you the very best.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello Backtogood, My husband was my drinking buddy for over 40 years. It was fun, way back when we were young, even though there were warnings way back that this drinking was becoming a problem. I attempted to quit many times, without success. My husband had no desire to quit, even after getting in trouble with the law because of his drinking. But I kept trying, and one day I decided that I had really had enough. I told my husband I was quitting drinking. My husband continued to drink, but I was DONE. My thoughts changed as I went on this journey of sobriety. I was sad and mad at my husband, who continued to drink right in front of me. I had to learn that this was my journey, not his, and I needed to take care of myself. I did. I have no desire to drink and a much more positive outlook for myself and my time left here on earth. It feels great to be sober. I was, and am, proud of myself for this accomplishment, and I would never, ever, want to go back to that lifestyle.
Forward 4 years from that very hard and stressful time and my husband has just gone to rehab for a month and is starting his own journey to recovery. I hope he can stay the course. He has a supportive and knowledgeable spouse in the background, although he knows that this is his journey. I will continue on mine.
Help yourself, do what you need for yourself, and be good to yourself. Maybe down the road your husband will see all of the positive aspects of being sober and will change his thoughts about alcohol. It is not an easy journey, but one that reaps rewards way beyond the effort. And it gets easier, I promise. You have that extra burden of having a drinking spouse, but for me, it made me stronger and more committed to be successful. Do what you need to do. One day in the future, you will be able to smile at yourself!
Old 09-08-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your thoughts and support.