Notices

Rehab?

Old 09-06-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab?

Anybody done inpatient rehab? Is it only for hardcore types who need medical supervision?

I can't do this on my own or with online AA. It feels like 30 days of focusing only on sobriety and re-learning how to live sober would be helpful. The only think I'm worried about is that I may not be severe enough. Would they turn me away if I told them I only drink a couple nights a week or that I have been sober for a month on my own?

I relapsed again last night, and I'm afraid and a bit desperate. It's H311. How do I get out of here?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please. I need help. Is rehab just for the physically addicted?

Online AA isn't working for me. If anything, it's a trigger, a reminder of how much I hate this "new normal." I need a structured program, and I need to focus 100 percent on sobriety. Is rehab good for people like me? I have insurance and all that.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey. They won't turn you away. Before I went I told them about my drinking beforehand and explained the fact that my drinking was problematic. There were people that I was there with that didn't drink as often as me but knew that they needed the help. An environment that is focused on sober living is very help. The counselors there were very helpful in trying to find the root cause for the problem and talking through the "why" I/we drink/drug. A lota of the people that worked there where I went were recovering addicts as well. So it made me more incline to listen because they knew first hand what we all were going through and what they did to get sober. That was my experience. So I think if you feel the need to go I would give it a shot for sure. I was apprehensive at first but it helped me a lot. Good luck and prayers to you.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I strongly recommend inpatient rehab, and no it is not just for the physically addicted. The majority with whom I was in treatment were not physically addicted. Online AA isn't working for me either at present. Recently I have been finding the meetings boring and depressing. I use my own plan which is heavy on physical exercise.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Where I live there are many types of in-patient rehabs. They will take you in at whatever "stage" you are in. Here go through an "intake" interview and then they give options based on that. There are certainly ones that help you through the initial week(s) of withdrawal with medical supervision, but some that require 2 weeks of sobriety before you can go. Follow whatever is driving you to be sober. Can't hurt to make that call today. Let us know what you decide.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm going to check myself in somewhere soon.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post
Thank you. I'm going to check myself in somewhere soon.
Why “soon”? Why not today? Make the call today and set it up for this week. I see many people (including myself of old) have this thought while desperate only to have it pass on a day or so. Make the call.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to know that you're taking action and seeking help. That's great. I haven't done rehab, but I'm sure they won't turn you away. I hope it turns out to be really helpful for you.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Anybody done inpatient rehab? Is it only for hardcore types who need medical supervision?

I can't do this on my own or with online AA. It feels like 30 days of focusing only on sobriety and re-learning how to live sober would be helpful. The only think I'm worried about is that I may not be severe enough. Would they turn me away if I told them I only drink a couple nights a week or that I have been sober for a month on my own?

I relapsed again last night, and I'm afraid and a bit desperate. It's H311. How do I get out of here?
Hi,

Yes, I've been to inpatient - nine times in California, Washington, Florida and Oregon. The longest time I went was for three months. That was my 5th center. I wasn't ready to get sober after that, but I gained some valuable perspective. Staying there also kept me away from alcohol for 90 days which was awesome.

You don't have to worry about being a hardcore enough drinker. That you have an issue with alcohol is all that matters. I don't think you're going to be turned away unless you pull out your minimizing my drinking card to such an extent that you convince the intake person that you don't need to go. When you call to see if they have an opening, you'll be interviewed about your drinking. Fortunately for you - he or she knows to look for those lines of bologna, and you'll be in in no time.

A lot of people are afraid to go to inpatient and I never understood why. I still don't. It's not jail. You will share a room with someone else, go to classes, have free time, eat, sleep, and get to know other people who can identify with you. It's sorta cool actually. Some of the best friends I've ever made were in treatment with me.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Why “soon”? Why not today? Make the call today and set it up for this week. I see many people (including myself of old) have this thought while desperate only to have it pass on a day or so. Make the call.
I made the call. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made the call. Thanks.
Awesome! I did inpatient rehab and I highly recommend it! Insurance covers it.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

NotThatGuy, it's really great you made the call.

Use this momentum to get in as soon as you can. I am blessed to have made that call and be admitted the following day, on January 29th of this year. It was that same desperation that got me there. I used the time to really work on my contributing factors (defects, if you will) and it was very hard work, indeed.

At my rehab, the behavior that was "rewarded" was toeing the line, talking the talk, all that surface stuff. I'd done so much treatment before that didn't "work" because I used my excellent A-student skills to go through the experience. That went out the window this time. Quiet, "good," compliant me went on a hike and I pulled out my very real struggles so that I could actually work through them. Some folks didn't care much for that; they prefer warm and fuzzy to raw and struggling. Too bad for them. I was there to save my life.

After 8 weeks in rehab, I went to a sober living home for another three months. I sure as shootin didn't want to do that, but it ended up delivering more lessons no one would have anticipated, but were absolutely critical for me.

I hope you can get in quickly.
Fingers and toes crossed for you.

O
Old 09-06-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I made the call. Thanks.
You’re welcome. I’m very excited to see you overcome this problem. We will all be pulling for you and here to help. This is great news!
Old 09-06-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Because of the holiday weekend and glitches with the insurance website, they won't be able to do the intake interview until Tuesday at the earliest, but it feels good and a little scary to have at least taken the first step.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'd push a little on this.
Insurance companies use phones, too.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It will be the best move you’ve ever made. It is commonplace for people to have one last hurrah, so if you do that. You will need to detox. In any event, it is a good place to lay the foundation for sobriety. I would further recommend you go to a program that is 12 step based. Good luck, and take it seriously.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ZIP

Nice work!
I did outpatient, but my group members all had the choice to go inpatient when registering. Some did...and joined us later in outpatient sessions.
I'm glad I did it. It has kept me dry at 22 months.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made the call

D
Old 09-06-2020, 05:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LumenandNyx View Post
Hi,

Yes, I've been to inpatient - nine times in California, Washington, Florida and Oregon. The longest time I went was for three months. That was my 5th center. I wasn't ready to get sober after that, but I gained some valuable perspective. Staying there also kept me away from alcohol for 90 days which was awesome.
Yes can identify. I was in inpatient rehab in Ireland for close to nine weeks from the end of April to end of June. Unfortunately I still relapsed owing to v difficult life circumstance so had to go back in again for a shorter spell. Currently gratefully sober for 25 days and intend remaining so.

Originally Posted by LumenandNyx View Post
A lot of people are afraid to go to inpatient and I never understood why. I still don't. It's not jail. You will share a room with someone else, go to classes, have free time, eat, sleep, and get to know other people who can identify with you. It's sorta cool actually. Some of the best friends I've ever made were in treatment with me.

I agree with you 100%.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey, I'mNotThatGuy--I'm so glad that you are going to do inpatient. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I needed the structure and safety, and I learned so much from my peers. Keep an open mind and be willing to listen to everything. Don't be afraid, just embrace the situation and treasure this time to get your life back together. My best wishes for you on this life-changing event.