Notices

3 months (yay!) and mental health

Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 months (yay!) and mental health

3 months in and my resolve has not diminished! I have definitely been more aware of what triggers me, but I have faith in my decision to keep at it. Recently, I've realized that a lot of my issues may be explained through severe bipolar symptoms. I don't want to strictly self-diagnose though so I made an appointment to start therapy again. While there's a lot more to it that I won't get into now, it would explain a lot of the lack of impulse control. It hit me like a ton of bricks to have everything possibly make sense. It was/is scary, especially when I don't entirely feel in control of myself. And even more especially in regards to my states of happiness. It's sad to not entirely trust when I'm feeling good as "real." But it also deepens my resolve to understand and love myself. My ability to be more authentic and the realness of my connection with my friends, family, and coworkers only grows. I'm more aware of being present. When I talk to someone, I'm not just thinking about excusing myself to fill up my glass again. I'm actually there for them. I genuinely care about our relationship and how we can help each other through life's journey. So I feel like I am becoming better for these people in my life too and that knowledge brings me joy. I am so grateful for the gifts that sobriety has given me and I wish you all light and love on your path.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations and well done JustPeachy

D
Old 08-30-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three months!
Old 08-30-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done, JustPeachy.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JustPeachy, I can relate to your response of not quite trusting those feeling a of happiness.

For me it’s because I know that that is when the false whisper of ‘you can do controlled drinking’ start.

well done on achieving everything you have x
Old 08-31-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

3 months is a big stretch of time. You should be very proud especially considering the realizations you are having. I was feeling a lot like you when I decided to get sober for good. Keep going and always stay connected with your reasons for quitting!