Notices

Day 1 feel like crap

Old 07-25-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 feel like crap

I have been working up my day 1 for a couple of weeks now. I wake up and say to myself, today is day 1. But i also know that if i start day 1, I'm in it for good. I have to quit for my health, my sanity, my son, my husband, but totally all in for myself. So here i am, awake, sweaty, clammy, nausea, and anxious as hell...
Old 07-25-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah. That's how it goes. But - - - it passes. Once it does - you don't ever have to endure it again.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you are on Day 1.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're going to be ok Backtogood.

Seven months for me and am beginning to slowly reap the benefits. Learning to like myself. Not wanting to deny myself.

You won't regret it. Wish I had been smart enough to do it sooner.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Be strong and get thru the first few days, it gets better after that.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
But i also know that if i start day 1, I'm in it for good.
Just quit for today. That's all you need to worry about right now.

Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 07-25-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
OX

Heal well. Back to good. Soon better than ever
Old 07-25-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, i know it will be a long journey and will be worth it, but sometimes i feel very much alone and get too inside my head. This site has helped, listening to others stories, not feeling so isolated.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats backtogood - it all gets better from here- I promise

D
Old 07-25-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate to being too much in your own head, and the anxiety. Give yourself a chance. Take it bit by bit and breathe. Distract yourself from the stuff in your head by keeping busy or even just watching a movie or tv show. Get yourself through this day and go from there. Drink lots of water. You are so not alone. As I read through different posts it gives me some comfort to know that the hell I have experienced from alcohol is something many people have experienced. It sucks, but at least you know what you have to do. PM me any time if you want to talk. Stay strong.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The first day has to be the worst. Not drinking feels about as natural as going to live on Mars. As Dee days, it does get easier (the not drinking thing, not sure about Mars, bit cold probably). The trouble is, and I’ve done this as has almost everyone here, is we feel we deserve a little treat after x days or weeks, a little glass of wine perhaps. All the good work is undone. The cravings come back worse. I always say it’s heartbreaking when the penny drops, and we realise we can’t ever drink again.

Being sober probably is like living on Mars. It’s not so bad once you get used to it, lots of new stuff to discover and you’ve got to stay and make it work. If you kept on going back to Earth every few weeks, you’d never acclimatise.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you this Day 1 evening BTG? Hang in there ok? Don't worry about the next few days. Focus on yourself. For weeks I didn't eat anything but watermelon and raspberries and cheesecake. Your sober life will be so much more simple. No hangovers. No planning or hiding. A quiet mind, healthy and at peace.

Sleep might be an issue but it is another one that worry doesn't change so just roll with it. Even at 3 a.m., you can lie there and relax, which has restful benefits even if you aren't sleeping. And the knowledge that although tired, in the morning you will be clear headed and able to function is awesome imho.

Congrats on being sober.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your day one! I hope you’re doing well tonight!
Old 07-25-2020, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All your kind words and i messed up. I only had two, convinced myself it would help with the withdraws. I feel disappointed, but happy i made it all day til 830. 2marrow is another day...
Old 07-25-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It’s ok just dust yourself off and keep moving forward. Get those first couple days over with and it gets so much better. It’s worth it and so are you!
Old 07-25-2020, 10:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
All your kind words and i messed up. I only had two, convinced myself it would help with the withdraws. I feel disappointed, but happy i made it all day til 830. 2marrow is another day...
Have a plan for tomorrow night, log on here when the thought of drinking pops in your head, someone will be here to help talk you through the feeling.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This can be the last 'Day 1' you ever have to go through, remember that.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"but happy i made it all day til 830. 2marrow is another day..." That's your addictive voice [AV]
Kick that SOB to the curb and don't debate, talk or listen to it. No good will come from it. Trust me.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I’m afraid that’s true. Stopping drinking means just that. Your body has to know you mean business, and there’ll be no more alcohol. Getting to 8pm or two weeks or two months and then drinking is giving in.

I’ve been guilty of giving in many times, but when I finally realised I was fooling myself, it was relatively easy.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had sooooo many start dates that didn't work for me. I tried and would think, if I can make it x amount of time...blah blah blah.

I don't remember most things that happened on my last day of drinking but the one thing I do remember, me sitting on my porch telling myself I'm sick and effing tired of the drinking and I want my life back and I'm done. That was it.

I didn't think past not drinking now. I didn't think down the road, it was just don't drink now.

YMMV