Notices

Day 1 feel like crap

Old 07-26-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How are you today BackToGood? If you truly only had two drinks last night, today should be much more manageable for you symptom-wise. As others have wisely pointed out, your dirty AV plays those little games. Just a few drinks and all will be well - a lie. Expect the same urges tonight and this morning try to make a plan to get past that urge window. Script every minute and keep busy and occupied. Have an agenda. It can be the day you start making a plan to stay sober come what may.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How is it going?
Old 07-27-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Free.

You can do this Backtogood.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You'll get that day 1, then day 2 and so on. Before long you realise that you can do this and it's just a matter of making the small right choices every day to keep you going. Work out you danger spots and plan for them. Find things to distract yourself and to relax. Read here, there is so much knowledge here that can help.

Love to you. These early days are tough.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How are you doing?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

To be honest, tapering off isn’t a bad idea if you’ve been going hard and heavy. If you had two last night and one or two tonight you should be in a good spot to make a run at this. But can you really have one or two? After a couple days of tapering down even touching the stuff runs the risk of setting off on a bender, then back to square one. Ask how I know.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
How is it going?
haven't made it past day 1 yet...drinking less. Instead of 1/2 a 5th to a 5th, I'm at a quarter of a 5th. Even at that i barely even feel a buzz, my tolerance is too high. My AV is strong and very convincing. I physically don't feel good or healthy, doc says its my liver. (Duh) I think its a combination of dehydration, hangover, and anxiety! Like many of said, i need a plan! I find I'm so bored when it gets to the normal time for me to start drinking. Imagine how much time I'll have when i actually quit!
Old 07-30-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're going to taper you need an end point...a progressive taper down to zero.
Otherwise its just drinking, man.

Hope you get there soon.

D
Old 07-30-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
... I find I'm so bored when it gets to the normal time for me to start drinking. Imagine how much time I'll have when i actually quit!
Well, one thing that will fill your time is writing down things you like to do to fill your time. Then - start doing them!
Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You have hours and hours more each day BTG. It is one of the best things about sobriety. Make rethinking "boredom" one of the things you focus on. I think sober we just aren't used to peace, calm and quiet and we mistakenly label those sensations as "boredom". What others call boredom I call time that I can spend any way I choose. This evening, watching the ball game, reading on SR, glancing at a few new cookbooks, helping the neighbor kid learn to light the weber and properly grill without burning up the meal, the house or himself. I would have done NONE of those things in my drinking days.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That boredom is the hole that is left when you don't drink. It will get filled but it will take time and effort on your part. One thing I have learned is recovery is hard and takes effort and has to be your number 1 priority.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you're going to taper you need an end point...a progressive taper down to zero.
Otherwise its just drinking, man.

Hope you get there soon.

D
i hear that completely. I'm scared of withdrawals, so i want to taper, but I'm an alcoholic, so that sometime's can be a bust. I was so ashamed of drinking after i posted, i have avoided this site, but finally I'm back.