Notices

Changes

Old 07-21-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changes

I've read many posts and articles and memoirs talking about getting sober. I wondered if anyone here would share with me the positive changes they noticed early on into getting sober, both mental or physical? I feel like if I can start to recognize that good things are starting to happen to me it will strengthen my resolve to stay away from alcohol. I have already recognized the relief I feel each morning waking up and being able to remember the night before. I feel stronger knowing I am in control of what I'm saying and doing all the time. I feel more plugged in to the world around me, not having to worry about when I will be able to drink. I think some of my anxiety is beginning to dissipate. My heart doesn't seem to be racing like it was. I don't feel as puffy as I did a week ago. I find myself being more in control of what I'm eating. This is all just after one week. I'm writing this down hoping for some insight as what positive things I can look forward to, but also to remember the positive things that are already happening so far. When I've tried to stop drinking in the past as soon as I started to feel better my addictive voice always starts it's dance. I don't want to go back to where I was. Thanks for being a safe community for me to share my worries and ask my questions. It really helps.

I chose to add this emoji as a visual reminder of the way that my AV sneaks up on me when I'm starting to feel better.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Within two weeks I was sleeping better. My food tasted better. I took better care of my dogs and cats. I woke up feeling good.

Within a month I was feeling much less depressed and hopeless.

I'm sure others will add their own experiences. I just know that I felt alive and hopeful and stopped hating myself.

It was hard at first but it got easier with more sober time. I've been sober over 10 and a half years and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All the things you listed are what I would say to.
1. Not waking up sick.
2. Less anxiety
3. Little to no depression
4. More clarity
5. Happier
6. Better shape physically mentally
7. Eat better yummier food
8. Better relationships
9. Better sex (Yup that's there)
10. Better every damn thing

It is important to note that life has its ups and downs and most humans cannot avoid that. Our non alky substance abusing friends have problems too they just deal with them like "Normal" people.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ellie, it sounds like you're already finding positive changes, and good for you for being proactive and trying to build on those changes.

I enjoyed the taste of good food.

I became hopeful that I could mend bridges with my family.

I was less isolated and lonely.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No more irritable stomach and bowel. Able to eat almost any foods when the thought of some the next day turned my stomach. Able to nap now when my racing heart wouldn’t allow that. No more feeling of total dread until I drank that day. No more counting the minutes until my first drink of the day. No more making excuses why I can’t do things at night because I’d rather drink. No more sneaking vodka in my checked luggage so I had something to drink while on vacation. Etc., etc.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The dark circles under my eyes disappeared after about 4 weeks.

My wine belly deflated by itself ... that took about 8 weeks and a good friend even commented.

I felt freedom from secrets and shame. I didn't have to be calculating when I could drink, or whether I could wake up in time for an early meeting, or worry about answering the phone in the evening. I was a whole person without any secret hidden parts to me.

Being able to turn in on an evening and feel proper peace of mind. 'Sleep in peace when day is done, that's what I mean.' Like Nina Simone sang. That's the best way to describe it.