Notices

Fell over :-(

Old 07-19-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell over :-(

So Im on day 5 and feel a bit better and thought I'd go out for a nice healthy walk in nature.
Not even 10 mins into it I tripped over my own feet and fell over in the middle of the street!
Stone - cold - sober
My ankle is now ****** and my AV is screaming.
I'm so upset.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Our co-ordination is affected by long-term alcohol abuse, especially if, like me, you are no longer under forty. Pick yourself up, carry on, and don't drink today. You are in very early days so don't beat yourself up that you fell over in the street.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

At least now if you get an injury you will know where it came from, so you got that going for you. Remember waking up with mysterious bruises and only partially being able to trace it back to a fight with the coffee table or vacuum? Seriously tho, walking is such a great thing for your mind and body especially that first year. I hope the ankle isn't too bad and you can still take care of yourself that way.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

You’ll heal faster and lower the risk of making the injury worse if you stay sober 🏃‍♀️
Old 07-19-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Our co-ordination is affected by long-term alcohol abuse, especially if, like me, you are no longer under forty. Pick yourself up, carry on, and don't drink today. You are in very early days so don't beat yourself up that you fell over in the street.
Thankyou for replying
I'm actually scared this time around.
I've tried to give up drinking several times in the last 10 years and this time feels different.
​​​I think you're right its probably co - ordination and age.
I can't weight bear on my foot at all and live on my own so I'm upset.
But at least I can't go out and buy alcohol - silver linings and all that.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
At least now if you get an injury you will know where it came from, so you got that going for you. Remember waking up with mysterious bruises and only partially being able to trace it back to a fight with the coffee table or vacuum? Seriously tho, walking is such a great thing for your mind and body especially that first year. I hope the ankle isn't too bad and you can still take care of yourself that way.
I cant walk at all
I had to crawl to go and get the broom handle so I can hop around my flat.
I really hate myself right now.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
I cant walk at all
I had to crawl to go and get the broom handle so I can hop around my flat.
I really hate myself right now.
It might not last long. I'm 52 and have had my ankle go out multiple times by rolling it. Luckily it's usually walkable by the end of the day or the next day.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All is well overforty. Learning to hit the curve ball is one of the best things about sobriety. Challenges that come our way can be viewed for what they really are and not loom so large and masquerade as reasons to drink. Get your foot looked at and get it fixed and then enjoy some rest and healing time. Get a pair of crutches and that's the full extent of that problem. The universe is as it should be.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou to everyone for replying
I'm really emotional about everything at the moment due to losing my job and the financial worry and just being so broken emotionally and now I'm physically broken.
I just don't need it.
I'm grateful to SR - otherwise I would have been drowning my sorrows by now ( for the pain - yeah right! )
What upsets me the most is that exercise is what keeps me sane.
going through my first week of no alcohol- along with not having a job to go to and being trapped alone in my house with no way to escape or switch off is dangerous.
I keep bursting into tears - I feel mental.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh hun, that is the last thing you need on top of everything else.....just try and be kind to yourself, especially if you are in pain. Just sit for a while and try to calm down.Have a cup of tea and a bit of chocolate. You made a great decision to stay sober but you need to look after yourself and your emotions.

Fingers crossed your ankle is okay in a little while and you'll be out walking again.

Great job coming here and posting instead of drinking xxx
Old 07-19-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your ankle feels better soon. Have you iced it? If it's a sprain, it could start feeling better in a few days. If you think it might be worse than that, you could go to an ER and get checked out.

The thing is, life happens. And, I'm glad you're staying sober through this because it will help you next time something happens.

Feel better soon.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You have to use the time to think about and develop other ways to stay sane in addition to exercise. Exercise is a big one for me too, but it cannot be the only thing. Otherwise when you cannot exercise, what does your mind go right to? Drinking. If you can still limp on outdoors, just being outside - albeit not able to hike or run right now - has tremendous benefits on mental health. Start your list and add to it. 1. Exercise 2. Being Outdoors. What's next? My list includes reading, online meetings with my support group, writing letters old school with pen and paper, cooking, board games with my kids. Hang in there overforty. You can still exercise too. Get some light weights or rubber exercise bands and work on those gunz!!!
Old 07-19-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Think how high your head will be held when telling friends. Fell whilst sober!

Well done on staying sober.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone I appreciate it x
I'm laying on the sofa with my leg elevated and trying to ignore the pain.
I will see how it is in a couple of days and if it's still bad I'll get it checked out.
At least I can't go out and buy alcohol
Old 07-19-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That's a lot on your plate. Since drinking isn't an option I'll give you some things that helped me. I can't run again without injuring myself. I talked to my doctor and he said weight lifting would give me the same endorphins. I tried it and it didn't work but it might help you to ice your ankle and do a few curls with a soup can. Yoga and breathing exercises were what ended up helping. You can do Yoga injured just by modifying it. Lots of people recommend meditation. Mostly I just had to come here and vent tho. Any way you can find to calm or release all that anxious energy because there's lots of it at first.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had a relapse when I woke up a few months ago with terrible neck pain. Not sure why. Anyway huge mistake. Take ibuprofen and fight through it. You’ll be glad you did in a couple weeks. Resetting starts the problem all over again.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know that feeling and frustration. I felt handicapped by being sober at first. Take it easy on yourself though, confidence comes in time.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I find ice to be essential for sprains and bruises. I hope you feel better soon--it's good you're not drinking!
Old 07-19-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
Thankyou everyone I appreciate it x
I'm laying on the sofa with my leg elevated and trying to ignore the pain.
I will see how it is in a couple of days and if it's still bad I'll get it checked out.
At least I can't go out and buy alcohol
But what's the plan for when you can go out and buy alcohol? You won't be immobilized forever...but now might be a good time to think about that eventuality
Old 07-19-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm well over 40 and find I am getting more clumsy with age. My balance is off and I feel like I'm listing to the left a lot.

I'm glad you're sober and hope you stay that way.