Notices

Fell over :-(

Old 07-19-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your fall, Overforty🙁 I’ve had a few injuries since I got sober. It’s really frustrating but I try to keep in mind that I’m recovering the right way as booze will only slow down the healing process.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi overforty

I fall over a lot...so I empathise.
It could happen to anyone of us - I have been tripped up by my own feet many times before....as well as rough roads, clothes, shoes, tree roots, rocks, electrical cords, ropes and the occasional loss of balance for no particular reason )

I've realised that it's not a reflection of who I am... its just an accident and accidents happen to everyone.
Short of rolling ourselves in bubblewrap, what are we gonna do?

If your ankle is still sore today maybe getting someone to look at it is not a bad idea?

D
Old 07-19-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I fall over too and I've been sober a reasonable amount of time. Just over two years ago, I tripped while running, distracted about whether to stop at an intersection or keep going. I broke a bone in my foot doing that. Accidents happen even when sober.

I've rolled my ankle plenty of times. Usually some R-I-C-E (rest, ice, compression, elevation) for 12-24 hours sets it right.

Please go easy on yourself. It's much more important in the early days to protect your sobriety by building out the plan and finding new activities that work. The job situation is of course going to be on your mind, but it sounds like there's a huge silver lining in that too, since the nature of your work was causing you stress and exacerbating the drinking. And having time off your feet means you can start to get creative in your mind about what you might do next.

I would focus on a few simple things:

1. Recover from the injury.
2. Build out the recovery plan.
3. Start thinking about the things that you're passionate about, and mentally create some options for yourself. The mental creative process is one of our most powerful tools for literally creating our futures. Take it from me, you can't create properly when you're drinking!

ETA: Get yourself into as positive an emotional state as possible before beginning the creative process. Feeling down or depressed is going to impact your creativity and imagination.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
That's a lot on your plate. Since drinking isn't an option I'll give you some things that helped me. I can't run again without injuring myself. I talked to my doctor and he said weight lifting would give me the same endorphins. I tried it and it didn't work but it might help you to ice your ankle and do a few curls with a soup can. Yoga and breathing exercises were what ended up helping. You can do Yoga injured just by modifying it. Lots of people recommend meditation. Mostly I just had to come here and vent tho. Any way you can find to calm or release all that anxious energy because there's lots of it at first.
I'm sorry to hear your can't run anymore - I dont run I like to walk but that's not going to happen for a while
I have woken up this morning aching all over and realsed I must have fallen on my arm too.
All exercise is out.
But I will try the meditation and breathing exercises.
Thankyou x
Old 07-20-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi overforty

I fall over a lot...so I empathise.
It could happen to anyone of us - I have been tripped up by my own feet many times before....as well as rough roads, clothes, shoes, tree roots, rocks, electrical cords, ropes and the occasional loss of balance for no particular reason )

I've realised that it's not a reflection of who I am... its just an accident and accidents happen to everyone.
Short of rolling ourselves in bubblewrap, what are we gonna do?

If your ankle is still sore today maybe getting someone to look at it is not a bad idea?

D
I think I need bubble wrap
Old 07-20-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi overforty, look up excersises you can do with an injured leg/ankle. There has got to be lots of stuff. Make sure to stretch, ice, take OTC anti-inflammatory if safe. You'll heal up much faster sober.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ouch! Hope you get some rest and feel better soon.