Notices

Why drinking during a pandemic is a bad idea

Old 07-16-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why drinking during a pandemic is a bad idea

https://www.theguardian.com/alcohol-...-is-a-bad-idea

It’s probably no surprise that Australians are drinking more during the pandemic. What you may not know is that alcohol could decrease your capacity to deal with Covid-19.
The last thing you want to do right now is compromise your immune system. Research shows that is exactly what alcohol does.“The more you drink, the greater the risk, in particular to your respiratory functioning,” says Professor Steve Allsop, from the National Drug Research Institute at Curtin University.

“There’s good research that shows heavy drinkers are much more likely to get influenza and pneumonia and much more likely to experience more severe consequences. Heavy drinkers aremuch more likely to die from pneumonia than people who don’t drink.”

It’s not just heavy drinkers putting themselves at risk; research suggests binge drinking can also affect the immune system.

“We exhale alcohol through our breath, and there’s some emerging evidence that it could have a negative impact on your cilia [the fine hairs lining the cells in your airway that propel inhaled toxins and debris out of the lungs],” Professor Allsop says.

“It may affect the ability of your respiratory system to protect itself from pathogens and to expel those pathogens. You need to be aware of that.”
Old 07-16-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree .
Old 07-16-2020, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I couldn't deal with it mentally and emotionally if I were drinking. Drinking dulls my senses and hobbles my intelligence. I cannot imagine being drunk/sick to deal with this. So glad I'm sober. That's one less problem to deal with.

Thanks Dee for the timely reminder.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I noticed this after coming off a bender. Coughing badly for a day or so. Must be because alcohol depresses the system and all sorts of grunge has gathered in your lungs
Old 07-17-2020, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 07-17-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am convinced that alcohol's association with lung damage is under-researched. I simply don't have the energy I ought to. I am a long time off the cigarettes and very glad to be.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Most of us understand that alcohol is bad for our health, but I actually didn't know that it affected our immune system directly or how drinking can affect cilia in the presence of Coronavirus. Another reason to be grateful that I don't drink.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It’s always a bad idea for those of us that have issues with it.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can believe the celia thing. I've long had trouble with what I assumed was an allergic reaction to dust and pollen. Hasn't seemed as bad since I quit.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I completely agree. There is a lot of good research on how alcoholism (and also abusing other types of drugs) compromises the immune system. I was also thinking at the beginning of the pandemic that I was so thankful that my drinking is in the far past because, in case I ended up in the hospital with a severe case of COVID, maybe just coming down from one of my regular awful benders, the doctors would have had to deal with the direct physical symptoms of withdrawal as well. There is now a lot of evidence that COVID infection can interfere with the functioning of not only the respiratory system but also the heart and nervous system, and all of those can be heavily impacted in heavy drinkers. No surprise alcoholism can cause further complications.

I had a pretty mild case of COVID back in the spring, but perhaps it would not have been the same had I still been drinking. Will never know now and don't want to find out.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Dee,

I've thought about this ever since this fiasco began. I remember perusing Twitter seeing all these tweets from people being locked down, but they have their booze... Like it's a badge of honor or something. All I could think was, you dummies have absolutely no idea how badly alcohol smashes your immune system.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Half of me wanted to die when I started drinking again during the pandemic. The other half didn't want to die, it just didn't find much point in living.

I think alcohol is used as a slow form of suicide subconsciously by a lot of people.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post
Half of me wanted to die when I started drinking again during the pandemic. The other half didn't want to die, it just didn't find much point in living.

I think alcohol is used as a slow form of suicide subconsciously by a lot of people.
Inclined to agree. It's a very inefficient form for me personally however, as I seem to have a ridiculously high tolerance.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post

It definitely is.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Meanwhile I know people doing shot challenges, going bar hopping, giving other people bottles as a "game" etc. Everyone I know has been drinking....more than I actually do, which always makes me think....maybe I don't have a problem, but deep down I know I do!
Old 07-17-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Totally separate from drinking, I reckon just about everyone with the exception of front line health workers or emergency service personnel has let themselves go in one way or another in this pandemic.

I’m working from home but studying too so I’ve been sleeping very late and then having siestas. I’ve also adopted a lockdown beard which looks great (my opinion), but my reduced showering (even though I’m running 5Km most days) isn’t popular with my wife. Interestingly, I’ve developed a sore Achilles’ tendon which I reckon is from being less active, and as a result of this I’ve gained maybe 5 pounds.

These are not particularly bad pandemic behaviours, but I know full well I’d be an absolute state if I was drinking.

We need some sort of order in our lives even if it’s just waking up at a certain time. Huge credit to anyone who’s quit during these crazy times.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The last four months have been challenging, I cannot imagine having tried to deal with them if I weren’t sober. I’ve also been trying to keep an exercise routine, and thankfully have stuck to eating healthy (most of the time!)

I hope everyone is doing well. Happy Friday friends!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 07-17-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
I am convinced that alcohol's association with lung damage is under-researched. I simply don't have the energy I ought to. I am a long time off the cigarettes and very glad to be.
I did a quick Google search and found information about it impacting the lungs, because I agreed with you and there is evidence available as so. On a personal level, I absolutely know it caused me problems. Every winter/spring season, I was usually smacked down with a 3-4 week cold that always turned into bronchitis and wheezing. I had pneumonia one of those seasons. I also had penumonia once as a non drinking teen, so I'm just prone to this. However, I knew deep down that drinking was causing these colds to last LONG, MUCH longer and also turn into something much more than it should've been. So now I'm 1.5 years sober and 2 seasons of winter/spring - and I haven't gotten sick like that. I used to expect it as my annual lets get sick and bronchitis time. I'm very relieved I am not drinking through this pandemic because hands down I'd be prone to catching it and having my drinker's lungs causing it to be a bad case. If I catch it and even if I get it bad, I know that since I'm not actively drinking, I'm giving myself a better chance of treatments or less severe systems. Most importantly - I won't be wondering WHAT IF ... and being stressed out about those WHAT IFs.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's very interesting information, Dee.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Non-alcohol related post, but I am definitely the odd man out here. I have had zero issues being at home. I don't mind it one bit.

Introverts and self isolationists can do coronavirus just fine.

The few times I have gone out in public since this whole thing has made me appreciate being home even more. It's a zoo out there and I don't want any part in it. Maybe I'll try again in a few months, but I have a feeling this is going to go on much longer than that...