Notices

Drinking and mental health

Old 07-13-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Laura3 View Post
I tried many pills at many different times in my life at times not using anything else. I dont think they help me or I never got a prescription that worked. Antidepressants dont work for about half of people
This has been my experience as well. Tried different medications while sober for months and only felt worse.

There's been times too when I was drinking and I knew I was just wasting my time taking a pill because it wasn't going to work anyway because I wasn't sober.

Balanced this whole crazy circus act for years.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I don't think any of the drug circulars say, "Please take with alcohol."
No they don't, but when I was honest with them that I was drinking they still wrote me a script. So...?

I had 1 psychiatrist who flat out told me he wasn't going to try any medications until I had at the very least 3 months of sobriety. I respected that. That was refreshing and a total change from so many other doctors I have seen.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
No they don't, but when I was honest with them that I was still drinking they still wrote me a script. So...?

I had 1 psychiatrist who flat out told me he wasn't going to try any medications until I had at the very least 3 months of sobriety. I respected that. That was refreshing and a total change from so many other doctors I have seen.
I don't think all doctors really understand addiction and ALL drugs have a long list of Dos and Don'ts so they probably don't put a lot of thought into your particular little habits.

My doctor had an alcoholic son and still prescribed several drugs at the same time that all were counter-indicated with alcohol. I'm not arguing with you.

That one psychiatrist probably also made you think, but I'm guessing you already knew what you were doing was wrong. At some point we need to take responsibility for our own choices and what we put in our mouth.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I don't think all doctors really understand addiction and ALL drugs have a long list of Dos and Don'ts so they probably don't put a lot of thought into your particular little habits.

My doctor had an alcoholic son and still prescribed several drugs at the same time that all were counter-indicated with alcohol. I'm not arguing with you.

That one psychiatrist probably also made you think, but I'm guessing you already knew what you were doing was wrong. At some point we need to take responsibility for our own choices and what we put in our mouth.
See my original post in the thread, Blue. We're saying the same thing...

Edit: I'm actually kind of confused about what you're posting. It seems like you're trying to say I am at fault and I need to take responsibility for my own choices? Yes? I understand that and agree with you.

All I am saying is that doctors should not be writing prescriptions for psychotropic medications to patients who are still in active addiction. That's it.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

would reply on this, but find it hard as i have mental illness also later addiction. my mental illness didnt come after my addiction due to knowing as BPD and depression and other problems is i was child and even with father with addiction or whatever or mother with mental is i had mental problems, meaning selfhalm to other things while teen.is i am and have addiction problems due to my mental illness. so until we or ourself is when do we take responsibility? it all depends on when mentally or when u get help or depending pysicall to eveything. i have mental illness, my addiction came after and was due to father, so just putting it out there,
Old 07-13-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Laura, I have had anxiety my whole life and only lately have I realized how anxious I actually was as a child. When I don't drink my anxiety goes away and then seems to come back after a bit. The only time I have had real relief is when I don't drink and exercise consistently.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

AA and the 12 steps treat my alcoholism.

For my depression I see my doctor and use other tools, like good diet and exercise.