Notices

Health checks

Old 07-09-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health checks

Hey all
Just a wonder, I am currently four months sober now - no danger of relapsing but I wondered whether the amount that I had been drinking prior to this means I should have some liver function tests done, although I haven't got any symptoms. The reason I'm asking is because I've been watching (rather too many) alcoholic documentaries which contain lots of stories of people who have quit but still have serious liver disease - I think they may have quit because they were symptomatic, which led to diagnosis however, but it has scared me a bit.
What does everyone think?
Love Billy x
Old 07-09-2020, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you go in for regular checkups anyway, a normal blood test would alert your medical team to any liver issues.

I don't know how your NHS works, but if it's a simple thing to do and it would ease your mind, go in for blood work.

The liver is pretty resilient and now that you've stopped poisoning it - stay off scary documentaries!!
Old 07-09-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are right about the documentaries, I will turn them off!
On the NHS people tend to get invited for routine health checks at 50+, a few years off that but perhaps I will ring GP and ask what she or he thinks,
thanks for replying!
Love Billy x
Old 07-09-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Billy, you’ll make your GP’s day if you make an appointment or just call to say what you’ve written above. GPa deal with so many lifestyle-related illnesses, they’re happy to see proactive types like you who’ve made the efforts. Ask for a blood test to measure liver function and get cholesterol and blood sugar checked too.

The NHS routine blood tests aren’t frequent enough, but they are free. I get a full blood test done every year when I’m overseas, and it’s highlighted a few minor issues i need to watch.

I found it beneficial to see my GP when I was drinking. Now whenever I see her for whatever reason, she asks about my drinking even though I’m 18 months sober. It’s just one other person you’re accountable to.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure that it's against SR policy to discuss medical issues in that way, but like Bimini suggested, if you are concerned you could make an appointment for a check up that includes blood work.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Billy, right before I quit drinking I watched a ton of scary alcohol related stuff. It helped. "Intervention" was on Netflix at the time and it really was useful for my sotted brain to see those people and how deluded they were. It helped. Since I've quit drinking I stopped watching that kind of thing and have switched to sappy comedies, fluff, and earth/Nature documentaries. They have issues, too!
Old 07-09-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I lived in the UK >10 years ago and never had problems asking GPs on the NHS for comprehensive blood tests when I had a worry, drinking wasn't even an issue for me back then. I second others it is a good idea, even just for peace of mind.

And I found watching documentaries and learning about addiction very helpful. I still do a lot a few years sober, but for me it's part of my job, so it's a bit different. I would recommend it even just for personal recovery for most people, not primarily for the sake of aversion, but to know what's really happening (or could be happening) in the body and life of addicts. It clears up "mysteries" and puts things in perspective. But don't overdo it if it generates excessive anxiety - just go to the doctor and get checked out, continue with sobriety and whatever helps you to maintain it

Old 07-09-2020, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies people, much appreciated
Love Billy x
Old 07-09-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Billy, I would just do it and put my mind at ease. I would say more likely than not your liver has recovered.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's against SR policy to discuss medical issues in that way, but like Bimini suggested, if you are concerned you could make an appointment for a check up that includes blood work.
diagnosing someone or recommending specific treatments is normally not ok - but sharing your personal experience in a general way or advising someone to talk it over with a doctor is usually ok

Billy I also think you'll make your Drs day - and you'll get peace of mind into the bargain

D
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To stack the odds or prevent myself of hearing not so good news, my plan was to wait until six months in before I was checked. The virus hit so it took longer but the Dr. said there was nothing in my blood work to cause any concern and I even told them I was in recovery.

FYI - I think Bud to a stock hit when I stopped just to give you a hint on my usage.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Billymacintosh View Post
Hey all
Just a wonder, I am currently four months sober now - no danger of relapsing but I wondered whether the amount that I had been drinking prior to this means I should have some liver function tests done, although I haven't got any symptoms. The reason I'm asking is because I've been watching (rather too many) alcoholic documentaries which contain lots of stories of people who have quit but still have serious liver disease - I think they may have quit because they were symptomatic, which led to diagnosis however, but it has scared me a bit.
What does everyone think?
Love Billy x
You should get a physical that includes blood pressure check and a complete blood test.

My liver literally ached all the time and I was lucky I didn't suffer permanent damage. Also, thanks for reminding me that my achy liver is another key reason to stay sober 😬
Old 07-10-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had medical testing in the first couple months. It was a bit hard on my nerves but knowing where I am health wise has really helped with sobriety (no anxiety wondering what could be wrong).

How nice to be in a place where you can focus on health...major progress right there!