Notices

Bars and pubs reopening

Old 07-01-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bars and pubs reopening

Pubs and bars reopen in Britain this Saturday, and I've been romanticising my local pub for the last few days now; feel like I'm barely clinging on :/

This is my fifth week sober, but my life just feels boring. I've filled my time with activities to the point of exhaustion, but I still cannot scratch the itch.

I'm struggling to find an outlet to release work stress - I'm working out and meditating, but I want that feeling of sedation and release.

But I'm posting here first. That is something.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The feeling is sedation and release will soon be followed by dread, headaches, anxiety, guilt, nausea, remorse, etc. Try to remember the horrible feelings more than AV is romanticizing the first 10 minutes of drinking. Go for a walk at the time you would normally go to the pub. Drink lots of water and eat a meal.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Five weeks of sobriety is great. But, keep in mind, it's still relatively early and it may take a bit more time before you really enjoy doing different things during your days.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Resurgence!

Five weeks is awesome! I haven't read your previous posts, but I suspect that there are reasons you quit drinking. Never forget them!

AA meetings are a good way to relieve stress. Many meetings are on-line since COVID. Here is a listing for just one group near Seattle: (Pacific Time Zone, GMT -7h)

https://eastsideaa.org/meetings/?tsml-type=ONL
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

Where I live bars and pubs opened a few weeks ago. Now they are being closed again due to a spike in covid-19 cases. Seems to be a metaphor for alcoholism to me. Neither one went magically away, so much for romanticizing. Recovery may not always be easy and pleasant, it takes work; but it is worth it in the long run.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This may help:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7467802 (Having a stress less, sober, weekend - Weekenders 26-29 June 2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I just posted about the pubs & bars reopening in the Weekenders thread.

Resurgence - congratulations on 5 weeks, thats excellent. I know how it feels at 5 weeks but trust me, it will not always feel like that. The urge to drink and get a (illusory) release from life's pressure faded in the second month for means only very occasionally does it come back and never for long. A walk might help shake some of it off. Stick with it and you won't be sorry.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm coming up on 90 days and rarely get that feeling now, and it's pretty mild when I do. Everyone is different, but for me I find I almost always am hungry when it happens. I'm not switching to a food addiction, I've actually lost about 14 pounds so far. But, having a really good healthy meal, staying very hydrated and taking a nap when I feel stressed help me so much. Coming here helps a lot, too. It helps remind me why I am doing this. I hope you feel better really fast, and don't let the siren call of the AV pull you back out.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
Pubs and bars reopen in Britain this Saturday.
First off, well done on 5 weeks. There must’ve been a lot of positives from that?

I’m extremely p***ed off that my gym has done a whole stack of work to reduce the risk of Covid-19, but that’ll remain closed whilst boring old pubs will open without anywhere near the same level of precautions. But that’s my rant.

Back to you, Res, don’t you think life has a whole load more to offer without alcohol? I’m anti alcohol, and if anyone (in good health) chooses to drink moderately, that’s fine. But I guess anyone reading this forum has/had a drink problem so best steer clear. My life’s changed beyond all expectations since I quit. So let’s turn this question around. What’s so good about the pub?

(I’m not being argumentative, just curious)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would stay away from the pub on Saturday even if drinking. Think it is madness to open on a Saturday, so many people will be there going wild and crazy, not social distancing, drunken fighting, violence, abuse, spreading the virus. Don't think you will be msissing much staying away and there is definitely nothing romantic about it imo Many congrats on 5 weeks
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Where I live bars and pubs opened a few weeks ago. Now they are being closed again due to a spike in covid-19 cases. Seems to be a metaphor for alcoholism to me. Neither one went magically away, so much for romanticizing. Recovery may not always be easy and pleasant, it takes work; but it is worth it in the long run.
This. I expect we will be in the same position in the UK in a couple of weeks - a huge spike in cases after pubs open this weekend.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I has been really helping me to practice gratitude; turning some of those more negative thoughts and feelings into creating a more positive energy. Try and be really specific about what you are grateful for and write it down, even if it's all the things you aren't experiencing ie, hangovers, missing work, shame, feeling bloated and unhealthy.

You will get through these thoughts by actively challenging them, because in the end, they are simply not true. You stopped drinking for loads of legitimate reasons. You can do it!

Plus, I totally agreed about the pubs issue.....I am dreading when they open up in Scotland, everyone is going to go berserk and the whole thing is going to hell again. It's just madness to me.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Good of you to post first.

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
This is my fifth week sober, but my life just feels boring. I've filled my time with activities to the point of exhaustion, but I still cannot scratch the itch.
Boredom is a state of mind. Not a condition of sobriety. As long as boredom is a "trigger" to drink, your addiction is going to keep you bored.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The fact that you are posting here first shows you want to be saved from yourself, well actually from your AV. Remember any thoughts of drinking are your addiction talking. Feeling bored, stressed or whatever are excuses for the AV to pounce. Ignore ignore ignore!

Do you really want another day 1? I don't think so.

Ben and Jerry's is good.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stay away from the pubs if you want to stay sober. There is a wonderful life available as a recovered alcoholic where alcohol plays no part in it.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Firstly well done on 5 weeks and for posting here before you turned your thoughts into actions. I've had a few romantisized moments with my favourite tipple recently of late but (and I think its already been said pretty much) I've just been envisioning the end game and how I never ever, not once woke up after drinking and thought "well that was worth it" - at least not in the last 10 years anyhow. It's early on and I would just treat the bars and pubs reopening as something which doesn't apply to you, at least not at this point. You're doing great and remember also, thoughts are just thoughts, they don't necessarily become actions and its really positive that you've acknowledged them as something that could lead you down the wrong path.
Keep up the good work
Love Billy x
Old 07-01-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Pubs aren't going to be anything like they were, in the uk, for a long while anyway. Having to keep a metre from everyone kind of defeats the point in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used to romanticise about a white wine in the sun at the beach, until my bother had to drag me from surf. Drowning.

Better to surf the urges, which are non existent for me now. I want to be sober more than I want to drink. It will kill me.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great work on your 5 weeks. Complacency is my main issue. Keep at it. Sounds like you're doing the right things 👍
Old 07-01-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi Resurgence
Totally get where you are coming from. I have been pretty bored and unfulfilled myself. Not a whole lot of excitement in my sober life. Which is actually what I wanted! I forget that at times.

I would stay away from the pub though. Too much to lose, pretty much nothing to gain.