Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Having a stress less, sober, weekend - Weekenders 26-29 June 2020

Notices

Having a stress less, sober, weekend - Weekenders 26-29 June 2020

Old 06-28-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

starlings and a few blue ****.
I'm wondering what on earth could offend the censor software. Of course I can't even figure out blue _ _ _ _. (???)

Migraines. Thousands of dollars spent, lots of missed work and opportunity. Inability to be in relationships. I used to get migraines more than half the days in a month. So much medication. I was on six different daily meds plus varying triptans over the years. Menopause cured it. Sorry, PJ, I know that's no consolation but I can certainly relate to the disabling effect chronic pain has on life. Many

Sinday.

That was a typo but I'm leaving it! Sunday. My favorite day, but I've been really restless this week. I need to go to the store and even that is causing angst. I think I need a five hour walk in Epping Forest. Kaily, what time?
Old 06-28-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Oh, I would love to go on that walk. Such a beautiful place and such lovely company as well
Old 06-28-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Blue Jays?
Old 06-28-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ha ha I am sure someone will guess it.

I would love some company. Nothing like walking and talking, so relaxing, easy and unconfrontational.

Come walk with me.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Blue Jays?
well, she is in the UK, it must be some other bird since "Jays" seems to have made it past the censor.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey, Kaily, have you seen any of "The Crappy Childhood Fairy" videos on Youtube? I like her. CPTSD and stuff.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Ah! Must be one of these little guys:

We don't have them here. Blue T!ts.
What a beautiful bird.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yes little beauties aren't they.

No I haven't Bim. I will be interested to have look but not now. Gotta be in the right mood for that kind of stuff, I get unsettled easily and today I am ok. Thank you .
Old 06-28-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

So good to hear that your migraines have cleared, PJ. I don’t get them too often but when I do I am sorry that you suffer from them. Hope that you get to enjoy a wonderful walk.

Greetings and love to all.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

The work has been busy, and other life stuff demands some attention too.

On Friday I finished my 8-week fitness challenge. In terms of nutrition the last week was close to the meal plan fitness athletes do while preparing for a competition, so it was a bit...challenging, but not that bad as I had expected though.

On Saturday I chilled with an enormous bowl of cherries and strawberries, banana and cononut milk.

But happy to be back to regular nutrition again - my body loves it, and today I craved my broccoli and chicken breast.

Tomorrow another workout plan begins - I like the discipline and mindset it provides, kind of puts me in the groove where my brain is more focused and efficient.

Since I touched upon the nutrition.

Kaily, and others who are wrestling with out-of control food habits.

From my experience:
- it's nearly impossible to get nutrition on more or less reasonable track while regulalry having foods loaded with added sugar. I refused to face this fact for a long time because I didn't like it. "If the fact doesn't fit in my theory, so much the worse for the fact". I won't bore you with the blood sugar spikes and insulin sensitivity - there's a lot of this stuff online. But eating ice-cream or cookies you are not feeding yourself, you are feeding your hunger. Dont' shoot the messenger.
- For me protein works wonders in terms of moderating satiety. Introduce more protein throughout the day, and sugary cravings will have less success at getting to you.
- Even though using food to pacify alcohol cravings may serve as a crutch in early sobriety when I had to make a choice in favor of a lesser evil, it still remains a crutch and the moment came when I had to learn to walk on my own. Besides, since food addiction shares the same circuits with other ones, I didn't see the point why should I put efforts in nurturing them and keeping them alive.

Just some input.

Have a great day, weekenders!
Old 06-28-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

^^Co-sign as former food addiction sufferer.

I'm glad you got to have some fruit, though! I have fruit every day. Seems decadent after chicken and broccoli. I get excited about a good slice of cheese.

I'm finding food issues easier in lockdown. No temptations in the house and I won't go out and hit the stores. Plus I'm being so careful about my mental health and I know sugar and too much wheat will wreck that.

Nice to "see" you, Blue sister.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:01 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks Midnight. I did manage to eat well for about 6 months, mainly fish, veg and berries then had a relapse about 3 months ago. I allowed a few treats and off I went again. It scares me that it is so similar to alcohol in the thought processes and could easily lead me back to it.

You must feel very proud to complete that 8 week fitness challenge. Great self discipline, something I seem to be lacking.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well done, MidnightBlue; that was one very tough challenge.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:31 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

happy Sunday evening all. I liked your Epping Forest picture Kaily, so I was inspired to take some pictures on my walk today:

hope everyone is doing well
Old 06-28-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Lovely pics Andy. I was trying to see if I could guess where you took them but have no idea. Looks nice though.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Beautiful pics Andy, it looks so tranquil there.

MB I agree about the protein versus the sugar. It is hard to stick to, but when I have done in the past, I have felt a lot better. I need to get back to reducing sugar and increasing the protein in my diet again. This is challenging when 2 people in the household keep bringing home sugary treats, but I need to figure a way around it. I know that once I get a couple of weeks under my belt it’s easier to stay strong. Like with alcohol. So many similarities between sugar and alcohol, addiction wise. I need to boot the sugar out, just like the alcohol.

Anyway, a busy Monday ahead so I’d better dash
Old 06-28-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Mr

Good evening friends,

It's very rare I am out on a Sunday night. It's very rare I'm out any night. Anyways I'm out tonight at our neighbors. Very nice evening. There are a few blokes on scotch my old poison. Quite a few people here. It's a good atmosphere. Everyone is celebrating the local election result.

Hope you are all well. Courage to anyone struggling.

V.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Vinny, glad you enjoyed your evening out. They’re few and far between for me nowadays, too.

Kaily, I wonder if you’d heard the news other day of some people drinking hand sanitizer and killing them, and dropped it in your dream subconsciously.

Andy, gorgeous pictures. Is that Epping Forest too? That stream looks a bit choppy but inviting too.

Midnight, I’m pleased you completed your 8 week fitness challenge. And now ready for the next one!

PJ, I’m glad the migraines passed

The weather is miserable this morning, but hopefully it will keep the pollen count down.

Never fails to please me, waking up hangover free. How did I put myself through that for many years!

Old 06-28-2020, 11:34 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Monday

Good to see you MidnightBlue and congratulations on your 8 week diet. I restrict my sugary treats to Friday and Saturday so that I have somethingto look forward to.

Well done on safely getting throughyour night out VMan. Scotch was my poison of choice too.

Lovely pics Andy, I'll join in with everyone else in guessing where it is and go for the Surrey Hills.

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Kaily, I wonder if you’d heard the news other day of some people drinking hand sanitizer and killing them, and dropped it in your dream subconsciously.
Good grief!

OK Monday let's do this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200629_071701-432x556.jpg (83.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:32 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Mags I hadn't heard about the people drinking the hand sanitiser and dying. How awful. It does smell like pure vodka though.

Sao I agree Surrey Hills, its definitely not Bournemouth beach anyway ! I wish I could restrict treats to weekends only but can't. All or nothing.

Willow must be difficult when others bring home the goodies. Guess I don't have that problem but then I don't have to share with anyone either.

Bad restless sleep again last night. I swear I wake up more tired than when I went to bed. My anxiety dreams are exhausting.