Notices

Can’t sleep.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can’t sleep.

Well here I am shaking and sweating and laying here wide awake. This sucks. I want to write it down so I remember this feeling of misery. I don’t want to feel this way again, it’s not worth it! I want to have a clear head and sleep through the night. I want to enjoy my kids and my husband without forgetting things I have said or done. I want to be free of the guilt of waking up in the morning reflecting on my mistakes from the day before. I want to have my clear skin and healthy hair back. I want to lose the baby weight. I want to be free of the anxiety!
Old 06-19-2020, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ride through it. Easier said then done but you can do it.
Drink plenty of fluids and don't dwell on the lack of sleep. Just accept it sucks but will improve.
My sleep has improved little by little and I'm ok with that because I cause it and I'm sober.
I'll accept stuff for what it is right because being sober is my most important goal and my life is sooooo much better now.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started to sleep better wthin the first week and it was proper deep sleep. You will too, you just have to get through the first few nights. Even if you've had little sleep you won't have a hangover Many congrats on getting through day 1.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After the detox symptoms abate PB, your sleep still might be troubled. But try to enjoy the quiet time and learn to relax even if you are awake at 3 a.m. I think holding still and calming your mind, even if you are not fully asleep, provides excellent restorative benefits. And no matter how little you sleep, you will not feel like death warmed-over in the morning. You'll just be tired. Not tired and sick and ready to die. Keep doing this PB.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly20 View Post
Well here I am shaking and sweating and laying here wide awake. This sucks. I want to write it down so I remember this feeling of misery. I don’t want to feel this way again, it’s not worth it! I want to have a clear head and sleep through the night. I want to enjoy my kids and my husband without forgetting things I have said or done. I want to be free of the guilt of waking up in the morning reflecting on my mistakes from the day before. I want to have my clear skin and healthy hair back. I want to lose the baby weight. I want to be free of the anxiety!
Worthy goals. What are you willing to do to obtain them? Or rather, why aren't you doing everything in your power to achieve sobriety?
Old 06-19-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The horrible disrupted sleep is a killer but it will pass Pink, and you will feel better hun. You are doing so well...

Try this and see if it helps. Its a sleep meditation I have used and it just calms everything down. Baths are great to and deep breathing.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...fulpeace+sleep

xxxx
Old 06-19-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I suffered through trying various otc teas and meditation aids on youtube.

now I sleep about 3 to 6 hours at a time, wake up for 2, then sleep for another 2 to 4 hours.

I drank off and on for about 40 years, so I may never routinely sleep 7 to 8 hours straight.

Suffering and time. My suffering memories are burned into my brain.

I hope they never go away so I have them to prevent ever relapsing.

I pray that I am hardened by the fires of suffering like steel.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, you can have those things that you want, Pinkbutterfly. Stay with sobriety and focus on the goals and you'll get there.

I've tried some Youtube sleep meditation type videos and that's something that might help you through some of these sleepless nights.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I would wake up (or not be able to go to sleep) in early sobriety I would get out of bed. No sense laying there torturing myself with past and future worries, and that's where my head would take me in the dark in early days.

I would get up and make some Sleepy Time tea or hot cocoa and a piece of toast, log in here and read while I had my snack and I was always able to go back to sleep in about 30-45 minutes. Worked every time. Sometimes it's just blood sugar. As a recovering alcoholic I had a lot of blood sugar problems in early sobriety, no doubt made worse by my insistence on eating too many sweets in general.

Last night I slept 10 hours, just like that. It gets better fairly quickly.

Don't keep re-setting the misery clock. Make this the last time.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Free.

Hang in there PB20. Much better as the days go by.

“ ....then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen -- Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair.....”. —- 12&12.

This place you’re in is so profoundly difficult for us that it is immortalized in text. None us is want to go back there....

By day 4, I always would feel 600% better. Then starts self care and nutrients.

Stay close PB!

Post often. Go team!

Old 06-19-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly20 View Post
I feel ya, Pink. I haven't slept the past two nights and I have been violently ill today. I just can't do this anymore.

Just trying to keep sips of ice water down is proving to be very difficult.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Free.

Puck luck: try room temp water.

Sounds bad, but body will receive it easier.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
Puck luck: try room temp water.

Sounds bad, but body will receive it easier.
Thank you TC, I will try that.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pink, I have found meditation apps have made all the difference no matter where I am at in my quit. I use "Calm"
Old 06-19-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And you will pink!

Max I was waiting for this post from you😄
Old 06-19-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

PinkButterfly, I understand your anxiety and lack of sleep. I had it too. I knew the drink would stop it temporarily, but I’d done that in the past and I had promised myself this time I wouldn’t drink. It’s not easy to begin with, as you know, but it gets better and I know you want this sobriety. xx
Old 06-20-2020, 12:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
I feel ya, Pink. I haven't slept the past two nights and I have been violently ill today. I just can't do this anymore.

Just trying to keep sips of ice water down is proving to be very difficult.
im sorry you’re having such a time Puck...same here. I am wide awake again, heart racing, sweaty, anxious...just telling myself you can go one more hour! We can do this.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
PinkButterfly, I understand your anxiety and lack of sleep. I had it too. I knew the drink would stop it temporarily, but I’d done that in the past and I had promised myself this time I wouldn’t drink. It’s not easy to begin with, as you know, but it gets better and I know you want this sobriety. xx
that’s been so hard is knowing that the drink would calm it all down temporarily. Mentally I know for a fact it will make it harder on the other side and yet sometimes I still justify it and give in! The mind is so powerful to bend you to it will if you aren’t careful! Still over here fighting!
Old 06-20-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
When I would wake up (or not be able to go to sleep) in early sobriety I would get out of bed. No sense laying there torturing myself with past and future worries, and that's where my head would take me in the dark in early days.

I would get up and make some Sleepy Time tea or hot cocoa and a piece of toast, log in here and read while I had my snack and I was always able to go back to sleep in about 30-45 minutes. Worked every time. Sometimes it's just blood sugar. As a recovering alcoholic I had a lot of blood sugar problems in early sobriety, no doubt made worse by my insistence on eating too many sweets in general.

Last night I slept 10 hours, just like that. It gets better fairly quickly.

Don't keep re-setting the misery clock. Make this the last time.
love this idea and am up with some water and hot tea and a snack! Catching up on the forums and fighting for each fresh hour!
Old 06-20-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is so hard! My head is fuzzy, I’m so shaky! I can hardly focus on anything. It’s so hard when I feel this way to fight the urge for just one drink!!