Notices

Why do we do this again? Please remind me.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My favorite thing about being sober is
1. Remembering what I do, at all times
2. Nhangover
3. Helping others.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well, being sober means a high degree of likelihood that I won't be arrested nor end up in the ER. Such things have happened so many times that I have lost count. I was sifting through a drawer the other day and I found some paperwork from a hospital. It was from a few years ago but I couldn't specifically remember the occasion because I can't distinguish it from the other 10 plus times I've been. I may be closer to 15 ER trips. All alcohol related.....
Old 06-05-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

To wake up and remember the night. No fear. No guilt.

To be available 24/7 to my kids.

To know my liver isn't going to fail because of my decision to drink.

To lose the beer pouch.

To have better, younger looking skin.

To have increase my self worth.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My favourite things so far are:
1- better sleep. Slowly but surely, it is improving. I am able to nod off without waking up constantly and being unable to get back to sleep. Or the waking up with the sweats from drinking too much
2- waking up fresh in the morning able to start the day. There's no chance I could get up at 6am or before and ready to get the dog walked and fed. For me this morning routine is one of the best times of the day for me
3- my dishes get done and don't sit for days, I make an effort to cook more and eating a variety of fruit&veg....not living off takeaways and junk
4- my mood has improved too. When drinking my mental health would dive. I'd feel angry, alone and bitter. I'm not like that when I'm sober, it's almost like Dr Jeykll and Mr Hyde.... When I'm sober, I can handle stress at work better and I'm not coming in thinking of how bad I feel.from a hangover, when Im sober, I am very focused and more efficient at work.

Tbh, I needed to write this down too as for some strange reason today I keep thinking of going and buying wine. Friday night, it'd be relaxing,etc....but then I realise..I can't just have one or two glasses. It's all or nothing and I want to remain sober more than I want to be drunk. I want to hit that 3 week mark on Sunday and keep going.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Keep going Zombie....I am on 3 weeks at the weekend too! lets get another sober weekend behind us
Old 06-05-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Keep going Zombie....I am on 3 weeks at the weekend too! lets get another sober weekend behind us
Thanks Gabe! Took the dog out for another walk,fresh air helped clear my mind. I thought about how much I get done sober,the walking and generally feeling good. No booze for me!
Old 06-05-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

These are awesome!! Thank you everyone 🙏 I’m feeling balanced and ready for a sober night and weekend!
One of my favorite things about being sober is sober weekends. I actually can do stuff. Paint, cook, read, watch a movie and remember it, and actually be rested and ready for the work week by Monday. So much better than a 2 day binge. 💗
Old 06-05-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
I keep thinking of going and buying wine. Friday night, it'd be relaxing,etc....but then I realise..I can't just have one or two glasses. It's all or nothing and I want to remain sober more than I want to be drunk. I want to hit that 3 week mark on Sunday and keep going.
This’ll sound rude and harsh which isn’t my intention, but whilst you think that way, you’ll end up buying that wine tonight, next Friday or the next. No wine ever is what you need to think. I know full well it’s just what your body and mind think you need tonight, but with the never again mindset, it gets easier after 5 weeks and so on. Well done on three weeks 👍
Old 06-05-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This has been a great thread, thanks everyone. I agree with all the above. Also, when I drink, I don't have time for anything else. I'm too sick during the day and too drunk during the night. I take care of myself, my family and my dogs and cat. I love not being sick. I get the chance to actually live my life, and not just survive day to day.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

For me the best part is a clear conscience and a calm, peaceful, quiet mind.

I can't say it any better than kk did in this post:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7455128 ( All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One of my favorite things about being sober is having no regrets and not having to say I'm sorry to anyone (and myself) for foolishness.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

In sobriety, I have self-respect. Everything emanates from that.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sadly I fell off the wagon on Tuesday after almost three weeks of being sober. I drank Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and got up at 4am this morning and started to drink again. Thankfully I saw sense and after a couple of cans of lager I poured the rest away. That means though that my first day of sobriety is going to be tomorrow, Sunday 7 June. I'm not even sure why I drank. On Tuesday morning I didn't even want a drink. By 1pm I was craving the stuff and by 3.30pm I was drinking. And of course once I started I couldn't stop. I went to bed last night and made the mistake of not pouring down the sink what I had left so when I woke up in the early hours of this morning I just carried on where I left off. At least I stopped. There's a 24 hour garage less than a 10 minute walk away and it would have been so easy to finish what I had left and go and buy some more. Thankfully I didn't and surprisingly I don't feel ill, just tired. It's now 6.25pm so in a few hours I'm going back to bed though whether I'll sleep or not is open to question. I've spent most of today going to bed, dozing over and getting back up.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I never once predicted where it would take me. One drink always led to 10, no matter how determined I was to have one or two.
Once the first drink was in my system there was no telling how the day would end, or how long the binge would last. I often became reckless & put myself in danger - causing mistrust & fear among those who loved me. Can't go back out there - it'll be the end of me.

MissOverIt - Thank you for this thread. I'm glad you wanted to talk about what was going on with you.
I hope your're having a happy Saturday.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking because it was impacting my health--blood test results showed elevated ALT and ferritin. If I did not stop drinking I'd be facing serious consequences. Hopefully, my end-of-July blood tests will show improvement.

As side benefits, I'm sleeping better, have fewer headaches, and I've actually dropped a few pounds.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

I agree with LilyLady about the health issues... I started taking this sobriety thing more seriously when I developed alcoholic neuropathy in my feet last year when I was really going at it (daily handles of vodka). It got to the point where I was having trouble walking and the stabbing pains kept me up all night. Thankfully it went away when I stopped drinking like that, but it was awful.

A few posts in this thread reminded me of something. Not ONCE in my adult life can I ever remember getting into trouble sober. Every single time something very bad happened or a messed up situation I ended up in I was loaded. Under the influence.

This includes friendships lost, relationships burned to the ground, physical alterations, arrests, quitting jobs, losing jobs... Alcohol was always the common denominator.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

One of my favorite parts of being sober is waking up with a clear head and being able to connect with my higher power through a deep meditation. Also to get out and be present with the natural beauty of Oregon on a hike.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Well, being sober means a high degree of likelihood that I won't be arrested nor end up in the ER. Such things have happened so many times that I have lost count. I was sifting through a drawer the other day and I found some paperwork from a hospital. It was from a few years ago but I couldn't specifically remember the occasion because I can't distinguish it from the other 10 plus times I've been. I may be closer to 15 ER trips. All alcohol related.....
I could have written this myself.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

When I drank, I used alcohol to run from fixable problems. And as I ran, I cried "Wolf!' at every stop all the way to the bottom.
The real me has a deep disrespect for both of those things - lack of conviction, and insincerity.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I have loved this thread