Notices

Why do we do this again? Please remind me.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do we do this again? Please remind me.

Hi SR family,
It’s been a hard week and the cravings are starting to hit. I’m sure a lot of us are hurting and stressed right now. Tomorrow is Friday and I don’t want to cave when the weekend excuses start. I’m reaching out and will stick close to SR and text some sober Recovery Dharma friends. If you have a minute, please share one of your favorite things about being sober. I need some inspiration fuel 💗🤗 Thank you!!🤗💗
Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My favourite thing about being sober right now is being available 24/7
I want to be able to react to things, situations and the needs of my loved ones and not have to cry off or wait until sober up.

D
Old 06-04-2020, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Such a good point. I don’t want to not be available for people because I’m a being a drunk escape artist. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why do I stay sober, because I’ll die a horrible death if I don’t. My drinking has become so self destructive that I feel like my life is i. Jeopardy every time I pick up. I can not drink one or for one day or even for one week. I hurt others and I hurt myself. It is unsustainable and terrifying. I stay sober because my happiness and more importantly, my life depends on it.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Why do I stay sober, because I’ll die a horrible death if I don’t. My drinking has become so self destructive that I feel like my life is i. Jeopardy every time I pick up. I can not drink one or for one day or even for one week. I hurt others and I hurt myself. It is unsustainable and terrifying. I stay sober because my happiness and more importantly, my life depends on it.
This. x1,000,000
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

I’m sober because it was ruining my life.

I’ve found there is so much life without the booze. I love not living my life around when ‘I can have my next drink’.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
I’m sober because it was ruining my life.

I’ve found there is so much life without the booze. I love not living my life around when ‘I can have my next drink’.
I'm actually ready to have a life for once in my life.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of the biggest reasons I got sober was to take better care of my dogs and cats. Now that I'm sober, they get fed on time, and my dog gets lots of walks.

I am so much better taking care of them when I'm sober and feeling good.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gone In

I felt this one. At some point I stopped being afraid.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All of the above of what others have said, but one of my favorite things about being sober is being in control of my actions. I know that my actions and reactions are thoughtful, deliberate, and made with a clear head, and I have control over what I say and do. It’s a really good feeling to know exactly what I’ve done and I have no reason to be ashamed of my actions due to being drunk or blacking out.

obviously I still act out of emotion and stuff like that, but at least it’s in a way that I can remember and reflect on later.

hang in there. It’s been really stressful lately for everyone I think, and it may seem easy to just try and numb it all. All it does is make everything worse. Keep posting and make this weekend a sober one.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Life is easier for me without it. Oh, I have an excuses to eat Oreos*.

*My goto if a craving hits. lol
Old 06-04-2020, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Free.

I stay sober because I’m worth it.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Why do I stay sober, because I’ll die a horrible death if I don’t. .
“But it’ll never happen to me.”

“I feel fine. I work hard so I deserve a drink.”

”My dad drank every day and lived to 96.”

and other excuses. I already had a fatty liver so that was the first stage of liver disease. I mentioned in another thread a friend who’d recently been diagnosed with cirrhosis. His belly swells up like he’s pregnant, and the fluid gets drained every couple of weeks. He’s yellow, can’t walk properly and has had disability aids installed so he can move about the house. His wife’s become his carer. And all this because he wanted to drink. He’s only in his 50s, and I can’t see a happy end to this at all. Would he turn the clock back if he could? Oh yes.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Waking up hangover free, guilt and shame free, not wanting to kill myself or hide under the duvet all day, not dreading looking at my phone or social media to see what damage I caused.. never gets old and I never take it for granted.

So many reasons but as I have just woken up like this that's what I'll go with.

❤🙏❤
Old 06-05-2020, 12:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread....I really needed to read this today.

I'm in the early days again and I guess for me it's the quality of things; sleep, food, coffee without killing my stomach. Not avoiding people and the phone all the time. Just feeling better about who I am...the list goes on!
Old 06-05-2020, 02:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To stop hurting myself and the people close to me.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My favorite thing about being a sober man is looking in mirror and seeing the real me. I can apply all things truly and with all my God given might.

I remember looking into the mirror and seeing a greasy, red eyed, bloated, craving, actively addicted, chemically altered deadman walking.

Love and Thanks.

I have unlearned drinking.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DITTO, me too.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Because life as an untreated alcoholic who is drinking is utterly miserable.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's appreciating the small things in life every day, MissOverit. You can get through this.