Notices

Checking in

Old 04-21-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hey sober friends,

I wanted to check in. I am 7 months and 18 days sober. I have a sponsor and the home group. I'm chronically ungrateful but I know I just need to read through my threads here to see what I've been through. it took a long time of coming in and out and posting on here and leaving and coming back. I can't say how grateful I am for this group. I bet there's a lot of folks trying to get sober during this really challenging moment. if you're reading this I want to tell you to just keep coming back here. keep posting. keep sharing. this place has so much love and forgiveness even when I didn't have it for myself. The best part is that I'm not alone. I have sober community even online and that is the most precious thing.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Press, that's great to hear of your time! And just identifying the gratitude thing and then coming here is a big thing. Keep it up, it gets better
Old 04-21-2020, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you Press - and awesome to hear you're doing well.

D
Old 04-21-2020, 01:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Double post.

D
Old 04-21-2020, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time and thanks for your post 🙏
Old 04-21-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wonderful news press. Knew you could do it
Old 04-21-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Press I'm so glad to see you getting some real traction. Congratulations!!
Old 04-21-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on your sober time, Press. Happy to hear it!

I was chronically ungrateful for a while, too. I cringed every time someone at a meeting chirped that they were a "grateful alcoholic." It really rubbed me the wrong way, and I just didn't understand. How can you possibly be GRATEFUL to never be able to drink, and to have made such a mess of your life?? I just thought it was some AA saying that people just echoed when they heard it from someone else. Like any of the other AA adages. As time went by, I started to at least understand it. Then I started to feel it.

I feel it now, because I have learned a whole new way to conduct my life. I don't mean just stuff like not hanging out with toxic people or wasting time drinking and recovering from drinking. That's all good, but what I mean is something deeper. It's the whole "letting go of things I can't control." Just being able to do that has changed me so much, for the better. And I would not have worked on that without AA and those sayings and that Serenity Prayer and that Big Book, outpatient treatment, and SR. And of course, none of that would have been in my life if I were not an alcoholic. So, I can be grateful. But it took a while for me to get there.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Congratulations on your sober time, Press. Happy to hear it!

I was chronically ungrateful for a while, too. I cringed every time someone at a meeting chirped that they were a "grateful alcoholic." It really rubbed me the wrong way, and I just didn't understand. How can you possibly be GRATEFUL to never be able to drink, and to have made such a mess of your life?? I just thought it was some AA saying that people just echoed when they heard it from someone else. Like any of the other AA adages. As time went by, I started to at least understand it. Then I started to feel it.

I feel it now, because I have learned a whole new way to conduct my life. I don't mean just stuff like not hanging out with toxic people or wasting time drinking and recovering from drinking. That's all good, but what I mean is something deeper. It's the whole "letting go of things I can't control." Just being able to do that has changed me so much, for the better. And I would not have worked on that without AA and those sayings and that Serenity Prayer and that Big Book, outpatient treatment, and SR. And of course, none of that would have been in my life if I were not an alcoholic. So, I can be grateful. But it took a while for me to get there.
love this post 🙏
Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Press, what a great post, and I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Seven and a half months is fantastic Press, congratulations! I don't think you need forgiveness, we have all been there ourselves.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your increasing sober time! I knew you could do it!