Notices

In a bad place, help me understand please

Old 03-21-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi there! This is my field, so here's my two cents for what it's worth. One of the challenges might be this: I'm a 50,000 foot guy who likes to solve problems and do process improvement. I've interviewed many people who are overqualified for the jobs they are applying for. Their mentality is that if they can work in the c-suite, or manage thousands of people and billions of dollars, then they can obviously do (insert lower level job here). It's not something that's always stated by the candidate, but it definitely comes across, and the hiring team may think of that person as "hard to manage." You hire them to do X job, which is a critical function, but the perception is that they will 1) try to fix your processes instead - read, criticize your way of doing business and drive your manager nuts; or 2) leave as soon as you find another opportunity that fits your true skill set. The last concern someone might have is that there must be something "wrong" since you are so obviously overqualified for the jobs you're applying for.

My advice would be to tap into whatever network you have, and immediately start a volunteer gig. While you're doing that, how is your LinkedIn profile? That is what most employers are using. Use it to reach out for volunteer consulting, or wherever you can be useful. And lastly, cultivate as much humility and curiosity as you can possibly muster.

I hope this helps, and feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't know what skills you have in addition to the degree but, instead of trying to rely on jobs only, are considering being self-employed and doing business on your own or with other entrepreneurs? I kinda remember your saying before that you ran a business (sorry if my memory is incorrect). Also, was there any experience in making the 6 million that you could use now?
Old 03-21-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good post PS

I have the same problem when I get overqualified applicants as well.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I haven't started the job search process yet because I realized I just wasn't ready. Then throw in breaking ribs, parents situation imploding, remodel on house and well I found lots of reasons to wait.

When I left tech I was a VP. The 10K foot level gal. And it was a great job....that took me years to get. There is no doubt that getting my hands dirty will be a huge challenge for me...and competing with milleniels (I don't even know how to spell that) for a quarter of what I was making will be I think impossible. So its an hourly job at a super market for me. They are all hiring right now because of Covid. I'll probably work stocking shelves at 1am.

Ok. Well, not ready to do that. But I also know I need two resumes. My current one reads like I was high level and that won't work. I don't need to lie about my work, just down play it a bit. I also need to pull on my resources in California. But not ready. Hell I dunno. Maybe I'll just start with a volunteer job to see what I'm actually made of now.

At least you are getting interviews. That in itself is hard.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I have not been able to get a job for awhile now. I've tried all kinds of techniques while interviewing and I just get passed over. I have college degree in the sciences and have made (and lost) over 6 million dollars in my life. I've cleaned toilets and performed audits for the federal government. And yet I can't get an entry level job. Please.. folks here, help me find employment. What am I doing wrong?
Hey Jeff - in another life I used to hire people. The best advice I can give - make it EASY for the recruiter to hire you. Be pleasant, dress nice, smile a lot. Look like somebody I'd want to work around every day. Don't give the impression you are going to be running to human resources every five minutes and giving me a headache. Also, know a LOT about the company you are interviewing with. This alone will put you ahead of a lot of people.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
nez

I have decades of experience in interviewing and hiring people. The number one quality that I always focus the most on uncovering in a candidate is attitude. The true attitude of a person always comes out in a proper interview no matter how much the candidate might try to cover it up or "fake until they make it".

I look to hire people whose attitude is a good fit with the culture of the company they are applying for because that is the best harbinger for success for all entities involved.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I couldn't find a job for a very long time, I had 9 interviews looking for an IT job where I had 8 years experience. After 6 months I finally got a job at my neighborhood supermarket. Wages are quite a bit less but it's work and the virus isn't going to shut us down.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=thomas11;7408283]
Originally Posted by mikoss View Post
And are you willing to relocate if need be?[/QUOT

eff no. I have paid my dues.
I think a change of attitude would be worth a thought. People all over the world have to move for employment reasons or much, much worse reasons (revolutions, uprisings, extreme poverty, environmental disasters, etc.). I wouldn’t ever consider myself someone that has “paid my dues” and is now above having to move. Why do you get that luxury when so many do not? Life is hard. Get on board and move if need be. Your options would widen extraordinarily. It’s hard to get a job out there. I don’t know how old you are, but I’m sure older than some folks. Often times it’s easier for younger folks to get jobs - it’s not fair, but, again, it’s life. You’re lucky you’re getting a second chance at life, if you’re sober that is. You’re lucky that you didn’t do something horrible while you were drunk, like kill someone or yourself while driving. I don’t think any of us are above moving. Consider yourself lucky if you got a job you would have to move for. Many people in the world would be thrilled for such an opportunity.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
It's not something that's always stated by the candidate, but it definitely comes across, and the hiring team may think of that person as "hard to manage." ............
And lastly, cultivate as much humility and curiosity as you can possibly muster.
^^^ Yes.

When I hire, I'm rarely looking for someone who already knows how to do exactly that job. I'm hiring a person largely to do the job as I define it. I *will* want their ideas and improvements down the road, maybe soon, but first there's building a common knowledge base about the organization & purpose, and building trust. Context and being able to work with the rest of the players is really important to me. I'm way more interested in bringing in someone who is smart, a little humble, and who can learn.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I don't think you can expect to find many companies hiring during a global pandemic. In fact, most businesses are not sure if they will survive. A good portion of my friends have lost their jobs in the last two weeks. Plan for job-hunting a year from now. The true economic impact of this virus hasn't even hit yet.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How did you manage to lose 6 million dollars?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
How did you manage to lose 6 million dollars?
Well I owned a business that was equipment and labor intensive. ANd it was over the course of about 14 years. I had to have trucks and trailers and plows and mowers and all kinds of tools. I also had to have employees, so payroll. So yeah, it comes and goes. always fighting just to stay above water. Tough way to make a living.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I don't think you can expect to find many companies hiring during a global pandemic. In fact, most businesses are not sure if they will survive. A good portion of my friends have lost their jobs in the last two weeks. Plan for job-hunting a year from now. The true economic impact of this virus hasn't even hit yet.

Good Morning Jeff,

I agree with Wastinglife's post. I was just laid off last week due to the virus and, of course, we have all been instructed to self isolate if we are able to. Most everything is closed.

I don't know how long this will last but, job hunting is not something I am considering for the time being.

Please take care of yourself, Jeff. We will all get through this together.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Left coast USA

Well I owned a business that was equipment and labor intensive. ANd it was over the course of about 14 years. I had to have trucks and trailers and plows and mowers and all kinds of tools. I also had to have employees, so payroll. So yeah, it comes and goes. always fighting just to stay above water. Tough way to make a living.
Back to basics time..... Any skills? I have one. I was (still am at 67) very proficient at it. But for a while I made a company out of providing this service to other professionals, primarily contractors and engineers.

My little company grew and grew 20 - 25 years ago. I hired several employees and bought equipment (computers.... very expensive in those days). Well guess what? Before long, I was no longer providing this service myself, but managing a company of young people that would. I hated it.

When the economy was great. Things were great. Then a recession hit my industry. Things slowed down, my guys slowed down. Every Friday was miserable for me. I had to turn to all my personal and financial sources to make the payroll. My credit cards were maxed out. My home mortgaged to the last cent... you get the story.

Fast forward to today. I provide the very same service I did 30 years ago, but now I work out of my home office, by myself, for myself. My own hours. Yes I have kept up with the industry and technology, but I turn away (even today) more projects that I can handle.

Any every penny I earn goes to myself. Hard work and perseverance do pay off.

What are your skills? Find a way to make it work.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've been doing hiring for a long time, too. Very small scale for a small department, but still I have some experience. I'm never really looking for someone with experience doing the job, I'm looking for someone who is teachable, stable and steady and friendly. Most employers have had to supervise people who are trouble makers, difficult and even mean. It's a nightmare. Much easier to teach the job than to try and manage all that.
Also, I'm looking at finding online work. There's a lot of it right now, but I'm thinking I'm not the only one who is deciding to do this, so I'm not going to wait. I do have a job right now, but I am at high risk for this virus and it's a high risk environment, too.
Also, if you aren't concerned about working in public, there are lots and lots of jobs about to come open in grocery, health care and law enforcement and shipping and trucking. Resident Care Assistants for Assisted Living communities are often trained for the job onsite.
I hope you are managing financially.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I need to be humble and grateful. And try to keep my chin up. Which is difficult at times.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

I know that Costco and many of the grocery stores by us are hiring immediately. Have you looked into a job with one of those companies for the time being?
Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Jeff,

I know that Costco and many of the grocery stores by us are hiring immediately. Have you looked into a job with one of those companies for the time being?
I have not as of yet, but if its a surefire way to start receiving income, I'll do it. No problem.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sanity update:
* Not drinking, but honestly have been tempted out of boredom.

* Gyms reopen in 2 days (fingers crossed).

* Have started to reach the point of acceptance (much like alcoholism) and realize that this shut down in our plot in life for a little while.

* Plenty of food and TP. So in good shape there.

* Needed haircut BEFORE the shutdown, now I feel like a hippy.

* Lastly, still very much behind everyone here as we are family and need to support one another without judgement or prejudice. We are survivors.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
nez

* Lastly, still very much behind everyone here as we are family and need to support one another without judgement or prejudice. We are survivors.
We are survivors.
We are survivors.
Amen to this!!! This says it all. Nothing to add. Thanks.