Notices

AA Meetings Not For You? - Opportunity

Old 03-20-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Meetings Not For You? - Opportunity

Just trying to be helpful in this difficult time.

"I am an introvert and going to an AA meeting is not on my list of activities."

"The idea of going to an AA meeting scares me."

I'm an active AAer and I have read posts like this many times. Well thanks to the Corona virus there is a unique opportunity for folks who do not want to go to a FTF AA meeting. Because of the Corona virus AA FTF meetings are being cancelled across the country and on line substitute meetings are popping up everywhere. Here's a great opportunity to really stay anonymous and not have to meet anyone. Just try an online meeting instead.

Our local AA office set up this page to link us to online meetings. My guess is that other AA offices are doing the same.

https://aa-dc.org/online-meeting-list

Maybe it's worth a try for some folks?
Old 03-20-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

That great AAPJ. I am one of those that doesn’t go to AA as the anxiety of group sessions is too much. The one positive of all this is there are so many online meetings at the moment and I intend to go to many. The early morning ones are good for me in the UK as that’s around 11am for me. Stay safe! x
Old 03-22-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This could be kind of cool. I don't go to that many meetings anymore but it looks like I may have some extra time on my hands. If I'm understanding this correctly, I could go to any meeting in the World if I speak the language and have a desire to stop drinking.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

@AAPJ you pretty much read my mind. I've never been to an AA meeting. I'm just scared. But I've been thinking the last few days that maybe this is an opportunity for me to try one in distance.

I found one for tomorrow, it's like over a telecon line, but it's 'closed'. I think that means I have to identify as an alcoholic? I don't know I identify other than I know I have a problem.

I have to see if I can find an open one.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Itsmaria

"I know I have a problem"

The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. If you think you have a problem with Alcohol you can attend closed AA meetings.

I really hope you try an online meeting.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

itsmaria, The term "closed" in relation to AA meetings just means that only those who call themselves alcoholic can participate. Open meetings can be attended by anyone.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm still scared. Doing the best I can.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you itsmaria - you're among friends here - you're not alone
Old 03-31-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay so for a long time I've had a goal to make a list of AA meetings in my area. The goal was just to make the list so I would have it handy. I guess this sounds weak, but I couldn't get beyond that, and even doing that- well i never did that.

But okay now with corona isolation I've been struggling more. I have controls- work/life etc- that I used to keep me somewhat okay ish with re: drinking. Well, those things are gone.

Okay so I need help and it's a good time to push myself. so today I made a list of online meetings I could maybe try. I think I found a beginner meeting. So my goal is by Sunday this week to either reach out to them about joining a meeting or to join a meeting if I can. I would just join, but some say email first. So I will do one or the other by Sunday.

That is pretty much all I can commit to.

Just trying to be honest here.

I'm ambivalent there is a struggle inside. There has been for a long time. But I will report back at least.

Thanks for your patience with me.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so glad you got sober but the title was misleading. Not a fan of AA. The title should be changed for those of us who don't like AA. JMO
Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The intent wasn't to mislead as far as I see it, but I'm sure the OP will make sure next time
This is a time to pull together.

People who aren't into AA can read and move on in 5 seconds.

D
Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ZIP

Itsmaria,
Online AA is a great idea for those wanting to reach out for help. It's a chance to connect with peers, maybe learn a thing or two... and make a friend or two.
I'd be interested in reading about your experience if you decide to participate.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Nate - Sorry you were misled. Perhaps I could have titled it more carefully.

Maybe:

Afraid to Attend FTF AA Meetings? - Opportunity

Would have been better. As far as I know I can't change the title.

I have zero interest in misleading folks who have decided they do not like AA to go to a meeting. For me it's a program of attraction.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I will start my own thread later today
Old 04-01-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

not trying to put anyone off using Zoom - but be savvy.

Be aware and educated on what you might be sharing - don't log on to Zoom from FB for example.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 04-02-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I find using cameras with strangers very uncomfortable. I find real life meetings to be uncomfortable as well. Part of the plan is to feel uncomfortable in an AA meeting anyway, I quite like the way it makes you feel like its YOU under the spotlight when in actual reality everyone is mostly feeling the same way as you! Jesus I still get sweaty palms when im going to share and ive shared quite a bit over the years lol.

Can I just say guys that my pet peev is the word cant. Cant means wont in 99% of cases. Its an easy response and a quick way out in my opinion. If I had my way id have it deleted from the dictionary.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah I wouldn't be using zoom if it weren't for this shutdown.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been in and out of AA since 2018. I'm not entirely comfortable with the Zoom/whatsapp meetings something about the format makes me paranoid. I liked the IRL meetings but we are were we are.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeNeedsTime View Post
Can I just say guys that my pet peev is the word cant. Cant means wont in 99% of cases. Its an easy response and a quick way out in my opinion. If I had my way id have it deleted from the dictionary.
I assume based on this that unlike some of us you dont have mental issues other than alcoholism. Ptsd and anxiety in my case. Consider yourself lucky. Let us know how you get on with the dictionary people.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post

I assume based on this that unlike some of us you dont have mental issues other than alcoholism. Ptsd and anxiety in my case. Consider yourself lucky. Let us know how you get on with the dictionary people.
You appear to base a lot of assumptions around one comment. Im sorry if my positive outlook on recovery annoys you.

Have a nice day!