Notices

I can’t keep drinking

Old 03-12-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you want to save your life, Al34. I agree with Anna that motivation is key - I was so broken when I came to SR I was willing to try anything. I was so desperate to get free that checking in here constantly was enough - but I would have gone to rehab if that's what it took. As least said - I hope you find a method that keeps you sober. It's a very personal thing. We're here to encourage you, no matter what way you choose.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Name one good reason to go it alone, after you define alone for me. Be honest.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Rehab is a scam.
I think you missed out an 'in my opinion' there Chris.

Rehabs saved a few SR friends lives, just like AA Smart and Rational Recovery have.

We don't have to believe in everything, but I think we can respect other peoples choices - in fact we insist on it here.

Lets get off this, and back to helping Al, folks.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 03-12-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going Al?

D
Old 03-12-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm thinking of you too, Al.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Hawkeye13;7402086]Salvation Army Rehab is free. It ain’t fancy, but it can get you some sober time and tools.

Your relapse cycle is literally killing you. How many hospital runs in just the past 12 months WL?

I would rather die than go to the Salvation Army. They really are for the homeless. I went to a publicly funded detox a couple years ago and there were homeless men with respiratory infections and skin diseases. Much better off detoxing at home
Old 03-13-2020, 04:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're entitled to your opinion WL, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from at least checking out Salvation Army or Govt run rehab programmes.

D
Old 03-13-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Smile You cannot do it alone...

I am not one to speak because 23 years of alcohol abuse and I am only 14 days in this time but I have had years of sobriety in my drinking career. One thing in all of those years that I learned is that if you want it bad enough, you can fight it but you cannot do it alone! AA helps, a sponsor helps more but you have to be willing to help yourself.

Cold turkey fo awhile isn't going to cut it. If I pick up a drink again, just one... it will lead me down a path that I cannot do again, I do not know if i'd survive another drunk or detox. I will have severe consequences... lose my husband, my home, my dogs, I have already lost my job and because I was arrested with a DUI, I am trying to stay out of jail so, I am fighting.

If you are isolated and alone a lot, you should try to make some friends in AA. Just get some phone numbers of people who you can relate to. Call them when you need to, hang out with them face to face and help each other! Remember that males with males and females with females, do NOT try and make friends with the opposite sex, trust me, it is NOT healthy; I've been down that road before.

Stay strong, ask your higher power to guide you and give you strength. Write your feeling in a forum, like this and work your program. God helps those who helps themselves. I know, I know... you've probably done all this before as most of us have. As my sponsor says... Remember where that first drink go you last time, do you want that again? it just isn't worth it.

and btw, I had no money years ago for my first rehab, second rehab, third or even fourth... all you need to do is to google "local rehab near me" and pick up that phone, explain that you have no money or insurance and they should be able to direct you. Two weeks ago in my black out drunk, I called a rehab, they booked me a flight, I paid for it with my credit card (flight only) and I had someone who was coming to my door the next morning to give me a lift. I declined and cancelled the next day when I sobered up only because I had the "court" to deal with and realized I couldn't go. Regardless, If I could do that drunk, imagine what you can do sober... people are out there who will pull you in with no money. You got this!
Old 03-13-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I didn't quit on my own, I used Sober Recovery.