Notices

Unemployed Loser

Old 03-02-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
you can always state which employers to check for references and which not to call. i also think it's helpful that if you were drinking at that last job, it's quite likely that had a LOT to do with your separation, not just because they didn't like you. were you always 100% on the job? every day? just curious.

as far as looking for work, i'm afraid if you don't work on transforming your outlook you are not doing yourself ANY favors. your negativity oozes out of this post, your "loser" mentality, and your poor outlook towards past and future employers. recruiters can "see" that - from your resume to your voice. and it will certainly be apparent in any interview. i certainly wouldn't put someone who had such a poor self image and outlook in the call back pile!

my point is you CAN do a lot to improve your hire-ability. but you have to WANT to get hired and then play the job game. kinda like getting sober....you can't half ass it and expect to reap the benefits.
I drank on the job (regretably) but was never caught. They knew about it because of my hangovers / withdrawal. I don't have any other employers to list as a reference since the company I worked for long ago went out of business. Good luck getting hired without references.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

College degrees aren't worthwhile for the most part to me personally.

I view college degrees like finding gold almost. For the most part it's just dirt (college degrees) and at other times it's pay dirt (10% of college degrees if not up to 25%-35% are in the pay dirt realm). Many seem to be more expensive than they are really worth or are just a waste of time for the most part (many fall into this problem area). Underwater Antarctican basket weaving type stuff is not worth it at all in the long run.

I was going to school for a while to be an electrician.

Unemployed doesn't make you a loser.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Volunteer? I made breakfast for disadvantaged school kids at one time. They were really great to work with. Hungry, economically disadvantaged, but great kids. Degrees obtained through the school of hard knocks. It was really good, and I'm not one for charity. I know the origins of 'social work'. Still, It was great sharing bread, cereal, and juice. Fruit too. Hallelujah!

If you get into some meaningful volunteering and remain sober I'm sure the organisation you lend your time will write you a reference. Good. Works.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I drank on the job (regretably) but was never caught. They knew about it because of my hangovers / withdrawal. I don't have any other employers to list as a reference since the company I worked for long ago went out of business. Good luck getting hired without references.

do you SEE your own negativity here? you make Eeyore look happy.
can't, never, won't, uh uh, nope. that is not going to HELP you. it WILL keep you stuck and possibly headed towards the bottle again tho.

it's up to you. always.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

All I know is I just need my meetings.
My sponsor celebrated 28 years today.
It's not all about me and I need to be reminded of that sometimes.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post

Go to trade school at most and be greedy / selfish.

I
How is learning a trade greedy and selfish? It's hard and honest work. I've worked HVAC for 6 years now. Yeah I struggle with drink but by god I wake up early every day and work hard and earn hard.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cj203 View Post
How is learning a trade greedy and selfish? It's hard and honest work. I've worked HVAC for 6 years now. Yeah I struggle with drink but by god I wake up early every day and work hard and earn hard.
I didn't mean it like that cj. I was just in a crappy place this morning - sober but frustrated and wanting to rant about anything and everything.

No offense intended.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You sound like a smart guy. You had to be to pull off a physics major and if you were drunk while doing it imagine your intellectual power sober!

College may have not gotten you far but you have proven your incredible intellect. Harness your strengths and hone in on a job, frankly any job to help build your resume.

As for references, my friend used me as one to get a job and we met working retail 15 years ago. I gave her a glowing reference using the skills she demonstrated selling bed sheets. The interviewer said, “wow, sounds like a great candidate thank you.” Needless to say she was hired.

References don’t always have to be current or even in the line of work you are applying for. Most of the time I think they just want to see if the person they are considering is worth giving a chance to.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Any way to get medicaid to pay for my root canal on my front tooth? Being healthy is kind of important for job interviewing.
Medicaid is different state by state but you should be able to get that covered. Have you called them? I live in a very red state, really lousy support for anyone that isn't middle class. And I actually had pretty good dental when I had medicaid. Its just finding a dentist that will take medicaid....at least that was my biggest challenge.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was in the HVAC trade for a while building metal in the shop and doing a lot of ductwork hanging and trim in the field.

I was laid off because we were "low on work." But really I was laid off because I don't fit in and they knew about my alcoholism.
When there is money on the line, basic human decency goes out the window.

By the way, I have two technical degrees. One in physics and the other in mechanical engineering.
With your degrees you could probably substitute teach in high school. It actually pays pretty well. Unless you have a criminal record, then you're out. But you should check it out. I have a friend that does it and, besides the whole 'teenager thing', she loves it.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Since you aren't working right now what about getting a volunteer job? If you get some decent track record with them you can use them as your reference. I haven't worked in a long time and need to start. I have been told that this is a way to 'get a dog in the race' when you can't find anything else.