Notices

Lent update

Old 02-28-2020, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lent update

Lasted until Thursday and slipped up. Feel ashamed however I have not had a drink today.

I got Sober in March last year and lasted 5 months and 9 days, I am still proud of that.

Relapse has lasted 6 months, time now to bring it to an end.

I will read through the previous thread as there is some really good advise on plans.

The most difficult time of day for me is leaving work that is when I am at my most vulnerable! I have tried leaving my bank card it work but that has not worked.

It is so frustrating fighting this battle!

I need to stay positive and keep trying.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Part of my recovery plan has been to physically call three people if I’m struck with a really intense craving. Sometimes the craving is gone after the first call, sometimes it takes all three.

There was one day I was in the parking lot of a grocery store and I was certain I was going to buy alcohol, but I called my three people and read some posts on here, and I managed to go home without relapsing.

Is this something you’re able to do after work as you’re going home to help you ride out that difficult time? The call doesn’t have to be about alcohol. You can just catch up with a friend. Sometimes it’s easier to actually talk to people instead of just reading here or fighting with yourself. You can get stuck in your own head and the AV can be very convincing.

Just an idea. I hope you manage to come up with a solid plan and put it into action to stay sober. Rooting for you.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is something about leaving work which makes me particularly vulnerable. It must be the stress!
Old 02-28-2020, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It’s also probably habit to some extent. That’s why I suggested calling someone to keep your mind off it.

Other ideas could be taking a different route home, leaving at a different time, or scheduling something after work to help change up your schedule/habits.

This all needs to go hand in hand with an actual recovery plan, though. I know everyone keeps harping on it, but that’s because it works. It’s hard, but you have to really put the work in if you want to stop drinking and stay sober.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stop drinking, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
In order to stop drinking, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink.
I couldn't agree more. It's why I don't drink.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

So try to change your leaving work routine. How about going to the gym before going home? Or maybe try driving home via a different route? Changing daily routines can be helpful in getting through the early days.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can't quit on your own for more than a day or two, maybe its time to call in reinforcements - AA or some other meeting based approach or some kind of inpatient or outpatient rehab?

D
Old 02-28-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my experience when I tried to get sober around or based on arbitrary events (lent, a race, a diet) I would always turn back to the bottle. It would be exciting that the time to quit was coming and then, because it was so unsecured a reason to be sober, I would find a way to pick up and choose to drink again. I'm sorry to hear you did the same. But good for you for coming back here to let us know. What's the plan?
​​​​
Old 02-28-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
So try to change your leaving work routine. How about going to the gym before going home? Or maybe try driving home via a different route? Changing daily routines can be helpful in getting through the early days.
this is what I do. I picked a gym close to my work and make a point to go 5 times a week!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it’s always comforting for an alcoholic to agree to give up alcohol for a set amount of time ie Lent. The reason being it leaves the possibility of drinking again open.

i will stop drinking permanently because I am an alcoholic and a gambling addict!

I have identified my vulnerable time of day and like the idea of going to the gym.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I think it’s always comforting for an alcoholic to agree to give up alcohol for a set amount of time ie Lent. The reason being it leaves the possibility of drinking again open.

i will stop drinking permanently because I am an alcoholic and a gambling addict!

I have identified my vulnerable time of day and like the idea of going to the gym.

What's your plan for quitting permanently?
Old 03-01-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

30 days in rehab is just like Lent. Food for thought.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post

It sounds like whatever you are doing to get sober and stay that way isn't working.

Why don't you do what Dee suggested and pick and follow a plan of recovery?
Old 03-02-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Had friends who didn’t drink for lent and they lasted through the whole thing. I think the longest I went was 4 days.

Sober now for 28 months, there was no tapering , no date setting . I unceremoniously stopped. I drank everyday , I just threw myself into recovery. One drink takes me back to the toilet. Keep it in today.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Instead of focusing on what you’re not going to do (drinking), focus on what you ARE going to do (ex gym, coffee on the way home). As soon as the alcohol enters my mind I immediately refocus on my PLANNED activity. We have the power to choose what we think about. This has worked really well for me so far (day 61).

If I have a yearning for it (hasn’t happened yet) my plan is to immediately refocus on the negatives of alcohol. I’ve been brainwashing myself with as much negative info on alcohol I can find....which probably explains the lack of yearning to a degree.

Keep trying because every fail is a learning experience that will eventually lead to long term success.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Stable?

D
Old 03-03-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whats up Stable?
Old 03-03-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Where are you Stable?
Old 03-03-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are we doing Stable? We still sober for Lent? Lent is a good time to get sober. Let us know what is going on.