Notices

Allen Carr's Stop Smoking book

Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
I just looked and I have The Easy Way to Quit Alcohol by Alan but have not read it yet and don't believe it is as easy as anyone says whether they wrote a book or not.
I got it in a bundle with This Naked Mind which I have started reading.

It sounds like they are similar methods as far as training the unconscious minds which I do believe needs to be a part of recovery.

I quit cigs cold turkey 20+ years ago so no need to read that one now.

I will say I believe you get out of any book, method, etc. what you want to get out of it.
If you believe it will help then it probably will. If you are convinced it's hogwash then it probably won't help.

That said, I have been following you in your journey and it's great to see you reaching out for new tools for your sobriety.
Killer, I am at the point where I have now stopped the destruction (drinking and smoking) as was my intention, and now I must maintain. Know any good methods/books for that?

Funny what you said about believing in a method and it working for you. I agree-- either way.

I'm really tired these first two days after quitting smoking. I read that's normal, so I'm just taking it easy, napping when I can.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

kjma to be honest I white knuckled quitting cigs until the cravings went away.
I have tried a cig or two when drinking in the past 20 years but the 1st couple puffs were so disgusting I stomped them out. I AM FREE!lol

As far as maintaining sobriety I am only around 40 days sober so I can't really say what works and what doesn't.
I will say I, for the 1st time, REALLY want it so that has made it possible to get this far.

I am reading This Naked Mind as some here have suggested and have Allen's book also so hoping to add to my sober arsenal as well.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

there's a lot of books listed here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee!
Old 02-25-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
kjma to be honest I white knuckled quitting cigs until the cravings went away.
I have tried a cig or two when drinking in the past 20 years but the 1st couple puffs were so disgusting I stomped them out. I AM FREE!lol

As far as maintaining sobriety I am only around 40 days sober so I can't really say what works and what doesn't.
I will say I, for the 1st time, REALLY want it so that has made it possible to get this far.

I am reading This Naked Mind as some here have suggested and have Allen's book also so hoping to add to my sober arsenal as well.
Hi Killer, let me know what you gain from that book, please? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I used to be a smoker Kjma, but I quit a while back about 2 years ago. The only times I ever smoked was when I would do way too much cocaine and I would crave cigarettes and could chain smoke one after another when drinking and doing a lot of cocaine.

Other than that I never had cravings for cigarettes after I quit smoking a pack a day when I was smoking regularly.

I just sort of weaned myself off of cigarettes. I smoked less and less until I eventually just quit. Even when I was drinking a lot I didn't smoke. But when I did large amounts of cocaine I would smoke like crazy. And then stop when I wasn't doing the coke.

But smoking for me when I was smoking a lot regularly turned me into almost a pack a day smoker. And then I just went from a pack to half a pack a day and then a few cigarettes a day to none. I never liked the smell of cigarette smoke though which is why I always smoked outside in order to not fill my house with cigarette smoke.

I think everybody just has to find what works for them. My friend quit with the medication. I forget which one but she quit with some medication she took.

You can do it though. You just have to find what works for you.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjma View Post
Hi Killer, let me know what you gain from that book, please? Thanks!
I sure will

I am a slow reader though lol
Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've read both. The smoking one worked for me. The drinking one didn't .