Notices

Allen Carr's Stop Smoking book

Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Allen Carr's Stop Smoking book

Good way-early-morning (or late night) all,

I just finished reading this book and smoked my last ever cigarette. If any of you have ever read it, did you have the thought that the method could be applied to drinking as well? Seems to me that it could (minus the ease of physical withdrawal from nicotine). But the whole premise that not one good thing comes from nicotine addiction, and one should approach it as a very happy ending, the rewiring of the brain with thoughts of how free we are rather than trying to avoid the thoughts to smoke that inevitably arise, seems appropriate, at least to me, for alcohol addiction. Why aren't we talking about how easy it could be if approached in the same way? Maybe I'm missing something? Addiction is addiction, right?
Old 02-22-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is an Allen Carr stop drinking book as well
but I’ve not read the smoking one to say how similar it is.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started it and made it ¾ through. About everything I did read I was thinking of how it related to my quitting the alcohol and what really jumped out at me was the willpower and how it wasn't effective in the quit for smoking.
I tried the willpower before with the booze but when I decided I really didn't want to drink, that helped me a lot at least.
I intend to get back to the book but for now, the drinking is my main focus.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bought this book, on more than one occasion. Never got around to reading it though.

I've probably picked up the one about drinking also. Some people swear by the former
Old 02-23-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've got one of his quit drinking books and it's packed full of good stuff that makes sense but for me is probably a bit too simplistic to be all you need, probably because alcohol affects your emotions and parts of your life you don't even consider, so much more than nicotine.

I'd recommend it to help maintain motivation though, once you've already got some sobriety under your belt.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I bought the stop smoking book about 2001 or 2002 and did find it useful at the time (though ultimately I did start smoking again). I remember thinking at the time that some of what I was reading could also be applied to stopping drinking so it didn't come as any surprise when I later learned he'd written a similar book about alcohol. I did buy that one about 10 years ago, read the first few pages and then didn't read any further. I still have the stop smoking one but I must have thrown out the alcohol one as the last time I looked for it I couldn't find it.

I didn't read enough of the alcohol one to know if his whole approach to stop smoking / stop drinking were the same but as he / his publishing company then published similar books for losing weight, stop gambling, sugar addiction, being sucessful and a whole lot more I'm assuming that he (or someone else for the later books given he died in 2006) uses a similar approach in each book.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've read the alcohol one and the approach is pretty much identical to the stop smoking one. I did actually stop for maybe a couple of weeks but I dont think it alone was enough to sustain it for me.
I did the 30 day alcohol experiment this time and the approach just worked for me completely, it's kind of focused on changing your subconscious rather than logic (which the AC focuses on)... your AV doesnt care about logic and you cant beat it with logic alone.
I found the alcohol experiment really changed my thoughts and behaviours. Theres exercises and videos to do daily, I suppose in a way similar to working the steps. With Alan Carr you read the book then just stop but I needed something with more to it. TAE is free to sign up to. You also get weekly newsletters from her ongoing.
I also found 2 books really helpful, The Unexpected Joy of Sobriety and This Naked Mind. I found them to be really focused on what you gain and found them inspiring.
I'm now 54 days in and have to say, for the first time ever, LOVING sobriety and all it has to offer. I'm pretty much euphoric right now!
I hope you find the way that works for you.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
I started it and made it ¾ through. About everything I did read I was thinking of how it related to my quitting the alcohol and what really jumped out at me was the willpower and how it wasn't effective in the quit for smoking.
I tried the willpower before with the booze but when I decided I really didn't want to drink, that helped me a lot at least.
I intend to get back to the book but for now, the drinking is my main focus.
I completely understand. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There is an Allen Carr stop drinking book as well
but I’ve not read the smoking one to say how similar it is.
Wow! Should have guessed that.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
I've got one of his quit drinking books and it's packed full of good stuff that makes sense but for me is probably a bit too simplistic to be all you need, probably because alcohol affects your emotions and parts of your life you don't even consider, so much more than nicotine.

I'd recommend it to help maintain motivation though, once you've already got some sobriety under your belt.
I wondered if people would think his approach
not complex enough. To tell you the truth, I had way more trepidation regarding quitting smoking than quitting drinking because of how thoroughly the former had permeated my life. I had strong emotions about both, but knew before I ever wanted to quit that neither offered me one good thing and both were leading to an early demise.

I know everyone is different. And many different approaches work. I very much appreciate your input. Thank you for sharing!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
I bought the stop smoking book about 2001 or 2002 and did find it useful at the time (though ultimately I did start smoking again). I remember thinking at the time that some of what I was reading could also be applied to stopping drinking so it didn't come as any surprise when I later learned he'd written a similar book about alcohol. I did buy that one about 10 years ago, read the first few pages and then didn't read any further. I still have the stop smoking one but I must have thrown out the alcohol one as the last time I looked for it I couldn't find it.

I didn't read enough of the alcohol one to know if his whole approach to stop smoking / stop drinking were the same but as he / his publishing company then published similar books for losing weight, stop gambling, sugar addiction, being sucessful and a whole lot more I'm assuming that he (or someone else for the later books given he died in 2006) uses a similar approach in each book.
Yes, that's what I'm gathering. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
I've read the alcohol one and the approach is pretty much identical to the stop smoking one. I did actually stop for maybe a couple of weeks but I dont think it alone was enough to sustain it for me.
I did the 30 day alcohol experiment this time and the approach just worked for me completely, it's kind of focused on changing your subconscious rather than logic (which the AC focuses on)... your AV doesnt care about logic and you cant beat it with logic alone.
I found the alcohol experiment really changed my thoughts and behaviours. Theres exercises and videos to do daily, I suppose in a way similar to working the steps. With Alan Carr you read the book then just stop but I needed something with more to it. TAE is free to sign up to. You also get weekly newsletters from her ongoing.
I also found 2 books really helpful, The Unexpected Joy of Sobriety and This Naked Mind. I found them to be really focused on what you gain and found them inspiring.
I'm now 54 days in and have to say, for the first time ever, LOVING sobriety and all it has to offer. I'm pretty much euphoric right now!
I hope you find the way that works for you.
Thanks so much for sharing what worked for you.. I'm at Day 7 for Alcohol after a 13 day stretch, then a drink, then started counting again right away.

If what I'm doing doesn't work, I will search out the program you mention.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 11 years ago with the help of whyquit.com. when I quit drinking 16 months ago I could not help but constantly compare the similarities and differences from quiting the two different addictions. And yes, I was able to apply some of the quitting smoking techniques I learned from whyquit.com to quitting drinking.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There's definitely overlap in quitting smoking and alcohol.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I read Carr’s drinking book last fall ( about 3 months before I did an inpatient detox in January. ) I hated it. I felt Carr took the plan for smoking and applied it identically to drinking, when there are huge differences in the two addictions (I quit smoking decades ago, but had been totally addicted to cigarettes.)

But lots of people seem to find it useful. I do like what both he and Annie Grace have to say about the influence of society and media and advertising. That we are being brainwashed to believe drinking is glamorous, that is leads to deeper friendships, more romantic relationships and all good things.

I thought his advice to all drinkers to decide to quit and then just do it cold turkey was irresponsible and dangerous, completely ignoring that people physiologically addicted can go through dangerous withdrawal.

But all of us find different kinds of help and support in all different places!
Old 02-23-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm like Tetrax, I read and liked his drinking book. Though it didn't cure me I took his things from it to add to my toolkit.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read the drinking book after I quit but the ideas in it like asking yourself what this drink will really do for you are ideas I used all the time for a while.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I’ve read both, pretty much identical approach. Neither worked for me, although I’ve had short periods of stopping smoking using it (it didn’t stop me drinking). For me it highlights the sheer stupidness of smoking - makes you consider what on earth am I getting out of it. And there is no good answer. But with drinking, at least until the end, I could answer (rightly or wrongly) that such and such time was fun.

We can all say “I had some fun nights out drinking” but no-one says “I had some fun nights out smoking”. That’s the difference for me and why the method doesn’t apply as well to drinking as smoking.

now I’m over a year sober I’m looking in to going to an Allen Carr stop smoking clinic or maybe a hypnotist
Old 02-24-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyAgain View Post
I’ve read both, pretty much identical approach. Neither worked for me, although I’ve had short periods of stopping smoking using it (it didn’t stop me drinking). For me it highlights the sheer stupidness of smoking - makes you consider what on earth am I getting out of it. And there is no good answer. But with drinking, at least until the end, I could answer (rightly or wrongly) that such and such time was fun.

We can all say “I had some fun nights out drinking” but no-one says “I had some fun nights out smoking”. That’s the difference for me and why the method doesn’t apply as well to drinking as smoking.

now I’m over a year sober I’m looking in to going to an Allen Carr stop smoking clinic or maybe a hypnotist
Flyagain, yes, I can see that as an argument against his approach to drinking, that and that drinking does cause one to become uninhibited, along with possible dire consequences of quitting. cold turkey as people mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thanks all for the discussion! I love interaction that helps me see all sides of a subject.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just looked and I have The Easy Way to Quit Alcohol by Alan but have not read it yet and don't believe it is as easy as anyone says whether they wrote a book or not.
I got it in a bundle with This Naked Mind which I have started reading.

It sounds like they are similar methods as far as training the unconscious minds which I do believe needs to be a part of recovery.

I quit cigs cold turkey 20+ years ago so no need to read that one now.

I will say I believe you get out of any book, method, etc. what you want to get out of it.
If you believe it will help then it probably will. If you are convinced it's hogwash then it probably won't help.

That said, I have been following you in your journey and it's great to see you reaching out for new tools for your sobriety.