Notices

Made it past a year.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it past a year.

My 1 year came and went on January 7th. Pretty good feeling. Depression and anxiety still linger. Paws like symptoms come and go. Could be partly due to winter time and dark all the time. Hopefully spring brings back happier days. I feel like after a while the excitement of being sober and the “yay I did it!!” feeling wears off. I almost feel like moving forward will be more of a challenge now than it was to get to the first year.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kaboom123 View Post
I almost feel like moving forward will be more of a challenge now than it was to get to the first year.
Congrats on a year sober.

As for how you feel, you didn't get to where you were in one year of drinking, you aren't going to get where you need to be in one year of sobriety.

As big as an accomplishment as my first year of sobriety was, I made bigger stride in my recovery in year two and even more in the third year of being sober.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year! I understand the seasonal issues, I tend to be a lot more down in the winter months too. It can be a challenge when I don't see the sun too much. Don't give up on your recovery, though. Like Carl said we have so many better years to look forward to without drinking.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year+!
SAD seasonal affective disorder I believe it is called.
Yeah I get that too.
I love being outdoors and winter just puts a damper on that.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Huge congratulations on your year! Spring is not so far off now.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on the year- great milestone!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ZIP

That's a huge accomplishment, my friend!
I was elated when I finally got my first year in. And, as the weeks and months click by, it gets even better.
I actually like telling folks, "Oh, no thanks. I don't drink.".
It's like being the hip trendsetter in the room :-)
Congratulations. Well done, indeed!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on passing the 1 year milestone.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one year sober! I too noticed changes in my second year of sobriety. I felt more 'settled' and comfortable.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Terrific job!!

Honestly, while one year was obviously huge - it was also kinda...better at month 13. I knew I would hit 12 by the time it was upon me. It was indeed a big celebration. I also learned that yrs 2 and then 3 and now a few wks short of bday 4, each one has been different.

In a lot of ways I hit my stride in 2019 so the 2 to 3 yrs. The last yr has brought even more significant growth as well as the ability to deal w some real sh*t.

Everything keeps getting better tho, as it is clearer, actionable in effective ways, and my life is reflexively muscled in good ways now.

Keep going!
Old 01-30-2020, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kaboom
Congrats on your year!

It could be a seasonal thing for sure - what are you doing with your days tho - do you have any time for you? what kinds of things do you enjoy doing now you're sober?

D
Old 01-30-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

One year, Kaboom - how fabulous. So happy for you.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year!
Old 01-30-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulation on 1 year sober!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Starting to wonder what the point of any of it is any more. Not any more or less happy than I was drinking. Things have very much so plateaued. Tired of being sober and eating healthy and going to the gym, it’s boring alone. I do everything alone. What’s the point if I’m not happy either way. At least there were moments of happiness before. I could probably moderate pretty well these daysl. And if not a new day 1 would give me something new to do again. I don’t know. I don’t know anything anymore. Just sick of everything.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 1 year soberversary!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I do everything alone.
You going to drink alone too? Doesn't sound like fun either.

In part, you are alone because drinking took away everything you cared about. Alcohol won't bring it back, or make you happy.

Sober, you can start building your life back. Why not start moving in that direction.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hear you. Yes I’ll do that alone too. I have been building my life in that direction but there doesn’t seem to be anything at the end. I’m over it all.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I hear you. Yes I’ll do that alone too. I have been building my life in that direction but there doesn’t seem to be anything at the end. I’m over it all.
If you are in a depressive state, please see an MD before you do something that has the potential to be irreversible--and that's drink.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The point Kaboom is that you won't suffer the miseries that drinking brought upon you.

I stopped for 5 years once Kaboom and can remember feeling the way you feel at 12 months. The plateau, the boredom, loneliness, anxiety, and then the, "I could probably moderate pretty well these days." Twelve months is a long time for goodness sake.! I've got this! I used to go to AA and heard many people say 12 months was tricky for them

Loneliness seems to come up a lot in your posts Kaboom. This time (for me) I know I have to start reengaging with life. Meeting people.

I don't know if you go to AA but in the beginning it did get me out and talking with people. And not always about drinking. I did make a couple of good friends. Some, I wouldn't have had a drink with if I were drinking. . That's life everywhere you go.

I have PAWS from benzo's Kaboom. Twelve months off. It can really impact and influence your decision making. Would seeing a therapist, addictions counsellor help? Talk about the way you are feeling?

I hope you choose to remain sober Kaboom. Work on your feeling state not the quick fix that alcohol pretends to offer. It's a con.

Wishing you the very best Kaboom and huge congratulations on 12 months of sobriety.